Check your account email address ×

'I could declassify documents by thinking about it'

Crnr2Crnr

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Well he's not too far off.

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/government-verify/how-us-presidents-can-declassify-documents-trump-mar-a-lago-search-fact-check/536-e1961390-e7c6-438a-b9b5-671dc9c6f7ec

The U.S. classification system has three levels: top secret, secret and confidential. 

“That is based on the level of damage that its release would cause to the national security of the United States,” Kel McClanahan, executive director of the National Security Counselors, said. “When you classify a document, that means that only people with a security clearance equal to the classification or higher can read it.”

A sitting U.S. president has wide-ranging authority to classify and declassify certain documents, but former presidents do not have authority over classification and declassification.  

Current presidents can classify documents as long as they can “make a plausible argument that it is related to national security.” On the other hand, the president “doesn’t have to give any reason for declassifying” information, according to McClanahan.

“He can just say, ‘I decide that this should be declassified,’ and it’s declassified,” McClanahan said.

The Supreme Court determined in its 1988 decision on Department of the Navy v. Egan that the president’s power over classified information comes from executive authority granted by Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution, which says, in part, that the “President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States.”

“His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security and to determine whether an individual is sufficiently trustworthy to occupy a position in the Executive Branch that will give that person access to such information flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant,” the Supreme Court decision reads.

While it still may not be legal for Trump to possess declassified documents from his presidency, many VERIFY readers, including Beverly and Carole, asked whether the president can declassify documents while in office. 

A sitting U.S. president has wide-ranging authority to classify and declassify certain documents, but former presidents do not have authority over classification and declassification.

When documents are declassified, they are reviewed line-by-line. In many cases, certain words, sentences and paragraphs remain redacted, even if the document is declassified, Immerman said.

Did he declassify them by 'thinking about it' while in office, or after the FBI stopped by for a visit at the request of the national archives at maralargo after the first visit, where he should have turned them all over to avoid the mess he's now in?  Had he turned ALL of the docs over, no 'raid'?  

the man is his own worst enemy 

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

While it still may not be legal for Trump to possess declassified documents from his presidency, many VERIFY readers, including Beverly and Carole, asked whether the president can declassify documents while in office. 

When documents are declassified, they are reviewed line-by-line. In many cases, certain words, sentences and paragraphs remain redacted, even if the document is declassified, Immerman said.

Did he declassify them by 'thinking about it' while in office, or after the FBI stopped by for a visit at the request of the national archives at maralargo after the first visit, where he should have turned them all over to avoid the mess he's now in?  Had he turned ALL of the docs over, no 'raid'?  

the man is his own worst enemy 

The point is they have always given the President wide declassification leeway.   Its in the constitution and backed up by the SC.   The mere act of removing them from the WH can be considered declassification.   There is no set process he must go thru stating they are declassified.  They simply are if he wants them to be.  Do you have any proof he didn't state he was declassifying them.   I actually think some of those he tweeted he would which would be enough.  :lol:  

Its the reason they are stating a specific law about the declassification of documents and trying to get all the other bullshit. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The point is they have always given the President wide declassification leeway.   Its in the constitution and backed up by the SC.   The mere act of removing them from the WH can be considered declassification.   There is no set process he must go thru stating they are declassified.  Do you have any proof he didn't state he was declassifying them.   I actually think some of those he tweeted he would which would be enough.  :lol:  

yes, tons of it. 

my basement is a mess... :roflcrying:

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

didn't he say he was going to desclassify all the ufo/uap and little green men information too? 

a nutha lye

Don't recall that. 

On the other hand, the president “doesn’t have to give any reason for declassifying” information, according to McClanahan.

“He can just say, ‘I decide that this should be declassified,’ and it’s declassified,” McClanahan said.

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'll have to 'think about it'...  :lolz:

Again think about what they are saying they are investigating.....they can't state a declassification law he broke....because there isn't one.  The entire reason for the raid was to try and entrap him on obstruction or lying....that's how they work when they have nothing else. 

I'll give a B+ for effort.   You're a good little TDS stooge.  :lol:  

The national-security experts at the blog Lawfare wrote in the wake of the Post’s revelation that the "infamous comment" by President Richard Nixon — that "when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal" — "is actually true about some things. Classified information is one of them. The nature of the system is that the president gets to disclose what he wants."

Edited by Highmark

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Again think about what they are saying they are investigating.....they can't state a declassification law he broke....because there isn't one. 

I'll give a B+ for effort.   You're a good little TDS stooge.  :lol:  

The national-security experts at the blog Lawfare wrote in the wake of the Post’s revelation that the "infamous comment" by President Richard Nixon — that "when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal" — "is actually true about some things. Classified information is one of them. The nature of the system is that the president gets to disclose what he wants."

he's comically alarming 

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a34361453/trump-acknowledges-ufos-and-threatens-aliens/

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'd bet you really believed the headlines.  Holy fuck.  :lol:

Jesus dude seek reading comprehension and TDS help.  The shit you will buy into is priceless.  :lol:

Enough ownage for today.   I'm going to take money from some nephews in sim golf. 

President Donald Trump, when asked about a new Pentagon task force for studying UFOs, replied that he would look into it—and then began boasting about the power of the U.S. military. Some observers saw this as Trump touting his funding of the Department of Defense, while others saw it as a threat to extraterrestrial beings.

So what, exactly, was Trump getting at in this interview? One interpretation is that Trump riffed on the possible threat of aliens to talk about how much he had done for the U.S. military. Indeed, the president has spent approximately $2.5 trillion on defense, though there’s been no real increase in America’s overall military strength and number of weapons.

The other possibility? This was Trump directly threatening aliens—or, more likely, the foreign governments behind the UAPs that the Pentagon is investigating—with military action.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

• Gold Member

Amazing the amount of time you old farts let Trump occupy your brain on a daily basis.

Hey MC , looks like Karen2Karen might catch up to your record of multiple Trump threads in a day if She keeps it up. :lol:

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Lol at the at Trumps THREADS….it never ends. There is no record of declassification of any docs he stole. Anyone who has any federal job experience know what’s involved with secure docs.

Top GOP Senators Shoot Down Trump's Claim on Declassifying Documents

Top GOP senators, including the chamber’s number two Republican, categorically rebutted former President Donald Trump‘s claim that he had the power to declassify documents “just by saying, ‘It’s declassified,’ even by thinking about it.” 

“There’s a process for declassifying documents. And I think it ought to be adhered to and followed,” said Sen. John Thune (R-SD), the minority whip in the U.S. Senate, when questioned on Trump’s comments by CNN’s Manu Raju on Thursday. 

“And I believe there’s a formal process that needs to go through it, that needs to be gone through and documented. As I understand the executive branch requirements, there is a process that one must go through,” added Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) in a mash-up of answers to Raju...

https://www.mediaite.com/news/top-gop-senators-shoot-down-trumps-claim-on-declassifying-documents-there-is-a-process-one-must-go-through/ 

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

The point is they have always given the President wide declassification leeway.   Its in the constitution and backed up by the SC.   The mere act of removing them from the WH can be considered declassification.   There is no set process he must go thru stating they are declassified.  They simply are if he wants them to be.  Do you have any proof he didn't state he was declassifying them.   I actually think some of those he tweeted he would which would be enough.  :lol:  

It’s the reason they are stating a specific law about the declassification of documents and trying to get all the other bullshit. 

Trump is like I dream of Jeanie. He just blinks his eye and shit happens.