Check your account email address ×

$34.5T in debt... so cut taxes?

taxes  

7 members have voted

1. 1. with $34.5T in current debt, I believe taxes should be...

• Cut
    • Raised
    • Maintained at the current rates
  2. 2. We need a balanced budget amendment now more than ever?

• Agree
    • Disagree

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

yeah... and the 1% own what percentage of the wealth?  

I don't disparage that... but $ buys politicians and influence

at what point is enough enough?  :dunno: 

Ah yes spoken like a true liberal.   Congrats.  

Are we now going to discuss wealth vs income?  :lmao:  Let me guess you support a wealth tax? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Ah yes spoken like a true liberal.   Congrats.  

Are we now going to discuss wealth vs income?  :lmao:  Let me guess you support a wealth tax? 

You sure like to make assumptions... 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

You sure like to make assumptions... 

Really?  Liberals don't say these 2 things all the time?  So I'll ask do you support a wealth tax to pay down the deficit?  

at what point is enough enough? 

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Really?  Liberals don't say these 2 things all the time?  So I'll ask do you support a wealth tax to pay down the deficit?  

at what point is enough enough? 

no, never have.  how about we all pay the same percentage?  you know fully well (I think?) that it's far easier to avoid taxation for certain individuals in the 1%. Musk, Bezo's, Zuckerberg, Buffett... all get a better deal than you or I do with deferred compensation, stock they borrow against, and on and on.  maybe you're just being obtuse... :dunno: 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

no, never have.  how about we all pay the same percentage?  you know fully well (I think?) that it's far easier to avoid taxation for certain individuals in the 1%. Musk, Bezo's, Zuckerberg, Buffett... all get a better deal than you or I do with deferred compensation, stock they borrow against, and on and on.  maybe you're just being obtuse... :dunno: 

I've 100% been supportive of changing the rules on carried interest and am open on deferred compensation.   I'm 100% against a wealth tax on assets.   

Keep in mind the people you are talking about above pay extremely high taxes on the profits the companies they own pay to the govt.   For us S corp owners it goes on our personal taxes and we personally pay them.   For them (c corp) it goes on and is paid by the corp but as owners its basically the same thing.

Buffett is really a false narrative because not only as part owner of BH but basically all BH does is own companies.   Those companies profits are taxed are are essentially paid by him just thru the corps themselves.   They don't get off as scott free as you make it out to sound.  

Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I've 100% been supportive of changing the rules on carried interest and am open on deferred compensation.   I'm 100% against a wealth tax on assets.   

Keep in mind the people you are talking about above pay extremely high taxes on the profits the companies they own pay to the govt.   For us S corp owners it goes on our personal taxes and we personally pay them.   For them (c corp) it goes on and is paid by the corp but as owners its basically the same thing.

Buffett is really a false narrative because not only as part owner of BH but basically all BH does is own companies.   Those companies profits are taxed are are essentially paid by him just thru the corps themselves.   They don't get off as scott free as you make it out to sound.  

so you don't have a fair or equitable way to pay down the debt either it sounds... 

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

so you don't have a fair or equitable way to pay down the debt either it sounds... 

:lmao:

How much more are you willing to pay to pay down the debt.  Serious question. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

:lmao:

How much more are you willing to pay to pay down the debt.  Serious question. 

$100 per person per year until we're under $30T... with caveats. 

Liabilities need to be slashed.  It won't be popular, but it's the only way.  Cutting taxes will help remove some of the sting of that as lowered taxes means more jobs, more income going towards value creation etc.