Check your account email address ×

Car performance from the 80's

• Gold Member
4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

i was referring specifically to amerian cars.   European cars and japanese cars of the 80's and early 90's were 10000000x better than american ones.  all were underpowered compared to today but at least they kept rolling.  

gotcha. 

yeah i seen hondas and toyotas of the 90s with ungodly miles on them with little more then brakes and typical wear items replaced and oil changes. terrific motors.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 6/24/2022 at 1:37 PM, p51mstg said:

In 20 years, everyone will look back and realize how misguided the push to EV's was, and how premature the killing of gasoline-power was.

There's a song by Rush called Red Barchetta, and it's about how engines are banned and some old guy managed to hide a red sports car from the government "eyes".  The guy's nephew pulls the cover off and takes it for a ride, only to be discovered by the authorities and narrowly avoids getting caught.

I heard that song the other day, remembering how wildly fantastic and unrealistic the song was when I was younger, and how true it will become in the near future - especially in Canada (where the song was written).

You just had to bring that song up...must have listened to it 10 times since......can't get it out of my head now:wall:....especially now I know the lyrics and story.  Heard it again this morning on a local station while on way back from buying 4th fireworks.   Even though I was in my SUV, still had me pressing the go pedal more than normal...  phenomenal tune, one of the best of all times.  Man, whatever happened to real music like that.?:dunno:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

You just had to bring that song up...must have listened to it 10 times since......can't get it out of my head now:wall:....especially now I know the lyrics and story.  Heard it again this morning on a local station while on way back from buying 4th fireworks.   Even though I was in my SUV, still had me pressing the go pedal more than normal...  phenomenal tune, one of the best of all times.  Man, whatever happened to real music like that.?:dunno:

i was similar towards the earle song 'copperhead road'.i always heard it on the radio as a kid and thought it ok but overplayed and kinda poppy so never paid much mind to the lyrics of it.

then when i listened to it again later on after a few years i realized what a cool story was behind it.much more appriciative of it now as a quality tune.

Edited by ZR800efi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

i was referring specifically to amerian cars.   European cars and japanese cars of the 80's and early 90's were 10000000x better than american ones.  all were underpowered compared to today but at least they kept rolling.  

I don't know. My 37 year old 5.0 still works pretty darn good. Gets decent mileage too.

I do love my Toyotas though.

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 hours ago, ZR800efi said:

i was similar towards the earle song 'copperhead road'.i always heard it on the radio as a kid and thought it ok but overplayed and kinda poppy so never paid much mind to the lyrics of it.

then when i listened to it again later on after a few years i realized what a cool story was behind it.much more appriciative of it now as a quality tune.

I don't think I have ever heard that song......but good lyrics and story for sure.:bc:

• Like 1