Check your account email address ×

Vr1 boost vs sidewinder

Rod

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

While it appears as though Polaris may have spent some decent money and time with their engine management to pull this off at sea level, the fact still remains that the bottom end of that engine is not going to take what a 4S can. I’ll even be willing to bet that it wont take much to get a stock boost to derate. I do agree that the factory does leave a bit on the table I also know that a lot of people try to get more out of them and a lot of times end up just killing the driveability and longevity of them along the way. Time will tell with this deal but for now, my stance stands. 

Nobody is claiming it will be anywhere near a 4S.   If it can be in the 190-200 on pump that sled is going to be something else.  

30 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Nobody is claiming it will be anywhere near a 4S.   If it can be in the 190-200 on pump that sled is going to be something else.  

Yeah I don’t think you’ll get a lot more out of it without increasing octane 

30 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Is the title of the thread not the booster VR1 vs a winder? The “well, a turned up 998 will do xyz” talk has already started. My contention is that while the Polaris may look good initially, any mods to it will most likely be for minimal gain, on pump gas and the engine would end serious work to get way above that otherwise. In conclusion, the boosted 4S may not win stock but it will hand the 2S boosted sled its ass modified. Add to it that 998 peeps rarely leave their shit stock and the possibility if seeing this same deal play out on the lake, is unlikely. I also doubt the Polaris will run 100%, 100% of the time. Hell, 80% of the time.

That’s it. That’s all I’m saying. This video does not mean that much to me in the grand scheme of things other than good job to Polaris for taking a swing at it. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Is the title of the thread not the booster VR1 vs a winder? The “well, a turned up 998 will do xyz” talk has already started. My contention is that while the Polaris may look good initially, any mods to it will most likely be for minimal gain, on pump gas and the engine would end serious work to get way above that otherwise. In conclusion, the boosted 4S may not win stock but it will hand the 2S boosted sled its ass modified. Add to it that 998 peeps rarely leave their shit stock and the possibility if seeing this same deal play out on the lake, is unlikely. I also doubt the Polaris will run 100%, 100% of the time. Hell, 80% of the time.

That’s it. That’s all I’m saying. This video does not mean that much to me in the grand scheme of things other than good job to Polaris for taking a swing at it. 

Agreed. 

As I stated above the video really means little other than the conditions it was shown in.   I don't feel my winder does well hooking up in those types of conditions so even comparing stock 4s to the Poo is limited on how it was done.   Obviously there are all the other setup issues that come into play even on stock sleds.    

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1