Check your account email address ×

First Ski Doo In The States

• Platinum Contributing Member

A follow up to Paul Cranes & Bob Bottoms visit to Valcourt in 1958 to check out a small over the snow vehicle J. Armand Bombardier was working on he named the Ski-dog. In this photo is the very first Bombardier Ski-dog to enter the UNited States of America. It was ordered after Bob Bottoms watched his salesman Paul Crane test drive the proto-type.

It was delivered to Timberland Machines, Inc. branch store in Lancaster, NH on December 4th 1959 as a 1960 model. It had a hefty price tag of $950 which was big money in 1959, considering you could by a new pickup for not much more than that.

So the machine sat around for the better part of a year until the fall of 1960 when a gentleman by the name of David "Red" Parks a local owner of an automobile junk yard came in one day and offered to take it off their hands in trade for a woodlot he had out in East Lancaster. Bottoms took him up on the offer. That's correct folks, the first Ski-doo to enter America wouldn't sell, so it was traded for a woodlot!

Needless to say, things changed drastically within the next few years. Timberlands soon outgrew the old Schurman Motors building they purchased in '58 to a brand new big modern building with a warehouse large enough to accept & deliver to dealers over 10,000 Ski-doo snowmobiles at it's peak!

In 1966, Bob Bottoms contacted Mr. Parks, now with his offer. To trade in the 1960 model for a brand new 1966 10 hp Ski-doo. Parks agreed to the trade. Bottoms then had America's first Ski-doo completely restored & donated it to the New Hampshire Snowmobile Museum in Allenstown, where still resides today. Paul Crane has Dave Parks' 1966 Ski-doo in his Museum in Lancaster, unrestored but in remarkable condition.

Below is President of Timberland Machines Inc. Mr. Robert Bottoms on left, with the first & only owner of the first Ski-doo on right. In the foreground is the revolutionary Bombardier Ski-doo & the first one to enter America so many years ago. 

Racing didn't really take off until the second one came down. 😆 

Bob Bottoms was inducted into the Eastern Snowmobile Racing Hall of fame as a promoter of both the sport of snowmobiling & racing.

IMG_1564.thumb.jpeg.dd65a3b81705f077922c315e62fd5ee4.jpeg

• Like 7

Cool article. I can remember Timberland a little from my childhood. A friend's grandfather worked for them. I've driven by Crane's museum in Lancaster many times but haven't caught it open when I have had the time to stop.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Funny they were Ski dog .

wonder how the hell Ski Doo was decided. 

The story I always heard that it was a typo and it stuck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1