Check your account email address ×

Mass bans new gas and diesel cars and trucks

Plug-in electric vehicle fire incidents

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
40px-Text_document_with_red_question_mar
This article uses bare URLs, which may be threatened by link rot. Please consider converting them to full citations to ensure the article remains verifiable and maintains a consistent citation style. Several templates and tools are available to assist in formatting, such as reFill (documentation). (August 2022) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
40px-Ambox_important.svg.png
hideThis article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2019)
This article may need to be rewritten to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2019)
This article contains weasel words: vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information. (April 2018)
220px-Volvo_C30_Electric_WAS_2011_852.JP

Frontal crash test of a Volvo C30 Drive Electric to assess the safety of the battery pack

Numerous plug-in electric vehicle (EV) fire incidents have taken place since the introduction of mass-production plug-in electric vehicles.[1] As a result of these incidents, the United States Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted a study in 2017 to establish whether lithium-ion batteries in plug-electric vehicles pose an exceptional fire hazard. The research looked at whether the high-voltage batteries can cause fires when they are being charged, and when the vehicles are involved in an accident.[1]

Regarding the risk of electrochemical failure, [this] report concludes that the propensity and severity of fires and explosions from the accidental ignition of flammable electrolytic solvents used in Li-ion battery systems are anticipated to be somewhat comparable to or perhaps slightly less than those for gasoline or diesel vehicular fuels. The overall consequences for Li-ion batteries are expected to be less because of the much smaller amounts of flammable solvent released and burning in a catastrophic failure situation.[1]

The NHTSA in 2021 opened a new Battery Safety Initiative investigation into ev car fires in light of the continuing numerous fire incidents.[2][3]

They were thermal runaway incidents related to the lithium-ion batteries. The brands involved were the Zotye M300 EV, Chevrolet Volt, Fisker Karma, Dodge Ram 1500 Plug-in Hybrid, Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid, Mitsubishi i-MiEV and Outlander P-HEV.

As of February 2014, four fires after an impact have been reported associated with the batteries of plug-in electric cars. The first crash related fire was reported in China in May 2012, after a high-speed car crashed into a BYD e6 taxi in Shenzhen.[4] Two incidents occurred with the Tesla Model S in October 2013, one when a Model S caught fire after the electric car hit metal debris on a highway in Kent, Washington,[5] and another involving a loss of control and collision with a tree in Merida, Mexico.[6] A Tesla Model S being driven on a highway near Murfreesboro, Tennessee caught fire in November 2013 after it struck a tow hitch on the roadway, causing damage beneath the vehicle.[7]

A Mitsubishi Outlander fire in May 2019 appeared to be related to immersion in salt water (which is electrically conductive), probably for an hour or two.[citation needed]

General Motors, Nissan and Tesla have published a guide for firefighters, and first responders to properly handle a crashed electric-drive vehicle and safely disable its battery and other high voltage systems.[8][9]

The difference with EV car fires is the use of high voltage lithium-ion batteries which can short and break down and spontaneously combust, and also that lithium-ion fires are difficult to extinguish and produce toxic smoke.[10][11]

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Are you retarded ? I have three people in my neighborhood alone who just moved here and all told me they had to get the fuck outta Mass :lol:

Massachusetts fucking sucks 

They were probably wanted criminals and had to leave. :lol:

My sister got the fuck out of CT last year, she was paying almost 9 grand a year in property taxes in a town that had resident troopers for police and a volunteer fire dept. She even had to pay for private trash pickup. The 9 grand bought her next to nothing for services. In comparison my mom paid 4500 a year in mass with with police, fire, trash all city provided. She also has municipal electric. 

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

They were probably wanted criminals and had to leave. :lol:

My sister got the fuck out of CT last year, she was paying almost 9 grand a year in property taxes in a town that had resident troopers for police and a volunteer fire dept. She even had to pay for private trash pickup. The 9 grand bought her next to nothing for services. In comparison my mom paid 4500 a year in mass with with police, fire, trash all city provided. She also has municipal electric. 

No disputing the property taxes ...

I pay over 10gs for my spot. Dont even care TBH. Worth it for my situation. 

Where did ur Sister move to outta curiosity?

If i move its gonna be either NH or ME otherwise fuck Sleddin im goin South and will Boat all year round. 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, EvilBird said:

No disputing the property taxes ...

I pay over 10gs for my spot. Dont even care TBH. Worth it for my situation. 

Where did ur Sister move to outta curiosity?

If i move its gonna be either NH or ME otherwise fuck Sleddin im goin South and will Boat all year round. 

North Carolina, they got old and sick of snow. :lol:

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member

CT has no tolls , no vehicle inspection, no helmet law for motorcycles .. I wonder how far behind we will be on the EV shit since CT cant seem to get anything passed MV wise.:lol:

all they seem care about is guns. 

Weird how two close States are so different in ways . 

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

North Carolina, they got old and sick of snow. :lol:

Got married in SC ...almost moved there permanently  

Edited by EvilBird

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

CT has no tolls , no vehicle inspection, no helmet law for motorcycles .. I wonder how far behind we will be on the EV shit since CT cant seem to get anything passed MV wise.:lol:

all they seem care about is guns. 

Weird how two close States are so different in ways . 

I know they were talking about tolling 91 like the mass pike, with congestion pricing to boot. Glad that hasn't gone anywhere. :bc:

Maybe tbey could legalize weed and get money from there. :lol:

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I know they were talking about tolling 91 like the mass pike, with congestion pricing to boot. Glad that hasn't gone anywhere. :bc:

Maybe tbey could legalize weed and get money from there. :lol:

Yeah the tolls aint happening...

and Weed is legal here already :thumb:

1BB0FFCA-4447-417C-893E-31A1EF12CCE6.png