Check your account email address ×

Hear what Barack Obama said in 2014 about pandemics

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Anler said:

Oh I know. I mean to the point where there is no temporary fix, complete meltdown. :thumbsup:

Long ways from that.   Debt to GDP will still be manageable if we can get thru this without spending more than 6-10 trillion.

Just now, Highmark said:

Long ways from that.   Debt to GDP will still be manageable if we can get thru this without spending more than 6-10 trillion.

Im thinking in another 10 years when we have to do this again will be the point of no return. I am changing my retirement plans. 

30 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Link?   Obama had all of congress for a few years.   What's the excuse there?   Trump hasn't had all of congress his 3+ years either.   

he had a super majority for less than a year but in that year had he had leadership skills he could have made some major changes.  

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Im thinking in another 10 years when we have to do this again will be the point of no return. I am changing my retirement plans. 

Without question there needs to be a serious learning curve on this one.   From more localized shutting down of business' to a dramatic change in the supply chain and where and what we produce.   I don't think even state wide MW is smart neither do I think statewide shutdown of the economy during a pandemic is. 

There needs to be a major effort to produce a drug that can make these different types of virus' far less fatal.   Vaccine after it hits is not a realistic solution....simply takes far too long.   We need to take a look at the SARS, MERS, H1N1, COVID-19 and anything else that spreads like the flu and attack them with the ability to lessen their effect or even a cure.   

Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

he had a super majority for less than a year but in that year had he had leadership skills he could have made some major changes.  

Just because you have a super majority doesn't mean you can always get everything done you would like.   There are methods for the other side to stop it.  60 vote threshold to get a bill to the floor in the Senate being a huge one. 

Just now, Highmark said:

Without question there needs to be a serious learning curve on this one.   From more localized shutting down of business' to a dramatic change in the supply chain and where and what we produce.   I don't think even state wide MW is smart neither do I think statewide shutdown of the economy during a pandemic is.   

The country is too polarized to come together and make meaningful changes, I have zero confidence going forward. You have to look out for yourself, fuck everybody else. 

28 minutes ago, Anler said:

The country is too polarized to come together and make meaningful changes, I have zero confidence going forward. You have to look out for yourself, fuck everybody else. 

Been saying that for a long time. :thumbsup:

On 4/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, Highmark said:

Link?   Obama had all of congress for a few years.   What's the excuse there?   Trump hasn't had all of congress his 3+ years either.   

He went for healthcare and got it.

Now let's stay on subject, which is in 2014 Obama wanted to do something about future pandemics; we know the Republican Congress did nothing...this made Mitch McConnell happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Now let's stay on subject, which is in 2014 Obama wanted to do something about future pandemics; we know the Republican Congress did nothing...this made Mitch McConnell happy.

Read up on his ventilator catastrophe.

H1N1 killed stockpiles.  Not for the reasons most people think.

I worked with people on the team that ran the H1N1 stockpile.  We were ready to respond to any major outbreak in the country.  And I mean fully respond in less than a day.  We also had enough vaccine to basically treat the population.

You know what, that costs money.  It costs a lot of money.  Warehouses full of supplies ready to go.  Yards full of trailers waiting to deliver.  Vaccine stored in huge cold storage warehouses and lots filled with reefer trailers to boot.  All of it kept up to full compliance for medical supply as per rules from the FDA, and DEA, just in case the need evolved.  It also takes a lot of people to make this stuff happen at a moments notice.  People and supplies that just sit until the need is present.

H1N1 was a dud.  Some said government cried wolf.

People, (lawmakers) saw the money that was spent.  They said that wasn't going to happen anymore.  The programs were essentially killed and the supplies were slowly depleted.  Everybody was able to stand around and pat themselves on the back for that move.  They saved people tons of money.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, favoritos said:

H1N1 killed stockpiles.  Not for the reasons most people think.

I worked with people on the team that ran the H1N1 stockpile.  We were ready to respond to any major outbreak in the country.  And I mean fully respond in less than a day.  We also had enough vaccine to basically treat the population.

You know what, that costs money.  It costs a lot of money.  Warehouses full of supplies ready to go.  Yards full of trailers waiting to deliver.  Vaccine stored in huge cold storage warehouses and lots filled with reefer trailers to boot.  All of it kept up to full compliance for medical supply as per rules from the FDA, and DEA, just in case the need evolved.  It also takes a lot of people to make this stuff happen at a moments notice.  People and supplies that just sit until the need is present.

H1N1 was a dud.  Some said government cried wolf.

People, (lawmakers) saw the money that was spent.  They said that wasn't going to happen anymore.  The programs were essentially killed and the supplies were slowly depleted.  Everybody was able to stand around and pat themselves on the back for that move.  They saved people tons of money.

Very good post....some much needed perspective at a time when  there is an abundance of misleading and conflicting information.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Give me a link, I always give a link :bc:

I've posted it a number of times.   Google Obama and ventilators.  You won't believe or put anything on him anyway.

Edited by Highmark

5 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

a shitty clusterfuck of a program though