Sheriff: Two injured when bear breaks through window into Taylor County home

• WAOW
  •  
    • May 21, 2022 Updated 34 min ago
    •  
      •  

Bears
624e582a85967.image.jpg?resize=200%2C112

MEDFORD, Wis. (WAOW) -- Officials say two people were injured when a bear attacked them inside their home in Medford.

According to a news release from The Taylor County Sheriff's Office:

A married couple noticed a bear eating from the bird feeder in their yard late Friday night. They opened the window, yelling for the bear to go away. Instead, the bear turned and charged at the house, busting through the window and attacking the man and woman.

The couple fought back, at one point stabbing the bear with a kitchen knife before the man was able to get his firearm. At that point, he shot and killed the bear inside the home.

The man and woman both had numerous bites and other injuries; they were taken to an area hospital, where they were treated and then released. The couple's children were also in the home at the time of the attack, but they were asleep and unharmed.

According to the sheriff's office, the bear was an adult female that appeared to have one cub. The cub was seen running off as the bear charged the house.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has taken possession of the bear for testing.

Have any story ideas? You can send them to news@waow.com

2 minutes ago, Badger** said:

Do they have bear up there?? I am very sorry I missed that forgive me. 

Yes they do,,healthy population,between 4-5000. Anything else you need to know about the US,,I'm your guy:thumbsup:. I watch Northwoods Law.

don't mess with mamma 🐻 

also, don't have bird feeders or a food source for them too close to your house, especially if you have kids 

we've had bear three times in our back yard during 'fawn' season and we're right in town.  most bear 'problems' stem from human ignorance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger** said:

Yes, we would play basketball with his son in their driveway, this was before Pep sold Tombstone Pizza. 

My daughter bought his home with inside pool.

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

My daughter bought his home with inside pool.

They were on Conrad Cove or Dr back when I was a kid, mom and dad built a home on Doyle Place. Pool, not that I recall back then.