Check your account email address ×

*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I just looked up Kasey Kahne, he is only 38. I think Jr was 42 when he retired. What is going to be the new average retirement age?

40 , unless you are winning  multi times per year , placing in the top 15 , or willing to take a deep pay cut to keep your ass in the big show.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Junior and Terry told another cool story...after his dads death Junior was still wearing the open face and no head restraint and as he put he was hardheaded and if his dad did it he was going to do it. Anyhow they were at race in the motorhome lot and Schrader walked in his trailer and said come with me for a little bit ...they walk over to Schraders bus and walk in and there is like 5 of the “dudes” as Jr. calls them sitting there so he sits down next to Terry Labonte wondering WTH is going on...Labonte says we want you around for awhile so you need to start wearing a full face and neck restraint...the next day Junior did it. Cool story.

From what i remember sr didnt want jr wearing a full face...and that jr actually had one in his car to wear the race his dad was killed before the race and sr took it from him...could be bs...but i remember seeing that somewhere.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, DAVE said:

From what i remember sr didnt want jr wearing a full face...and that jr actually had one in his car to wear the race his dad was killed before the race and sr took it from him...could be bs...but i remember seeing that somewhere.

The way Junior made it sound was that he wouldn’t wear one even after his dad died until those guys sat him down.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The way Junior made it sound was that he wouldn’t wear one even after his dad died until those guys sat him down.

Found it earlier.....

Little E joins the helmet crew

•  
    •  

Associated Press

People might not recognize the guy starting on the pole in today's NAPA 500 at Hampton, Ga.

In the past, the face of Dale Earnhardt Jr. could be clearly seen through the windshield of the No. 8 Budweiser Chevrolet, thanks to the open-face helmet he wore - just like his father.

Last Sunday in Homestead, Fla., was the first time that Earnhardt Jr. has used a full-face helmet in a stock car race, and the 27-year-old driver is really happy with the decision to change.

"I wore a full-face helmet when my dad and I drove in the Corvette at Daytona," the younger Earnhardt said Saturday, referring to the Rolex 24 sports car race last February. "I really liked it and I brought one to Daytona, but my dad saw it and snatched it out of the car and I figured that was it."

The elder Earnhardt, whose death in a racing crash in the Daytona 500 later that month precipitated a major safety initiative in NASCAR, strongly believed that open-face helmets were safer because of visibility.

After his father's death, Little E said he stayed with the open-face helmet because of the elder Earnhardt's wishes.

That changed a couple of weeks ago when Gary Nelson, NASCAR's Winston Cup director, walked up to Earnhardt Jr. and asked him what it would take to get him into a full-face helmet.

"I wasn't sure what to do," said Earnhardt, who went to his father's widow and owner of the Dale Earnhardt Inc. team, as well as crew chief Tony Eury for advice. "They felt fine about it. So I feel good."

With Earnhardt Jr. now in a full-face helmet, the remaining holdouts among the regulars in NASCAR's top stock car series are Jimmy Spencer, Ron Hornaday Jr. and Dave Marcis

• Thanks 2

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Interesting...some of that is what he said on his show but he definitely said it was Labonte and Schrader that convinced him.

Im not disagreeing with you. :lol:

I just thought it was funny that jr being a grown man...still did what sr wanted him too.

1 minute ago, DAVE said:

Im not disagreeing with you. :lol:

I just thought it was funny that jr being a grown man...still did what sr wanted him too.

Oh I know your not...just wondering about the differing stories. I guess I never realized how strong of a grip Senior had on Junior.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Oh I know your not...just wondering about the differing stories. I guess I never realized how strong of a grip Senior had on Junior.

Even Teresa had a strong grip i think...look at how hard it was for him to go to hendrick.

Because of the threat of rain tonight's start time has been moved to 7:28 and tomorrow's race to 6:46. Strange times maybe Brian is still in charge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DAVE said:

Even Teresa had a strong grip i think...look at how hard it was for him to go to hendrick.

Good god is she a cunt....suing Kerry Earnhardt for using his own name to promote his business. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Good god is she a cunt....suing Kerry Earnhardt for using his own name to promote his business. 

An that is saying something nice about her. In the francecar  world  , she is the Potus 45 of lawsuits and checking boxes .

7 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Junior and Terry told another cool story...after his dads death Junior was still wearing the open face and no head restraint and as he put he was hardheaded and if his dad did it he was going to do it. Anyhow they were at race in the motorhome lot and Schrader walked in his trailer and said come with me for a little bit ...they walk over to Schraders bus and walk in and there is like 5 of the “dudes” as Jr. calls them sitting there so he sits down next to Terry Labonte wondering WTH is going on...Labonte says we want you around for awhile so you need to start wearing a full face and neck restraint...the next day Junior did it. Cool story.

I wish more sanctioning bodies would push some safety changes down to local short tracks.  Some of the stuff I've seen, even in 2018, has been downright head scratching. 

It wasn't that long ago that some of the major dirt track sanctions finally mandated flame retardant gloves.  

Many people will spend that $1000 on the next and newest low friction go fast do-hickey but not on a decent helmet, firesuit, neck restraint or seat.  

• Like 1

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I wish more sanctioning bodies would push some safety changes down to local short tracks.  Some of the stuff I've seen, even in 2018, has been downright head scratching. 

It wasn't that long ago that some of the major dirt track sanctions finally mandated flame retardant gloves.  

Many people will spend that $1000 on the next and newest low friction go fast do-hickey but not on a decent helmet, firesuit, neck restraint or seat.  

It's all readily available so not using it is assinine.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Stands are empty...sad.

francecar   priced the working stiffs out from their own show. Bristol night races were the tickets to have.  I do think all fan sit on your ass sports  have lost a ton of people ,  motorsports , stick , ball and jockstrap .

Just now, hwytohell said:

francecar   priced the working stiffs out from their own show. Bristol night races were the tickets to have.  I do think all fan sit on your ass sports  have lost a ton of people ,  motorsports , stick , ball and jockstrap .

I guess we'll see how attendance looks tomorrow night...not very hopeful.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I guess we'll see how attendance looks tomorrow night...not very hopeful.

Is it going to continue to get worse as the older drivers continue to retire?

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

YUP !   Plus my personal piss off is the fools racing with the worst braking systems they can cheap out on.

Just now, ckf said:

Is it going to continue to get worse as the older drivers continue to retire?

Hard to say....hopefully guys like Chase Elliot and Ryan Blaney are attracting new younger fans.

5  out of the top 6 in the race right now are Cup drivers.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

It's all readily available so not using it is assinine.

2 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

YUP !   Plus my personal piss off is the fools racing with the worst braking systems they can cheap out on.

Mine is safety, whether it is from the racer, track, or sanction. 

Everyone thinks that one accident or fire will happen somewhere else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Hard to say....hopefully guys like Chase Elliot and Ryan Blaney are attracting new younger fans.

5  out of the top 6 in the race right now are Cup drivers.

Chase will be the new face of Nascar. If he hadn't won soon Nascar would have had to throw a few key debris cautions 😉

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Christopher Bell is hanging tough against these Cup guys....he is a wheelman.

Yes he is :thumbsup: