Check your account email address ×

*** OFFICIAL FS Ontario Vintage Sled Thread ***

Puzzleboy

2 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

It's back , for less now too .

Blade , you need this :)

**Polaris Indy LE 600 Triple** on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/kawartha-lakes/polaris-indy-le-600-triple/1240058322

I Never owned an LE... But did own an 83 Indy 600 and an 87 - 600. From there it was 650's or " stay home "....... Running the " C note " on " Kevlar lake ".

Where the hell have I heard that before.......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

C note on the dream-o-meter perhaps......

You might have to go thru a few issues of those soiled Snowgoer mags .....To find that a good running Indy 500 would touch 94+ on the gun. Not bad for 70+ hp. Have seen a 91 RXL run a 107 but ......My SLP equipped Ohlins suspended 650 was just a little faster on top.

• Like 1

Well, I saw a 2017 XCR do 92mph on the gun last weekend..... maybe we should all start riding 1991 RXLs.  :)

All depends on the day though.  

I'll call bullshit on a stock Indy 500 running 94+.  My old 670 ran 96 on glare ice, perfect conditions. 

Actually Puzzler , they did . With lower , flatter suspensions there was very little drag . Once they started puttin in tall suspensions the attack angle was much higher which will cause more drag and take it right off the top end . 

Same reasons your Blizzards run quick , so come on Boy'ee , lets gets some old iron out on Kevlar lake . ........ 

• Like 1

Depends on the day...as you know.  Way back when I won the 500 class on my 91 Indy 500......that day I went 78mph...for real the next fastest was my brother on his 89 500 at 77 then a Plus at 76 mph. Slow day for all but I didn't care because I won......to compare an RXL ran 86mph and won the overall speed.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

We all know that today's sleds have slowed down in some respects.  Suspension, tracks, lugs, many factors. 

But a stock 70 hp Indy 500 running 94+ on the gun ..... I call bullshit.  :)

Today's sled have slowed down a lot....

That being said... I'm talking about a new sled back then. Not a 500 Indy with 8000 miles sporting a worn out clutch and a " Thin Belt "...

3 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Well, I saw a 2017 XCR do 92mph on the gun last weekend..... maybe we should all start riding 1991 RXLs.  :)

All depends on the day though.  

I'll call bullshit on a stock Indy 500 running 94+.  My old 670 ran 96 on glare ice, perfect conditions. 

Fast XCR....likely the guy holding the gun was a little questionable.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Today's sled have slowed down a lot....

That being said... I'm talking about a new sled back then. Not a 500 Indy with 8000 miles sporting a worn out clutch and a " Thin Belt "...

Those sleds would do those speeds on those perfect days, and I know the conditions, 2500ft plowed ice cold.

I ran my brand new 2000 MXZ700 thru the gun on Calabogie Lake at 107mph. My brothers 99 XCR 800 went thru right after me at 113 mph.  

Edited by Poncho

8 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Depends on the day...as you know.  Way back when I won the 500 class on my 91 Indy 500......that day I went 78mph...for real the next fastest was my brother on his 89 500 at 77 then a Plus at 76 mph. Slow day for all but I didn't care because I won......to compare an RXL ran 86mph and won the overall speed.  

The Plus was a 521? Can't recall their rated HP...... Must have been a little less then the Indy 5..... 69 HP maybe?

3 minutes ago, bladefever said:

The Plus was a 521? Can't recall their rated HP...... Must have been a little less then the Indy 5..... 69 HP maybe?

Yep......521.

Those Indys were fast I ran my dads 93 500 EFI thru the gun on hard pack lake at 93mph then right after ran my 95 Storm thru at 119 mph....buddies 1994 VMax 600 went 91mph.....it was so pissed he sold it.  He bought a new 96 ZRT 800.... That was a pretty fast lake runner too.  

2 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Yep......521.

Those Indys were fast I ran my dads 93 500 EFI thru the gun on hard pack lake at 93mph then right after ran my 95 Storm thru at 119 mph....buddies 1994 VMax 600 went 91mph.....it was so pissed he sold it.  He bought a new 96 ZRT 800.... That was a pretty fast lake runner too.  

That was a good speed for the VMax....

The 570 Exciter would be hard pressed to break 88 on the gun

2 minutes ago, bladefever said:

That was a good speed for the VMax....

The 570 Exciter would be hard pressed to break 88 on the gun

That would be down wind on ice with a fan cooled Indy trail pushing his snow flap.  My buddies 570 Exciter would not run top end with my 85 Indy 400..... 

• Like 1

Lol.  Well, the 521 in the 9700 had 86hp.  So pretty doubtful the later Plus had 69.  But if it fits the Pro-Polaris narrative, why not...... :)

24 minutes ago, bladefever said:

• Like 1

Nitrous on that 400? :)

I'll bet that Exciter spanked that lil' fella outta the hole though. 

5 minutes ago, Poncho said:

That would be down wind on ice with a fan cooled Indy trail pushing his snow flap.  My buddies 570 Exciter would not run top end with my 85 Indy 400..... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Lol.  Well, the 521 in the 9700 had 86hp.  So pretty doubtful the later Plus had 69.  But if it fits the Pro-Polaris narrative, why not...... :)

I'm betting he was joking....:)

16 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Think the EX 570 Was rated around 84 HP.....Indy 400 around 64 ish...... Sounds like a fair match to me........

Blade and Poncho claim these old Polarii would pretty much break the sound barrier..... but were they not in business in 1982?

Where was the IFS Indy???

1982.jpg

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Nitrous on that 400? :)

I'll bet that Exciter spanked that lil' fella outta the hole though. 

No, not even close, they were complete slugs and complete under achiever, but the later model Exciter II was better.  The original Exciter had power, way more than my 400, but no manufacturer back in the day could seem to get the power to the ground. That little free spinning 400 would edge the Exciter, especially out of the hole.  Remember the clutching in the Doo's and Yamahas were garbage and the tracks shit.  Yamahas 1/4" lug and Doo 16" wide low lug fat tracker really killed horse power. The P85 and 1/2 lug 15" track was the reason Polaris could get a 70hp 500 run 90mph on the right day.  The rest, except Cat, couldn't get there.

• Like 2