Check your account email address ×

Tiger slides vs DuPont vespel slides

Is there any difference in these new tiger slides as compared to the DuPont vespel slides that cat already offered, besides the color on the tiger slides?

I could be mistaken on this but, The duponts are or were a Yamaha product. Or were originally a joint effort between Yamaha and dupont?  The tigers are a cat product. I have never used the Duponts but I do have 2 sets of tigers. One on the Cattle ass and one set for the sidewinder sitting in the corner. My favorite slides(so far) that are no longer available were the super slippery that Wahl brothers racing used to carry. Guessing not much difference in performance. No first hand experience, so guessing

Edited by jonlafon1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

I could be mistaken on this but, The duponts are or were a Yamaha product. Or were originally a joint effort between Yamaha and dupont?  The tigers are a cat product. I have never used the Duponts but I do have 2 sets of tigers. One on the Cattle ass and one set for the sidewinder sitting in the corner. My favorite slides(so far) that are no longer available were the super slippery that Wahl brothers racing used to carry. Guessing not much difference in performance. No first hand experience, so guessing

Cat has had DuPont slides before they had the tigers.  I don't know the origin, whether they got them from the Yamaha affair or not.  I'd prefer black ones over the tiger colors but I don't know if there's any difference between the two.

Tiger https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-8639-422-tiger-slide-wear-strip-121-165-inch

Cat DuPont https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-6639-448-dupont-vespel-performance-wear-strip-sold-individually-121-146-inch

12 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Cat has had DuPont slides before they had the tigers.  I don't know the origin, whether they got them from the Yamaha affair or not.  I'd prefer black ones over the tiger colors but I don't know if there's any difference between the two.

Tiger https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-8639-422-tiger-slide-wear-strip-121-165-inch

Cat DuPont https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-6639-448-dupont-vespel-performance-wear-strip-sold-individually-121-146-inch

They appear the same.  I paid more then what they selling for now. Figures.  You wont really notice the color much out riding. They get caked with ice and snow and blend into the rails pretty much.. For the price CC is selling I would go tiger

44 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

They appear the same.  I paid more then what they selling for now. Figures.  You wont really notice the color much out riding. They get caked with ice and snow and blend into the rails pretty much.. For the price CC is selling I would go tiger

Thomas has the DuPont vespel for 108 each so I'm leaning to them especially being all black.  Tiger stripes probably not noticeable after most rides but I'd still find a way to notice them all the time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe_zrt said:

They're different in the angle of the insert. There was a whole write up on them. 

I re read the Arctic Insider article on the tiger slides.  Sounds like the tiger slides are normal width while the black ones are slightly wider which doesn't work on the alpha rail.  They say the tiger insert strips are more pliable for better durability.  Tiger slides are 60 degrees and the black ones are 45 degrees, guessing the 60 degree tigers are so it remains the stock width 

4 hours ago, mnstang said:

going on what vintage... the rail profile on the older sleds with Vespels is just a touch loose/sloppy on the rail

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

going on what vintage... the rail profile on the older sleds with Vespels is just a touch loose/sloppy on the rail

Ass dragging vintage 

1 minute ago, mnstang said:

Ass dragging vintage 

I may have a scrap piece left to measure in my hoard... but they weren't as 'nice and snug' on the SP as I prefer

I'll look tomorrow as I need to inventory the windshield collection

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I may have a scrap piece left to measure in my hoard... but they weren't as 'nice and snug' on the SP as I prefer

I'll look tomorrow as I need to inventory the windshield collection

Yeah if you could measure it that'd be cool

Vespel is a good 1/8" wider and a hair taller profile.

They worked better on new Procross sleds if you swapped out the smaller plastic wheels for the slightly taller older version.  The rail fit seemed dang close to stock.

I have a set of Tiger slides that I have not installed yet.  Without exact measurements, they are close to stock profile.  They come with extra holes drilled for the Alpha rails but I'd be cutting that section away for shorter rails.

@joe_zrt , pretty much summed up the other details.

11 hours ago, mnstang said:

Yeah if you could measure it that'd be cool

went up in the hoard... must've chucked the cut off's I had.  did find two pair of new black standard slides I bought on closeout from Country Cat though?  opened up the trailer and threw it on the track stand, there's a good 1/8"+ loose (slop) from side to side on the rail on the SP.   dug through my Amazon orders and these were the ones' I purchased... don't know if there's other sizes from Yamaha tbh.  paid $126 for the pair back in 2020

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00979P5Y6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1   

HOW FAR BACK WILL THE TIGER SLIDE WEAR STRIPS RETRO TO OTHER ARCTIC CAT MODELS? WILL THEY WORK ON OTHER BRANDS?

GS: The Tiger Slide high-performance wear strip will retrofit Arctic Cat rear suspensions as far back as 1995 equipped with 1.125”-wide profile wear strips.

Certain models use a wider 1.5” wear strip profile; Tiger Slides are not advised for these applications.

PE:  The Tiger Slide high performance wear strip is also compatible with Yamaha models which share the 1.125”-wide T-slot profile wear strip.

WHEN WILL THEY BE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE?

PE:  Tiger Slides are available for order now (Part number 8639-422; sold individually) and orders will begin shipping early Fall 2023!

Yamaha #'s

SMA-8JPDP-SS-00

‎SMA-DPSSR-00-00

BRP #

Polaris #

Edited by Crnr2Crnr