Check your account email address ×

• Gold Member

I ripped out a few studs out of my track last winter so I’m in the market to order a new track in the next few weeks. I really don’t care for studs and want a little more deep snow bite so was looking at the camso hurricane 1.75. Anyone run one of these? or any recommendations for a track with a 1.5+” lug?  I’d prefer a 2 ply track. Sleds a 11 XP and has a 120x15 size so it seems my options are somewhat limited.

Do they make a storm or 1.6 cobra in that size?? If you run a lot of groomed trails the 1.75 aren’t that great of any variation. They also kick up a lot of shit. Even a 1.375 cobra is night and day better in loose snow over the shit saws most trail sleds came with back then.

The cons to a 1.75. They are a windsail so you will loose top speed, will probably need to re gear and clutch for it. If you are doing a lot of trail riding hyfax wear quicker.

if you are riding mostly un groomed/loose snow or off trail the 1.75 is worth going to. 

• Gold Member
28 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Do they make a storm or 1.6 cobra in that size?? If you run a lot of groomed trails the 1.75 aren’t that great of any variation. They also kick up a lot of shit. Even a 1.375 cobra is night and day better in loose snow over the shit saws most trail sleds came with back then.

The cons to a 1.75. They are a windsail so you will loose top speed, will probably need to re gear and clutch for it. If you are doing a lot of trail riding hyfax wear quicker.

if you are riding mostly un groomed/loose snow or off trail the 1.75 is worth going to. 

Mostly groomed maybe 80-20 but my main riding bud has a winder 2” lug on order so maybe more logging road exploration. The storm was the other one I was looking at but wasn’t sure how the 1.5 lug in the center and 1.25 on the outside would ride seemed odd? If the storm is a better option I wouldn’t be opposed to that over the hurricane. Cobra 1.352 was the only other option I seen in 2ply unless I missed something. I feel with the short track the 1.352 wouldn’t be much of a upgrade vs stock 1.25 or maybe it’s a 1” I can’t remember. I just don’t want it to be endlessly spinning in looser fluffy trail conditions cause what it has now was horrible last year up in Maine.

16 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Mostly groomed maybe 80-20 but my main riding bud has a winder 2” lug on order so maybe more logging road exploration. The storm was the other one I was looking at but wasn’t sure how the 1.5 lug in the center and 1.25 on the outside would ride seemed odd? If the storm is a better option I wouldn’t be opposed to that over the hurricane. Cobra 1.352 was the only other option I seen in 2ply unless I missed something. I feel with the short track the 1.352 wouldn’t be much of an upgrade vs stock 1.25 or maybe it’s a 1” I can’t remember. I just don’t want it to be endlessly spinning in looser fluffy trail conditions cause what it has now was horrible last year up in Maine.

I am guessing your sled still has a rip saw style track on it. Anything will be an upgrade from that in loose snow. They are designed to dig and they do it well. 

12 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I prefer a 1.75 but ride a lot in the ditch.  Have had both and Intense and Backcountry lately and would choose the BC over a Cobra anyday.  Studded Cobra on my sled now I would totally swap with someone.

I wish they made the intense in the track sizes for the newer sleds. The 1 3/8 predator style track used on the old fire cats work really well as an all around trail track. 

A 1.3" cobra track is all the lug you need on a 120" track.  I've been down that road.  In real deep snow your lack of flotation from length will be the limiting factor, it won't be the 1.3 cobra lug.  The cobra is the best track for trail sleds that occasionally go off trail.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

I am guessing your sled still has a rip saw style track on it. Anything will be an upgrade from that in loose snow. They are designed to dig and they do it well. 

I think it is a 1” ripsaw I can’t remember but ya it’s awful.

32 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Since he is changing track a quick tunnel extension and a 136 is also possible.  Floatation does suck on a 120, but having more lug for traction helps across the board.  I thoroughly despise the Cobra.  Spin city.

Nah I don’t really wanna do track extensions and gearing all that. I just wanna run it another winter or two then upgrade get something newer. I wouldn’t even do a track but this one is pretty much toast ripped lugs and torn out studs.

I’ve been reading up on the storm a little and I’m learning towards that now sounds like it be better option for the riding I do vs the 1.75 hurricane.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Since he is changing track a quick tunnel extension and a 136 is also possible.  Floatation does suck on a 120, but having more lug for traction helps across the board.  I thoroughly despise the Cobra.  Spin city.

