Check your account email address ×

Covid and smokers

• Platinum Contributing Member

As with most everything about this virus, there is a lot of conflicting info about how smoking may or may not have an affect on the outcomes.....I guess keep on puffing if you think its somehow good for you :dunno:

..https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/coronavirus-and-smoking-how-do-cigarettes-pot-and-vaping-affect-infections-and-outcomes/ar-BB1378Bn

1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

As with most everything about this virus, there is a lot of conflicting info about how smoking may or may not have an affect on the outcomes.....I guess keep on puffing if you think its somehow good for you :dunno:

..https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/coronavirus-and-smoking-how-do-cigarettes-pot-and-vaping-affect-infections-and-outcomes/ar-BB1378Bn

spin posted a thread about a French study using nicotine patches

2 hours ago, Snake said:

smoke.thumb.PNG.ef11588825a060a5f31456da0d9eb2f5.PNG

Only 1.3% catch it.

My buddy posted a link on facebook reading that smokers/vapers, because their lungs are coated, are less likely to catch it and die like your link above proves.

I read some of it but thought, based on what I have always been told about smoking, that it is likely some sort of an onion/fake news piece so I didn't give it much thought.

Might have to dig it up and read it fully this time? 

4 minutes ago, irv said:

My buddy posted a link on facebook reading that smokers/vapers, because their lungs are coated, are less likely to catch it and die like your link above proves.

I read some of it but thought, based on what I have always been told about smoking, that it is likely some sort of an onion/fake news piece so I didn't give it much thought.

Might have to dig it up and read it fully this time? 

From the little I read it had to do with nicotine having an effect on the receptors.

That is the extent of my knowledge.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

spin posted a thread about a French study using nicotine patches

Never saw that thread.....this chart is a little confusing to me. Seems they are just listing the outcomes for severe respiratory responses from those infected with underlying conditions,  which includes smokers. Doesn't  mean smoking prevents one from contracting it?

21 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Never saw that thread.....this chart is a little confusing to me. Seems they are just listing the outcomes for severe respiratory responses from those infected with underlying conditions,  which includes smokers. Doesn't  mean smoking prevents one from contracting it?

I think the whole point is that at the beginning smoking was considered to be a high risk. Of the 12,000 who identified as positive, it does seem odd only 1.3%.

It absolutely does not mean it prevents it, it means it it worth looking into when you get an anomaly like this.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Snake said:

I think the whole point is that at the beginning smoking was considered to be a high risk. Of the 12,000 who identified as positive, it does seem odd only 1.3%.

It absolutely does not mean it prevents it, it means it it worth looking into when you get an anomaly like this.

Just another example of how incompetent the medical establishment has been on this shit. 

CDC/WHO: most who are dying are old smokers. 

CDC/WHO: smoking may prevent the CV.