Check your account email address ×

Grassley letter to James Comey.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Was Steele working for the FBI and Fusion GPS?

Just like from the movie "Edge of Darkness."

Make the scandal so convoluted that nobody can figure it out.

April 28, 2017
VIA ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION

The Honorable James B. Comey, Jr.DirectorFederal Bureau of Investigation935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NWWashington, DC 20535Dear Director Comey:On March 6, 2017, I wrote to you requesting information about the FBI’s relationship with Mr.Christopher Steele, the author of the political opposition research dossier alleging collusion betweenassociates of Mr. Trump and the Russian government. Although that letter asked for a response byMarch 20, the FBI has failed to provide one.

Ranking Member Feinstein and I had previously written to the FBI on February 15, 2017,asking for a briefing and documents relating to the resignation of Mr. Flynn and the leaks of classifiedinformation involving him. After a startling lack of responsiveness from the FBI, I was forced to delayCommittee proceedings on the nomination for Deputy Attorney General in order to obtain DOJ’scooperation. In response, on March 15, 2017, you did provide a briefing about the FBI’s Russiainvestigation to Ranking Member Feinstein and me. While a few of the questions from my March 6letter were also addressed in that briefing, most were not. Nor was there any indication from the FBI before or during the briefing that the FBI considered it to be responsive to the March 6 letter. 

Nonetheless, on April 19, 2017, the FBI sent Ranking Member Feinstein and me a four-sentence letter purporting to be in response to both the February 15 and March 6 letters. Two of thosesentences are merely the standard closing boilerplate language in all FBI letters. The letter did notanswer any questions and instead incorrectly claimed that the briefing addressed the concerns raised in both the February 15 and March 6 letters. That is incorrect. The FBI has failed to provide documentsrequested in the March 6 letter or to answer the vast majority of its questions.

There appear to be material inconsistencies between the description of the FBI’s relationshipwith Mr. Steele that you did provide in your briefing and information contained in Justice Departmentdocuments made available to the Committee only after the briefing. Whether those inconsistencies

Director ComeyApril 28, 2017Page 2 of 3
were honest mistakes or an attempt to downplay the actual extent of the FBI’s relationship with Mr.Steele, it is essential that the FBI fully answer all of the questions from the March 6 letter and provideall the requested documents in order to resolve these and related issues.Also, more information has since come to the Committee’s attention about the companyoverseeing the creation of the dossier, Fusion GPS. Namely, Fusion GPS is the subject of a complaintto the Justice Department, which alleges that the company violated the Foreign Agents RegistrationAct by working on behalf of Russian principals to undermine U.S. sanctions against Russians. Thatunregistered work was reportedly conducted with a former Russian intelligence operative, Mr. RinatAkhmetshin, and appears to have been occurring simultaneous to Fusion GPS’s work overseeing thecreation of the dossier. I wrote to the Justice Department about this issue on March 31, copying you,and I have attached that letter here for your reference. The Justice Department has yet to respond.In addition to fully answering my March 6, 2017 letter, please also provide the followingdocuments and information:1.

Documentation of all payments made to Mr. Steele, including for travel expenses, if any; thedate of any such payments; the amount of such payments; the authorization for such payments.2.

When the FBI was in contact with Mr. Steele or otherwise relying on information in thedossier, was it aware that his employer, Fusion GPS, was allegedly simultaneously working asan unregistered agent for Russian interests? Please provide all related documents.3.

If so, when and how did FBI become aware of this information? Did it include this informationabout Fusion GPS’s alleged work for Russian principals in any documents describing or relyingon information from the dossier? If not, why not?4.

If the FBI was previously unaware of Fusion GPS’s alleged unregistered activity on behalf ofRussian interests and connections with a former Russian intelligence operative, does the FBI plan to amend any applications, reports, or other documents it has created that describe or relyon the information in the dossier to add this information? If so, please provide copies of allamended documents. If not, why not?

Please provide all the requested documents and full answers to all the question by May 12,2017. I hope that this matter can be resolved without additional holds on nominees. These areimportant issues that require public transparency. I anticipate that your responses to these questionsmay contain both classified and unclassified information. Please send all unclassified material directlyto the Committee. In keeping with the requirements of Executive Order 13526, if any of theresponsive documents do contain classified information, please segregate all unclassified materialwithin the classified documents, provide all unclassified information directly to the Committee, and provide a classified addendum to the Office of Senate Security. Although the Committee complieswith all laws and regulations governing the handling of classified information, it is not bound, absentits prior agreement, by any handling restrictions or instructions on unclassified information unilaterallyasserted by the Executive Branch.

Director ComeyApril 28, 2017Page 3 of 3
Thank you for your prompt attention to this important matter. If you have any questions, please contact Patrick Davis of my Committee staff at (202) 224-5225.Sincerely,Charles E. GrassleyChairmanCommittee on the Judiciarycc: The Honorable Dianne FeinsteinRanking MemberSenate Committee on the Judiciary

Edited by Highmark

Oh for the love of fuck ....please do not tell me that the Obama FBI has a former MI6 agent on the payroll who wsa actively involved in assembling a fake dossier to smear a Presidential campaign.

That shit is so fucking insane.....it is clearly throat slashing time ....if this is true Comey and everyone involved in this need to be perp walked 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, f7ben said:

Oh for the love of fuck ....please do not tell me that the Obama FBI has a former MI6 agent on the payroll who wsa actively involved in assembling a fake dossier to smear a Presidential campaign.

That shit is so fucking insane.....it is clearly throat slashing time ....if this is true Comey and everyone involved in this need to be perp walked 

I'm not convinced yet that Comey was involved but his lack of cooperation is suspicious.   My bet covering for someone....but who?  People are claiming that he got an immunity deal to cooperate.   They better be careful his cooperation might not be for the side they think.   Lynch, Rice and maybe even Obama? 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

god i'm loving these trump lies. awesome stuff. can't wait for the next batch to be exposed. so far everything trump has said has been a fooking lie. i really don't think he or his followers have any sense of the truth. 

#trumpsheep

irony overload