Check your account email address ×

How to manage your debt.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Debt alone without knowing net worth is a poor measurement.  Also people at certain times of their life will carry more debt.

Debt that you can't make payment on or causes restrictions in needed expenses is more of an issue.  

33 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Debt alone without knowing net worth is a poor measurement.  Also people at certain times of their life will carry more debt.

Debt that you can't make payment on or causes restrictions in needed expenses is more of an issue.  

If I can afford something should I buy it on credit anyway?   😂

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

If I can afford something should I buy it on credit anyway?   😂

Sometimes yes.   

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

What chapter is that in, 11?

:lol:

If I can on average earn more on my money than the interest rate I'm borrowing at why wouldn't I take out a loan?  This isn't even considering deductible interest.   Please don't make financial posts if you are too ignorant to realize this.   All kinds of ways to deduct interest if you have assets in a trust as well. 

While things may have changed with recent increases in interest rates borrowing and leaving investments alone has been a smart strategy for some time.  

Just now, Highmark said:

If I can on average earn more on my money than the interest rate I'm borrowing at why wouldn't I take out a loan?  This isn't even considering deductible interest.   Please don't make financial posts if you are too ignorant to realize this.   All kinds of ways to deduct interest if you have assets in a trust as well. 

While things may have changed with recent increases in interest rates borrowing and leaving investments alone has been a smart strategy for some time.  

dude, it was a joke

guys at work were lol'ng over the SNL skit, except the kid with $200k+ of 'wants it' debt.

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

dude, it was a joke

guys at work were lol'ng over the SNL skit, except the kid with $200k+ of 'wants it' debt.

I was in a a position of having sold one house and buying another. It would've been insane to buy the house outright when I could get a loan for 2.25%.

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I was in a a position of having sold one house and buying another. It would've been insane to buy the house outright when I could get a loan for 2.25%.

right, but we're no longer in those times. 

@Highmarks timing for the video couldn't be more perfect.  there's still people out there financing their souls away like Robert Johnson.

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Most won't understand that.  

Your net worth is your assets minus liabilities, so long as that grows your debt is meaningless.

19 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Shit....I still use credit cards as revolving credit. Just have to be smart about it and use the 0.0 apr for 12 + months promotions.

Borrowed 30k on  2 credit cards to  help purchase a well undervalued 70k camp in NY. Got the money instantly without applying for a loan. Didn't even set foot in the place and turned around and sold the camp for 115k in 2 days being listed.

Should be closing very soon and will pay off those cards and still have a lofty profit leftover.....which I will probably throw in the stock market....this is my play money. Any stock recommendations?

KYSLF , it’s a pink sheet I think 

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:10 AM, Highmark said:

$170k in car loans?  Jesus...

https://www.marketwatch.com/picks/im-paycheck-to-paycheck-i-make-350k-a-year-but-have-88k-in-student-loans-170k-in-car-loans-and-a-mortgage-i-pay-4-500-a-month-on-do-i-need-professional-help-01664544530

• Like 1