Check your account email address ×

Americans Spend Nearly As Much on Illegal Drugs As They Do on Booze

• Platinum Contributing Member

Legalize and sin tax them.  :lol:  Nice little chunk of change to fed and state govts.  :lol:  

Between booze and illegal drugs American's spend almost $1200 per person or ave $4800 per family of 4.  :lol:  I'm surprised the booze numbers aren't higher.  

https://reason.com/2019/08/20/americans-spend-nearly-as-much-on-illegal-drugs-as-they-do-on-booze-which-shows-what-a-ripoff-prohibition-is/

Americans spent nearly $150 billion on marijuana, heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine in 2016, according to a RAND Corporation report released today. Total spending on illegal drugs, including psychedelics and MDMA, would have been even higher. By comparison, Americans spent $227 billion on alcoholic beverages in 2016.

The fact that the illegal drug market and the alcohol market are in the same ballpark is pretty remarkable, given that drinkers outnumber illegal drug users by more than 4 to 1. The "risk premium" associated with prohibition helps explain why illegal drug users nevertheless manage to spend almost as much money as drinkers do. The near-parity in spending reflects the profits traffickers can earn thanks to prohibition and the welfare loss caused by artificially high prices. Prohibition enriches criminals and rips off consumers.

Of the four drugs considered by RAND, marijuana (including state-legal products), accounted for the biggest share of spending (36 percent), followed by heroin (29 percent), methamphetamine (18 percent), and cocaine (16 percent). Adjusting for inflation, the researchers found that cocaine spending fell by 59 percent from 2006 to 2016, while spending on methamphetamine, heroin, and marijuana rose by 23 percent, 39 percent, and 53 percent, respectively.

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, irv said:

I wonder how they know this? Is it based on assumptions/the amount of busts or something else? 

Yeah....lots of assumptions.   I think the number is low myself.

These numbers are based on multi-step calculations drawing on several data sources related to drug use and prices. Some of those sources are more dependable than others. As RAND's drug policy researchers have pointed out before, the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) misses a lot of heroin users, both because they are underrepresented in the sample and because people are especially reluctant to admit the use of this drug.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anler said:

It sure would be cool if you can just run down to the store to pick up an 8 ball. Snowmobiling day and nite!

I'd rather people have a few Nose-beers and ride than pound 18 Coors and try to race their buddy on their clapped out F6

8 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

I'd rather people have a few Nose-beers and ride than pound 18 Coors and try to race their buddy on their clapped out F6

Yes and even if they could make some cocaine vape pens like they do for weed! Then you dont have to get the sniffles!

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yes and even if they could make some cocaine vape pens like they do for weed! Then you dont have to get the sniffles!

No more coke boogers, that would really make America Great Again!

3 hours ago, Anler said:

It sure would be cool if you can just run down to the store to pick up an 8 ball. Snowmobiling day and nite!

I hope that doesn't happen......I'd be dead and or dead broke in 3 months  :lol: