Check your account email address ×

2020 AC Riot

My work buddy has one, and he really likes it.  I think the only issues he's had were related to the APV servo motor/cables, and some wire harness that needed to be zip tied because it was hanging too close to his exhaust pipe.  He also had some intermittent starting issues but he said that seems to have cleared up after putting a new battery in.  FWIW - He came from a 2011 F8, so it was a pretty significant change for him ... especially with the longer skid and the added effort to run faster through the woods.  But I know, overall, he's been super happy with it.  That said, I know he's very interested in the 858 in the Catalyst chassis and will be looking to get into one of those ASAP.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I do:

I tried to paste a link to the playlist above, not just a single video.

The 2020 and 21 are slightly different, and there are specific things that affect each year - like what Bontz said above.

It’s a good sled.  If you’re coming from a shorter track, you’ll notice a push.  There’s a fine balance between how much push you can live with, compared to ski pressure, and you have to trade one for the other.

The CTech2 800 has a “hanging idle”, which is a feature, not a bug - it’s there to clear out fuel in the exhaust and prevent the dreaded “exhaust flame”.  The 800 has a harmonic that tends to break exhaust springs, and I noticed that replacement springs come with a silicone insert to prevent that.  I don’t ever remember hearing about either of those with the 600.

I haven’t had any problem with handling, but I seem to have a high tolerance for bad behavior.  At the photo shoot last January, we went on a trail ride one day with most of the photo shoot people and a couple of the production crew.  The one production crew guy didn’t have a lot of time on newer snowmobiles.  They gave him a 2024 Riot 8000 (my sled, with new graphics).  I got a Riot 9000 EPS.  At one of our stops, the guy was complaining about how difficult it was to keep his assigned sled under control, and I switched with him.  At the next stop, he couldn’t believe the difference, much better.  There was nothing wrong with the Riot 8000 - rode at least as good as mine.  But, apparently it was bad enough that he noticed how much better the smooth Yamaha 998 was and how easy the EPS made steering.  

He ended up hitting a tree with my assigned sled and I got blamed for it, but that’s another story….

The Riot is a crossover, but is probably 60-70% trail-biased.  Yet, it’s more work to trail ride it, compared to a ZR.  I like the overall good trail manners and added flotation for off trail excursions.  I don’t like the ice bridges on the heat exchanger on cold trail days, and the seat is really too soft.

If you’re looking at a 2020, someone has already spent the last 3-4 years getting the bugs worked out.  I don’t have any concerns buying a used Riot, as compared to other models or brands of the same age.

I’m just a rider, not a mechanic, so there are probably things I’m missing.  But, I like the sled and have no regrets.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1