Check your account email address ×

Anyone know about boilers?

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Ok, the Square D breaker #QOU260 2 pole was tripped and would not stay on when reset, he brought it here and I flipped it a few times and it now stays on, however 1 pole showed no continuity but after flipping it on/off a few more times it does have continuity now on both poles, he has ordered a new breaker..next is (I haven't been there) there is a Magnetic Backup Contactor that had 9 wires going/coming from it, it has 2 small square buttons, now he doesn't know if they are supposed to be in or out but they will not stay in when pushed in..this is all the info I have.

The breaker was likely just bad....it happens

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

One of the electrical components is burned out in the control panel. Even my old, oil-fired boiler has a number of electrical control boxes on it. 

If it worked 12 years, that is good. That leads me to believe it's your electronic/electrical control boxes that are probably gone, and not the boiler itself. Hard to believe a local tech can't diagnose that............just a process of elimination/testing.

Let me take that back, YES I CAN BELIEVE IT!! 

Oh I believe the boiler is ok..this thing has an outside sensor which reduces power to the unit when certain outside temps. are reached, also has a similar device indoors, kinda complicated system.

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The boiler is likely fed by a two pole breaker. If it’s a modulating boiler there will be contactors for the elements. Possibly one of the contactors shit the bed. We’d need to know what model the boiler is

Model number B12U

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Oh I believe the boiler is ok..this thing has an outside sensor which reduces power to the unit when certain outside temps. are reached, also has a similar device indoors, kinda complicated system.

Just watched a vid on TROUBLE-SHOOTING THERMOLEC BOILER.................he tested the RELAYS...............they were bad.  

6 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Square D breakers have to be pushed all the way OFF before resetting to ON, if it was crunchy it's toast. 

Yes I know that, installed many..it was not crunchy, seemed normal, I compared it to new ones I have here, however this breaker is different then the SqD's I have, it is flush mounted with tabs and has a type of reset switch on the back and the normal on/off switch on front.

Edited by XCR1250

30 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

The outside temp sensor adjusts discharge water temp based on a few preset curves you can select. It’s actually pretty simple. The power to the unit is constant. It modulates between sets of elements as demand requires. My boiler has 3 elements and will run with 1-2-3 depending on demand. The elements each draw 4.8 kw

Just now, f7ben said:

The outside temp sensor adjusts discharge water temp based on a few preset curves you can select. It’s actually pretty simple. The power to the unit is constant. It modulates between sets of elements as demand requires. My boiler has 3 elements and will run with 1-2-3 depending on demand. The elements each draw 4.8 kw

Ok.

What about the Magnetic Backup Contactor, should those 2 small push buttons stay in when pushed in? He has no power going in at this time, it's been shot off at the main box.

8 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Ok.

What about the Magnetic Backup Contactor, should those 2 small push buttons stay in when pushed in? He has no power going in at this time, it's been shot off at the main box.

Those buttons will pull in when the coil is energized. They should not stay in when pushed in

Just now, Polaris 550 said:

STFU you fukker, I said it was the control units and the circuit breaker from the git go. You stupid fuck. No broad, no money. Probably suck dick.  

Not in this thread !! Xcr1250 is good people 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Ok I'll let him know..thanks I may have more questions afterwards.

It sounds to me that you just have a bad breaker. Every thing bhen said is correct with the limited info given. Don’t get confused with the sensors. It’s call a boiler reset control and would bet it’s on a 24v Control circuit. High unlikely that it’s tripping the 220v breaker. It’s possible one of the elements is bad,sounds like you have three. You can ohm them out to find the bad one. Pull the coil wire on the contactor of the bad one. It will work and heat on two stages. I find it real hard to believe that he can’t find a contractor to work on it. Probably he is to cheap to hire one. Very easy to work on. 

3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It sounds to me that you just have a bad breaker. Every thing bhen said is correct with the limited info given. Don’t get confused with the sensors. It’s call a boiler reset control and would bet it’s on a 24v Control circuit. High unlikely that it’s tripping the 220v breaker. It’s possible one of the elements is bad,sounds like you have three. You can ohm them out to find the bad one. Pull the coil wire on the contactor of the bad one. It will work and heat on two stages. I find it real hard to believe that he can’t find a contractor to work on it. Probably he is to cheap to hire one. Very easy to work on. 

It's our area, there very few contractors here, the 2 he's spoke with weren't any help, he even called the Power Company looking for recommendations and they had none..Jump River Electric.

Just now, XCR1250 said:

It's our area, there very few contractors here, the 2 he's spoke with weren't any help, he even called the Power Company looking for recommendations and they had none..Jump River Electric.

Keep calling until he finds one that works on boilers. Has to be commercial contractor in that area.