Check your account email address ×

Seeing some post where Liberty Mutual is dropping snowmobile insurance coverage

Like the title says seeing people reporting that they are receiving notice that Liberty Mutual is dropping their snowmobile insurance coverage polices. 

I have State Farm and just received my insurance cards for my sleds so good to go there. 

There's at least one insurance company that dropped a whole bunch of trail policies.  I don't know who the underwriter was, but my club was affected by that - we're scrambling to find coverage before the trails open on Dec. 1st.

31 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

There's at least one insurance company that dropped a whole bunch of trail policies.  I don't know who the underwriter was, but my club was affected by that - we're scrambling to find coverage before the trails open on Dec. 1st.

In Wisconsin most of the clubs including ours uses Schwartz and Shea

https://schwartzshea.com/insurance-services/awsc-snowmobile-club-insurance/

5 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Holy crap - really??  I wonder if our club has anything to worry about (I hope not!).  I'll have to check it out ... thanks for the heads up!

I'm sorry I didn't jot down who it was - will try to find out which agent/underwriter.  I know there were several clubs in both Wisconsin and Minnesota that were affected, but not much more than that.  If I can find out more details, I'll post it here.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, p51mstg said:

I'm sorry I didn't jot down who it was - will try to find out which agent/underwriter.  I know there were several clubs in both Wisconsin and Minnesota that were affected, but not much more than that.  If I can find out more details, I'll post it here.

The company is West Bend.  Apparently, we participated in some kind of group rate with a bunch of clubs, and among all of those clubs there were two deaths last winter.  This is what caused West Bend to drop all trail policies for the group.  I’m not sure how many clubs are affected.

8 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

The company is West Bend.  Apparently, we participated in some kind of group rate with a bunch of clubs, and among all of those clubs there were two deaths last winter.  This is what caused West Bend to drop all trail policies for the group.  I’m not sure how many clubs are affected.

Can you still apply as an individual club.  It looks like Schwartz and Shea which we have goes through West Bend and haven't heard of any issues.  Believe our groomers are Aldo insured through Schwartz and Shea.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 8:02 PM, p51mstg said:

The company is West Bend.  Apparently, we participated in some kind of group rate with a bunch of clubs, and among all of those clubs there were two deaths last winter.  This is what caused West Bend to drop all trail policies for the group.  I’m not sure how many clubs are 

@p51mstghow you guys making out on your club insurance.  Just reading November Wisconsin snowmobile news magazine and Schwartz & Shea is still advertising snowmobile club insurance through West Bend

• 2 weeks later...

The scoop is, it was a group policy that they dropped - no more group policy, individual policies are okay.  Sounds like this stems from a fatality and an ambulance chaser that's suing everyone.  I'm amazed that a single incident could cause such upheaval - insurance companies are hugely profitable (generally), not because they're sitting on a gold mine, but because they know how to calculate risk.  Very disappointing, but it is what it is.  Maybe this will be better for everyone in the long run, but right now it's going to cost every club a lot more money.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

The scoop is, it was a group policy that they dropped - no more group policy, individual policies are okay.  Sounds like this stems from a fatality and an ambulance chaser that's suing everyone.  I'm amazed that a single incident could cause such upheaval - insurance companies are hugely profitable (generally), not because they're sitting on a gold mine, but because they know how to calculate risk.  Very disappointing, but it is what it is.  Maybe this will be better for everyone in the long run, but right now it's going to cost every club a lot more money.

The clubs locally all have individual policies including ours.  We have to send a certificate of our insurance to the County and they will not open the trails until all the clubs have turned in there insurane certificate.

A neighboring club up Nth one year either lost their insurance or chose to take a risk to go without it and had an issue.  Can't remember if it was a fatality or someone hit the groomer.  That get real messy and the club couldn't get insurance after that.  The county had to take out the policy and put the club on as a rider.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 8:24 AM, Mag6240 said:

Our insurance went up over $600 this year.

Haven't seen our trail insurance bill yet but should get it any day.  I'll post what it is and how much it goes up.  Our treasurer say it's been going up 10-15 % each year the last couple years.