Check your account email address ×

Trump says he would have made a 'good general' while trashing Mattis' service and claiming he really fired him.

How can any veteran support a president that publicly insults his top generals?

Trump says he would have made a 'good general' while trashing Mattis' service and claiming he really

Source: Business Insider

Trump says he would have made a 'good general' while trashing Mattis' service and claiming he really fired him 

Ryan Pickrell 17m 

* President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he essentially "fired" former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, criticizing the outgoing defense chief's service, 

* "What's he done for me? How had he done in Afghanistan? Not too good," Trump said at a Wednesday Cabinet meeting.

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he essentially "fired" former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, criticizing the outgoing defense chief's service in the Marine Corps and his two years leading the Defense Department. 

"What's he done for me? How had he done in Afghanistan? Not too good," Trump said at a Cabinet meeting, according to Bloomberg News. "As you know, President Obama fired him, and essentially so did I," he explained to reporters, contradicting an earlier statement. 

"I think I would've been a good general, but who knows," the president, who has not served in the military and sought five deferments to avoid being sent to Vietnam, further remarked. 

Plans for Mattis to step down as the defense secretary were first announced in a presidential tweet that said the revered former Marine general was retiring. 

Read more: https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-says-he-would-have-made-a-good-general-while-trashing-mattis-2019-1 

I generally refuse to consider his insane rants worthy of attention. I want to refuse to think of him as newsworthy, period, unless he quits. This was too egregious to ignore. I hope his Cabinet secretaries remember to wash their hands before they leave the White House. 

Politics 

Trump Trashes Mattis After Exit: 'What's He Done for Me?' 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-02/trump-trashes-mattis-after-exit-asking-what-s-he-done-for-me 

By Toluse Olorunnipa 
January 2, 2019, 1:43 PM EST 

* President says he thinks he would have been a good general 
* Mattis issued searing letter after Trump's Syria decision 

President Donald Trump disparaged just-departed Defense Secretary Jim Mattis at his first Cabinet meeting of the new year, criticizing management of the Afghanistan war and claiming he "essentially" fired the four-star general, who abruptly resigned last month. 

Trump prefaced his comments Wednesday by saying Mattis had personally thanked him for helping secure $716 billion for national security in the current fiscal year. But then he quickly turned. ... "What's he done for me?" Trump said. "How had he done in Afghanistan? Not too good." 

The president -- who was exempted from the draft during the Vietnam War over bone spurs -- added that U.S. generals have done a bad job in Afghanistan over nearly two decades and said that he thinks he "would've been a good general, but who knows." 

Trump spoke during a Cabinet meeting in which Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan took part. Shanahan, speaking earlier, largely limited his comments to discussing the Pentagon's cooperation with the Department of Homeland Security on border issues.
Edited by Mainecat

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mainecat said:

He actually tweeted those remarks but hey your ok with whatever the dictator does

Really?   Just checked his twitter account and seen nothing of the sort?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

"What's he done for me? How had he done in Afghanistan? Not too good," Trump said at a Cabinet meeting, according to Bloomberg News.

9 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

like trump saying those things is hard to believe. :lol:

skidmark welcher you're a piece of work dude...

No shit...I guess he forget that Trump said Tillerson was dumb as a rock and lazy as hell.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

No shit...I guess he forget that Trump said Tillerson was dumb as a rock and lazy as hell.

:lol:   He did actually tweet that.   He sure has a way with words.  :lol:  

21 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

like trump saying those things is hard to believe. :lol:

skidmark welcher you're a piece of work dude...

Totally believable just proving he didn't tweet it.  

I just find the news quoting the news to cover their ass amusing.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Is there anybody trump does like? This is getting ridiculous. 

It’s pathetic. But lucky for him, his diehard fans eat it up and just nod along. Mattis has been funny, since most worshipped him, and he had been so effective. They don’t know whether to jump on the Trump bash wagon or pretend like they don’t have an opinion on it.