Check your account email address ×

The official billiards thread

13 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Sold my dynamo bar box and bought another table yesterday 

Ive never seen or heard of this manufacturer but this table is very cool. Much better quality than a typical valley table. Completely made in Europe 

I am recovering the bed and rails in tournament blue cloth

https://www.samleisure.co.uk/product/bison-7ft-american-pool-table/

Why a 7ft instead of a 4x8 or 4.5x9 . If I had the space I'd be looking to put a Diamond or a Gold Crown 4.5x9ft.

1 minute ago, smokin george said:

Why a 7ft instead of a 4x8 or 4.5x9 . If I had the space I'd be looking to put a Diamond or a Gold Crown 4.5x9ft.

I don’t have the space and we play leagues and tournaments on 7’ valley tables so it makes sense to practice on the same playing surface

• Like 1

I have a 4x8 in my game room,  needs to be recovered.  right now it's got boxes of xmas decorations on it as the wifes supposed to cull the crap out before putting them in the eve storage.  Been there since December 1st and I don't see that it's progressed at all.  Maybe i'll get her pissed at me this weekend by suggesting she get off her ass and clean up there.    

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Ok I get it! Are you going with Simonis 860

No , the vendor gave me a new set of Mercury ultra 21oz. It will be fine for now. When I buy my own I will go with tour 3030 as it wears better and plays faster than 860 from what I read. If I had to pay for Simonis I’d go 760

26 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I've got a neighbour that renovated his basement and has a 4x8. I've been invited to go play once this shit is over. I'm hoping he knows how to play 

I’ve been playing dozens of racks teaching my buddy to play. It’s tough to keep my game at a high level but it’s fun to teach

18 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I have a 4x8 in my game room,  needs to be recovered.  right now it's got boxes of xmas decorations on it as the wifes supposed to cull the crap out before putting them in the eve storage.  Been there since December 1st and I don't see that it's progressed at all.  Maybe i'll get her pissed at me this weekend by suggesting she get off her ass and clean up there.    

This is a sad story....quit being a jerk and get the table straightened out

• 3 weeks later...

Table is in the house and played for about 6 hours yesterday. Very happy with the table overall. 

Wife spilled fucking coffee on the new cloth when it was still in the bag so I have a nice stain to deal with. I had planned on purchasing different felt either way so I was only mildly pissed.

After playing for some time it’s evident that the cushions are past their time. I’ll be ordering new cloth and cushions shortly and redoing everything. Might go with accufast cushions if I can find the right deal

26407F95-14C2-42F0-91CA-165B98A7E705.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Table is in the house and played for about 6 hours yesterday. Very happy with the table overall. 

Wife spilled fucking coffee on the new cloth when it was still in the bag so I have a nice stain to deal with. I had planned on purchasing different felt either way so I was only mildly pissed.

After playing for some time it’s evident that the cushions are past their time. I’ll be ordering new cloth and cushions shortly and redoing everything. Might go with accufast cushions if I can find the right deal

Nice work. Dead rails are no fun. 

Looking good Ben. Does urethane insulation require a vapor barrier just under the drywall there. It didnt here for a long time but the rules were changed back in the ‘80’s and now a vapor barrier is required. 

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Looking good Ben. Does urethane insulation require a vapor barrier just under the drywall there. It didnt here for a long time but the rules were changed back in the ‘80’s and now a vapor barrier is required. 

I will not be using a vapor barrier ....I find the use of a vapor barrier with spf to be about the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. As far as code if you’re foam meets the required perm rating no barrier is required

Also the term is now vapor retarder and there are many ways to achieve the standard. Two coats of latex interior paint over Sheetrock meets the perm rating

Walls and ceilings are being finished in red oak t&g ....I dropped off 1700bd ft at the mill to get planed on weds. Got one hell of a deal on the stuff 

Just now, Woodtick said:

Looks good Ben. Good idea hiding your Phaggitness with blankets on the windows.

Can’t have the neighbors watching me rail the old lady !!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

So it isn’t a coffee stain?

There will be no sex on the pool table. Our bed is currently in the billiard room until I get carpet put down upstairs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I will not be using a vapor barrier ....I find the use of a vapor barrier with spf to be about the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. As far as code if you’re foam meets the required perm rating no barrier is required

Also the term is now vapor retarder and there are many ways to achieve the standard. Two coats of latex interior paint over Sheetrock meets the perm rating

Walls and ceilings are being finished in red oak t&g ....I dropped off 1700bd ft at the mill to get planed on weds. Got one hell of a deal on the stuff 

I see. Good stuff to know. 

The new room is looking good for sure. The red oak will go over taped drywall?  How will you fasten the oak to the ceiling and walls?

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I see. Good stuff to know. 

The new room is looking good for sure. The red oak will go over taped drywall?  How will you fasten the oak to the ceiling and walls?

Red oak will go right on the studs and I’ll use 16ga finish nails...

Im also taking your advice on insulating the foundation. I’ve spent a bit of time thinking about how you had suggested and it made sense to me. I’ll take pics when I get it done

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Red oak will go right on the studs and I’ll use 16ga finish nails...

Im also taking your advice on insulating the foundation. I’ve spent a bit of time thinking about how you had suggested and it made sense to me. I’ll take pics when I get it done

Insulating the perimeter of the foundation is a good idea IMO. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Looks good Ben, always liked playing pool but man it's been a while..