Check your account email address ×

New(er) car needed for the wife.

irv

On 8/29/2017 at 8:30 AM, irv said:

Most know I am not a fan of GM trucks but when it comes to cars, I rarely think of another brand. My wife's 2001 Olds Intrigue, although it only has 108,000 KM's on it, is starting to cost us money. A/C is caput again, it has always used oil, wheels always leaked air, it is starting to rust by rear gas tank neck, and is currently leaking oil somewhere from the engine. There are more issues but they are minor comparatively. 

I really don't feel like pumping anymore money into it, it needs tires as well, so I am leaning towards getting something new(er) but I am unsure what to look at? She and I like the Impalas and Malibus and somewhat the Equinox's, but I don't know anything about them as far as reliability goes? My Buddy, who owns a garage and works on anything says it doesn't matter much anymore, with cars or trucks, what you purchase this day and age. He says most are junk as he sees them all quite regularly. My wife can get the GM discount, which is why I am leaning that way, but like my Ram, maybe we can get something else, despite the GM discount for the same or less money? 

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I thought you were done with GM ? 

Like I wrote above, not really a big fan of other NA brand cars. My Dad is the same way, he loves Ford trucks but won't drive anything other than a GM car. :dunno:

1 minute ago, irv said:

Like I wrote above, not really a big fan of other NA brand cars. My Dad is the same way, he loves Ford trucks but won't drive anything other than a GM car. :dunno:

You bought a '17 GM, traded in to a Ford dealer. Just sayin :bc:

9 minutes ago, irv said:

I've read about people complaining/disliking them but I really can't figure out what the issue(s) are? Mind you, this one isn't heated, which surprises me in this type of car, but it is leather wrapped and feels pretty comfortable. I do wish, however, that it tilted down a little bit more as these teach/make you drive/steer with your hands on your knees. 

Just something about the look of it. As long as its comfortable thats all that matters :bc:

Just now, yami123 said:

Just something about the look of it. As long as its comfortable thats all that matters :bc:

In one of the many vids I watched, the guy in there also complained about it. It was the first and only vid where someone did. Like I mentioned, it's fine for me/us, but maybe there's much nicer ones out there that I am not aware of? 

9 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

They are rental buybacks, or whatever you want to call them? Hyundai, Kia, and other dealers, like Ford, are purchasing them. Makes me scratch my head but like I mentioned before, these must be lucrative? The dealer I purchased from today just lowered all their's yesterday a $1000 bucks. Their prices to begin with were the cheapest around so it was a bonus to us as we had already made plans to go check them out. :bc: Personally, as we have been looking/watching for over a month, I don't think these are selling as good as they had planned?   http://www.colonyfordlincoln.com/used-inventory/index.htm?search=&compositeType=used&year=2017&make=Chevrolet&bodyStyle=&odometer=&internetPrice=&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-make-1

This is the one we chose. It didn't have the least amount of KM's on it, but it was in the best shape of the black ones. Mother had to have black. http://www.colonyfordlincoln.com/used/Chevrolet/2017-Chevrolet-Impala-brampton-toronto-56ddfe500a0e0a4034a3aba6cf2a2c4b.htm

Edited by irv

3 minutes ago, irv said:

They are rental buybacks, or whatever you want to call them? Hyundai, Kia, and other dealers, like Ford, are purchasing them. Makes me scratch my head but like I mentioned before, these must be lucrative? The dealer I purchased from today just lowered all their's yesterday a $1000 bucks. Their prices to begin with were the cheapest around so it was a bonus to us as we had already made plans to go check them out. :bc: Personally, as we have been looking/watching for over a month, I don't think these are selling as good as they had planned?   http://www.colonyfordlincoln.com/used-inventory/index.htm?search=&compositeType=used&year=2017&make=Chevrolet&bodyStyle=&odometer=&internetPrice=&saveFacetState=true&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-make-1

This is the one we chose. It didn't have the least amount of KM's on it, but it was in the best shape of the black ones. Mother had to have black. http://www.colonyfordlincoln.com/used/Chevrolet/2017-Chevrolet-Impala-brampton-toronto-56ddfe500a0e0a4034a3aba6cf2a2c4b.htm

Even worse.  Good luck :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

11 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Even worse.  Good luck :bc:

What a fucking Ford cunt. :lol:

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Looks nice irv.  Congrats.

Thanks, AC. :bc: Surprisingly, these are really nice cars! The ride, smoothness, and how quiet they are really surprised me. My Dad said these are the same frames/chassis's that are in the Cadillacs? Judging by the ride and the other things mentioned, I tend to believe him. New, these are spendy so I am glad to find the deal we did today! :bc: 

• 2 weeks later...

Friggin Ford dealer!  >:(

I purchased some Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 oil and a Fram Ultra Guard synthetic oil filter the other day as I wanted to do an oil change on my wife's car despite being told a fresh oil change and filter would be done at the Ford dealer where we bought the car prior to pick up. 

I was debating back and forth with myself to leave it until spring but my OCD got the better of me, and I am glad it did! I was concerned that the Ford oil most likely wasn't Dexos certified nor was it likely synthetic, which I am a big fan of, especially with winter coming upon us.

Today, as I was changing the oil and not really paying attention to the color of the oil coming out, I noticed the Fram filter the dealer used was loose! Loose as in I barely touched it loose, barely laid my hands on it loose! >:( In all the years I have been doing oil changes for myself and some others, I have never come across a loose filter like this before! I have no doubts in my mind this filter would have failed/come completely loose in just a matter of time, or well before spring.

As I was decanting my used oil into some empty jugs for disposal, it dawned on me then, that this oil is waaay too dark/black for only supposedly having a couple hundred KM's on it! This past week as I was checking the oil level in the car, it seemed down a 1/4-1/2 a ltr on the dipstick but since our driveway is sloped/graded, I thought that was likely the cause? My conclusion is, the Ford dealer just replaced the filter and that is likely why the oil is down a touch, and, as that is what I or another buyer will see, the new filter, gives the  false belief that likely the oil was changed as well.

My Father, who was up visiting, also said, after the fact, that he thought the oil looked awfully dark/black for only having a couple hundred KM's on it.

Needless to say, I am glad I didn't wait around until spring, as one, I highly doubt the filter would have stayed on over the course of the winter and 2, I had no idea how many miles were actually on this oil.

Say what you will but I believe, more than ever now, doing your own oil changes, and other things mtce wise, has it's benefits other than just the amount of money you save.

This could have ended real ugly and it would have boiled down to my word against theirs, and in all likelihood, I would have been SOL. 

Hey Irv, you should send the old new oil away to be analyzed, and see how much life was left in it, and when you get the results, take them back and show the OWNER of the Ford dealership you got the car from, and demand some compensation.

We have a couple of local dealers in this area that I have heard horror stories directly from mechanics that work there, and it pisses me off to no end that they are ripping innocent people off, many times a day.