Check your account email address ×

5d chess

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The dollar is by far the desired current in the world. As for gold, neither of their currency is pegged to gold. The US has more than 4 times their gold. In a 24 hour period the US could collapse the price of gold. 

I realize they aren't pegged to gold....why do you think they are buying it by the ton?

32 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I realize they aren't pegged to gold....why do you think they are buying it by the ton?

Same reason Americans have been buying up gold en mass. Speculation. China and India also have a weird obsession with gold jewelry. They consume 4-5x more than the United States. The gold holdings of the US government and its private citizens is almost unbelievable in comparison to other countries. Last I looked Germany is a distant second. 

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Same reason Americans have been buying up gold en mass. Speculation. China and India also have a weird obsession with gold jewelry. They consume 4-5x more than the United States. The gold holdings of the US government and its private citizens is almost unbelievable in comparison to other countries. Last I looked Germany is a distant second. 

https://www.gold.org/goldhub/data/gold-reserves-by-country

As a percentage of GDP would be a better way to look at it.

4 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

https://www.gold.org/goldhub/data/gold-reserves-by-country

As a percentage of GDP would be a better way to look at it.

The better way to look at it is known reserves to mine. China has virtually nothing. Like everything else, they are the largest gross importer of raw materials. They are resource poor. I'm sure their cozy relationship with Africa is a boom for gold. But their almost total lack of resources is why they'd lose in an extended military adventure.