Check your account email address ×

Wealth concentration near ‘levels last seen during the Roaring Twenties,’ study finds

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

hArD wErK!!!! sElF mAdE!!!

So the majority of these guys started companies using family financing. That's a bad thing? I kind of think it's a good thing that families can acquire some wealth over a few generations. Better than being third generation welfare recipients which there are plenty.

2 minutes ago, s pump said:

So the majority of these guys started companies using family financing. That's a bad thing? I kind of think it's a good thing that families can acquire some wealth over a few generations. Better than being third generation welfare recipients which there are plenty.

nO oNe HeLpEd MeEeE!!!!

aLl On My OwN!!!

12 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Amazon.com: Founder Jeff Bezos got a $100,000 investment from his parents to start the famous online store.

American Apparel: Founder Dov Charney borrowed $10,000 from his father to start manufacturing clothing.

Chipotle: Founder Steve Ellis opened his 1st restaurant outside the University of Denver with an $85,000 loan from his dad.

CompuServe Corp: Pioneering online service provider was founded on $1 million from co-founder Jeff Wilkins’ father-in-law.

Spin Magazine: Bob Guccione Jr. is son of the publisher of Penthouse Magazine who loaned him $2 million to get started.

GoPro: Nick Woodman’s parents, (father is co-founder of investment bank Robertson Stephens), lent him $235,000 to get started.

Poundland: The UK’s massive dollar store chain began with a £50,000 investment from founder Steve Smith’s father.

SpaceX/Tesla: Elon Musk’s first company Zip2 was founded with $28,000 of his father’s money. That sold to Compaq for $307 million and $34 million in stock options and set Musk on the path to creating X.com/Paypal, SpaceX, and Tesla.

Squarespace: Founder Anthony Casalena received $30,000 from his father in 2003 to build his all-in-one web publishing suite.

Xmission: Utah’s oldest ISP was founded in 1993 based on an undisclosed investment from founder Pete Ashdown’s father.

Vente-Privee.com: French e-commerce site was built by Jackques-Antoine Granjon with $3,000 he received from his father, a real estate developer.

Applebee’s: In 1980, husband and wife restaurateurs Bill and TJ Palmer received $5,200 from their parents to construct the first Applebee’s restaurant in Atlanta.

Friendly’s Ice Cream: Brothers Prestley and Curtis Blake opened their signature ice cream business in 1935 with a $500 investment from their parents. In 2015 dollars, that investment is worth $8,679.

Jimmy John’s: Founder Jimmy John Liautaud accepted a $25,000 loan from his father to start his chain of sandwich shops.

Enso Capital Management: Founded by Joshua Fink with a “minority investment” from his father Laurence Fink, a co-founder of BlackRock Inc.

Cobalt Capital Management Inc:Founded by Wayne Cooperman with a starting investment from his father Leon Cooperman, founder of Omega Advisors Inc.

Chatroulette: The popular-for-a-second video chat site was built on a $10,000 investment from 18-year old Andrey Ternoviskiy’s parents.

Motown Records: The most successful African-American business in the United States was founded in 1959 with $700 from Berry Gordy’s father. Correcting for inflation, the investment would be the equivalent of approximately $6,000 today.

Greenlight Capital: Famous hedge fund manager David Einhorn opened his first fund in 1996 at age 27 with a “significant investment” from his parents.

You just mopped the floor with the clown posse.  

They won't realize it but well done. 

Trudeau thinks families investing in their kids business is a bad thing or unfair to others.

40 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

garage.jpg

Google and Amazon started 20 years ago, apple over 40, the rest over 80 years 

The original post was how things have changed to the point where wealth is no longer evenly distributed.

Just now, revkevsdi said:

The original post was how things have changed to the point where wealth is no longer evenly distributed.

Nice backpedal...

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, s pump said:

Right but you and your brother think growing up hard involves your parents owning a Hatteras.

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

Then you came along and beta'd up the entire thread.

3 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

So much anger from Dumb Dave.  

I've really hurt you and your posse friends for you to keep saying so much shit. 

No youve made it clearer you dont know jackshit.

:lol:

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Then you came along and beta'd up the entire thread.

You Beta up any thread by being here snowflake. 

The clown posse makes all kinds of stupid claims, as soon as I asked you to back it up with some numbers, it turns into a circus of lies and inane insults.  

If you can't show how someone starting with nothing making an average factory wage can get ahead, then fuck off. 

That's what the American dream was sold as.  Anyway can be successful starting with nothing as long as they work hard. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Right but you and your brother think growing up hard involves your parents owning a Hatteras.

You have no idea. My grandparents on my mother's side were dirt poor my mom is a millionaire go figure.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Many more parents/family (most) also loan their kids money to start a business or education that goes nowhere.  You are all free to explore that avenue anytime.

I think the point is that there are different ideas around here about what constitutes the old bootstraps.

The clown posse makes all kinds of stupid claims, as soon as I asked you to back it up with some numbers, it turns into a circus of lies and inane insults.  

If you can't show how someone starting with nothing making an average factory wage can get ahead, then fuck off. 

That's what the American dream was sold as.  Anyway can be successful starting with nothing as long as they work hard. 

Most people don't have it in them, period.  Stop trying to complicate matters more.

• Like 1

You have no idea. My grandparents on my mother's side were dirt poor my mom is a millionaire go figure.

My idea comes from what you and your brother have posted....nothing more. Good for your mom...most people in this country are getting fucked over.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Youve never had to work hard.

Typicical silver spooner bs.