Another consideration in this topic is sled setup.  This quote reminds me of this because apparently on some sleds a cobra is "spin city".  But I know throughout my experiences having the cobra on 4 different sleds that it doesn't spin at all and sticks to the trail like glue, often more traction than desired.  The differences are from sled setup.

If the op had a cat I'd say to pick up a performance manual, maybe skidoo has something similar.  But in these manuals they give alot of advice how to setup a sled and gives you many scenarios of observed behaviors and a list of things to correct them.  Like for example it'll have a section for deep snow if you're trenching and struggle to get on top of the snow, do x, y, and/or z.  

But if you don't do any of these things and just expect a different track to solve all issues, could be disappointed or making a bigger trade off than necessary to achieve the result.

I have had cobras on short tracks where you're doing a wheelie, skis are off the ground, the lugs are working, but you end up sinking and getting stuck almost vertically with the skis still in the air.  That is a skid length issue and a 2+" lug would give the same result 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

Even on a non-coupled 144" the Cobra spins.  Hard to make it hook up for shit if there is any semblance of loose snow.

What do you mean spin?  On the trail?  I've never once had any issues with spinning that track in any trail conditions.

Not with 85 hp, 160hp, or 240 hp.  That track has always stuck like glue for me.  Just furthers my point about it's a lot more than just the track

Pull the throttle on some loose snow.  Again I ride a ton in the ditch as I said above and the cobra is basically fucking useless.  Particularly useless in getting grip going up a road approach to launch off it.  Spins like hell.

Huh I've never had a problem 🤷. Different riding styles probably play a role also.  I grew up on cleated tracks so subconsciously using momentum and throttle control probably sticks more than I realize.

• Gold Member
18 hours ago, mnstang said:

Another consideration in this topic is sled setup.  This quote reminds me of this because apparently on some sleds a cobra is "spin city".  But I know throughout my experiences having the cobra on 4 different sleds that it doesn't spin at all and sticks to the trail like glue, often more traction than desired.  The differences are from sled setup.

If the op had a cat I'd say to pick up a performance manual, maybe skidoo has something similar.  But in these manuals they give alot of advice how to setup a sled and gives you many scenarios of observed behaviors and a list of things to correct them.  Like for example it'll have a section for deep snow if you're trenching and struggle to get on top of the snow, do x, y, and/or z.  

But if you don't do any of these things and just expect a different track to solve all issues, could be disappointed or making a bigger trade off than necessary to achieve the result.

I have had cobras on short tracks where you're doing a wheelie, skis are off the ground, the lugs are working, but you end up sinking and getting stuck almost vertically with the skis still in the air.  That is a skid length issue and a 2+" lug would give the same result 

I haven’t really messed with the suspension to much and I am by no means a suspension expert. I bought it last fall and only rode it maybe 2-3 short rides on not so good conditions locally and a trip to maine and wasn’t wasting time messing with it up there on vacation. I’ve basically just played with the coupling blocks and left it on 3. Haven’t messed with the shocks or anything else. I think it’s more a track issue than suspension though as on the fresh morning grooming it hooked decent but like I said either way I need a track it’s toast it’s not a want thing. I’m gonna go through the skid when I get the track and hopefully we get decent local snow here this year so I can screw with it a little more.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:31 AM, 800renegaderider said:

I haven’t really messed with the suspension to much and I am by no means a suspension expert. I bought it last fall and only rode it maybe 2-3 short rides on not so good conditions locally and a trip to maine and wasn’t wasting time messing with it up there on vacation. I’ve basically just played with the coupling blocks and left it on 3. Haven’t messed with the shocks or anything else. I think it’s more a track issue than suspension though as on the fresh morning grooming it hooked decent but like I said either way I need a track it’s toast it’s not a want thing. I’m gonna go through the skid when I get the track and hopefully we get decent local snow here this year so I can screw with it a little more.

I am assuming your sled has the same shit saw my xp had. Freshly groomed trails it was spin city. Freshly groomed trails where they froze over night it would hook good. Once they were chewed up it was back to spin city. you can tell that track was designed in Canada where there is low traffic and the trails can freeze up after grooming. Anything is better than that track in loose snow.