Check your account email address ×

Can't Get Oxygen Helmet Working

• Platinum Contributing Member

I bought the wife and I new Oxygen helmets a couple weeks ago. Tried them out the other day and hers worked fine but mine wouldn't come on. Rode out the day without it with the helmet open a crack.

So here I am fucking with it today and I'm not getting anywhere.

This is on my '15 Cat. I have the factory adapter that plugs in to the sled harness. I have ground and +12 at the factory plug. I have ground and +12 at the end of the adapter. I plug my Cat Helmet in to the adapter and it powers up.

Plug in the Oxygen cord and nothing. Plug in the wife''s cord, nothing. Tried reversing helmets and cords around, nothing. Plug either combo into the wife's Yamaha and they both work with either cord.

So this means I have some form of bad connection between the Cat Adapter and the Oxygen cord?

Doesn'''t make sense. There's just not much to it. I don''t know the Oxygen wiring to be able to probe the helmet connection points.

Suggestions.

I had some issues installing mine also but different than yours. I would say there is an issue with the adapter. Try doing a direct to the battery, thats what I ended up doing. And do it without any other connectors just a straight hook up. 

Go right to the battery. Did it work while riding your wife’s sled? Some brands of sleds don’t make power to the helmet plug in,until the sled is at a certain RPM. Check the cord at idle and there will be zero volts. 2500 rpm there will be 12 volts.  This is why a lot of people  go straight to the battery with a in line fuse. 

I would try that but they never gave me the sled side of the electrical with the helmets. I have to make a trip out and buy one but its looking like thats what I will have to try next.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I would try that but they never gave me the sled side of the electrical with the helmets. I have to make a trip out and buy one but its looking like thats what I will have to try next.

If you have an RCA plug for the sled you can make your own. Thats what I did and it works now. I soldered the connections and used shrink wraps on the connections. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I bought the wife and I new Oxygen helmets a couple weeks ago. Tried them out the other day and hers worked fine but mine wouldn't come on. Rode out the day without it with the helmet open a crack.

So here I am fucking with it today and I'm not getting anywhere.

This is on my '15 Cat. I have the factory adapter that plugs in to the sled harness. I have ground and +12 at the factory plug. I have ground and +12 at the end of the adapter. I plug my Cat Helmet in to the adapter and it powers up.

Plug in the Oxygen cord and nothing. Plug in the wife''s cord, nothing. Tried reversing helmets and cords around, nothing. Plug either combo into the wife's Yamaha and they both work with either cord.

So this means I have some form of bad connection between the Cat Adapter and the Oxygen cord?

Doesn'''t make sense. There's just not much to it. I don''t know the Oxygen wiring to be able to probe the helmet connection points.

Suggestions.

Just think there must at least 75% of Doolaid riders out there with the same.  Only thing is they swear it works great.

:lol:

Sorry.

46 minutes ago, Anler said:

If you have an RCA plug for the sled you can make your own. Thats what I did and it works now. I soldered the connections and used shrink wraps on the connections. 

I dont have a spare around.

1 hour ago, Anler said:

It doesnt matter, it will work both ways

not so sure with that fancy controller.  Cat if i recall correctly used to take the power from the same circuit as the headlight and the power feed was pretty dirty.  Helmets are working on another sled and a cheap shield is working on the Cat so the only logical thing is the current.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

not so sure with that fancy controller.  Cat if i recall correctly used to take the power from the same circuit as the headlight and the power feed was pretty dirty.  Helmets are working on another sled and a cheap shield is working on the Cat so the only logical thing is the current.  

Well I hit the internets hard when I was having the issue with mine and was told it works on both AC and DC. I guess some of the accessory plugs are AC. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

A lot of instrumentation we work with is good from 5 VDC/AC up to 380VDC/AC.  Read the specs.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

What does your meter read?

What meter? I put a test light on it and then plugged the fucker in. It works great now. I had a connector on it and it must have been vibration or some interference or something because the helmet worked fine when the sled wasnt running but as soon as you turned it on everything went haywire. I made a custom wire harness with the soldered connection and re-ran it and now it works perfect. Oh I put an inline fuse in it also. 

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Did the helmet come with one? You can usually get them from any motorsports dealer for like $15

No, apparently for $750 you don't get the sled side....lol

I drove to Royal Distributing and bought one for $30. Going to try it now.

Edit, and it works. Son of a bitch.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

My Oxygen works fine on my 2-stroke Cat with the RCA adapter in the power port. 

Fuse blown Blackstar? 

57 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

My helmet came with the sled side cord. That sucks yours didn’t. 

At least you’re back in business. :bc: 

Edited by bussman

8 minutes ago, bussman said:

My Oxygen works fine on my 2-stroke Cat with the RCA adapter in the power port. 

Fuse blown Blackstar? 

I don't have a factory power port. I have the Cat adapter that plugs in to the wiring harness behind the muffler, above the right footwell.

This piece.

ECE905C4-20CB-4FB2-B82C-F6074B5AB913.thumb.jpeg.9058c682a11425d11ce51765dd8f04d9.jpeg

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

:bc:

22 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't have a factory power port. I have the Cat adapter that plugs in to the wiring harness behind the muffler, above the right footwell.

This piece.

ECE905C4-20CB-4FB2-B82C-F6074B5AB913.thumb.jpeg.9058c682a11425d11ce51765dd8f04d9.jpeg

Gotcha. I thought all newer Cats came with that power port. Guess not. :bc: