Check your account email address ×

Coins

31 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Anyone have a coin collection? Need any Wheaties?

I have a huge jar of them myself. You can buy big bags for pretty cheap. The only way I can see to make money on coins in buy the rare stuff and hang on to it for a while. All the common stuff hasn’t appreciated as much.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Edmo said:

I have a huge jar of them myself. You can buy big bags for pretty cheap. The only way I can see to make money on coins in buy the rare stuff and hang on to it for a while. All the common stuff hasn’t appreciated as much.

No they havnt appreiciated much. I was an avid collector as a kid and they are not worth much more now then then.

48 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Anyone have a coin collection? Need any Wheaties?

I normally only collect old baseball cards (52 Topps mostly) but my father collects money/coins/stamps still occasionally. A site I go on, Net54baseball.com sometimes has some looking/selling coins and the like which might be of some information to you? Like the card industry, things go up and down quite often so timing is everything sometimes if you are looking to sell? http://blog.greysheet.com/do-collectors-still-enjoy-their-wheaties/

WM1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

No they havnt appreiciated much. I was an avid collector as a kid and they are not worth much more now then then.

Check out what a 16-d mercury dime goes for these days. Could have bought nice ones all day long for a hundred bucks when I was a kid.

The rare stuff is where it’s at. 

12 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Like these?

IMG_20190102_121644.jpg

Holy crap! You have a lot of value there even if the dimes are only in fair-good condition.  https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/1472/dimes/mercury/1916-D/ Curious, is there a grading/authentication service for old coins like there is for collector cards and memorabilia?  

PSA 9 Toni Bartirome.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, irv said:

Holy crap! You have a lot of value there even if the dimes are only in fair-good condition.  https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/1472/dimes/mercury/1916-D/ Curious, is there a grading/authentication service for old coins like there is for collector cards and memorabilia?  

PSA 9 Toni Bartirome.jpg

I'm sure there is, probably. What's the worth of those cards?

29 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I'm sure there is, probably. What's the worth of those cards?

Prices vary wildly depending on condition. That Baritrome in a 9 would likely cost you 5G's or more. In a 2-3, likely a 100 hundred? There is a guy who is hoarding them and driving the prices up. Many commons in fair-good condition can be had for around $8-$10 bucks. It's the HOF's cards in great condition that get the most money, just like the rarest coins in great/mint condition. https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguide/baseball-card-values/1952-topps/1129

8 minutes ago, irv said:

Prices vary wildly depending on condition. That Baritrome in a 9 would likely cost you 5G's or more. In a 2-3, likely a 100 hundred? There is a guy who is hoarding them and driving the prices up. Many commons in fair-good condition can be had for around $8-$10 bucks. It's the HOF's cards in great condition that get the most money, just like the rarest coins in great/mint condition. https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguide/baseball-card-values/1952-topps/1129

Wow. That card you have is 5gs? That's awesome! I had to Google the guy, never heard of him. :ashamed:

When I was 9 years old I found an old Roman Coin in the Lake I lived at, parents took it to the Museum in Milwaukee to see if they would purchase it, they said no but would take it for display with my name as the one who donated it, I said no way, I am looking at it right now, they said it was from The time of Jesus, has Cesar on 1 side and  horses pulling a chariot on the other side, they assumed it was a WW1 veterans good luck piece from Europe as I found it at a resort I worked at that used to be cabins and an old Farm owned by WW1 vets, also found an 1881 Indian head penny which I also still have..there still was WW1 vets living near there when I was young, Reuben Bass was 1 of the Vets names that I recall, as a young child we called him "Ape Face" as his face had been disfigured from something in the War.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, irv said:

I normally only collect old baseball cards (52 Topps mostly) but my father collects money/coins/stamps still occasionally. A site I go on, Net54baseball.com sometimes has some looking/selling coins and the like which might be of some information to you? Like the card industry, things go up and down quite often so timing is everything sometimes if you are looking to sell? http://blog.greysheet.com/do-collectors-still-enjoy-their-wheaties/

WM1.jpg

I have signed cards by Henry Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Johnny Logan, Red Schndise, and a few others.

Edited by XCR1250

2 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Wow. That card you have is 5gs? That's awesome! I had to Google the guy, never heard of him. :ashamed:

I wish that was my card! I just found that one on the internet to show the PSA grading case they put the cards in after they are graded. This Mickey Mantle sold for 2.88 million last year. https://blog.psacard.com/2018/04/20/mickey-mantles-baseball-card-sells-for-2-88-million/ To show the wide range of value depending on condition, I'd be lucky to $6 to $7 grand for mine and that is only to do with the fact Mickey Mantle and this card is highly sought after. Other cards in the set, like my Mays and Robinson might only be worth a couple thousand each based on their condition. When you get into some rare pre war cards from the early 1900's, that is where some true value rests but again, it all depends on who the player is? 

MM1.jpg

WM1.jpg

Jackie2.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I have signed cards by Henry Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Johnny Logan, Red Schndise, and a few others.

Can you post them up, XCR? Right now there is a severe disruption in the hobby concerning faked/forged signed cards. Many have been authenticated as real but proven to be fake as hell. It's a shame as this is going to hurt the hobby big time, imo. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262673 The person who found this out only took moments to find, which makes one wonder how PSA, SGC and JSA graded things? 

5 minutes ago, irv said:

Can you post them up, XCR? Right now there is a severe disruption in the hobby concerning faked/forged signed cards. Many have been authenticated as real but proven to be fake as hell. It's a shame as this is going to hurt the hobby big time, imo. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262673 The person who found this out only took moments to find, which makes one wonder how PSA, SGC and JSA graded things? 

My Nephew has them now in the Milwaukee area..I belonged to a Braves club known then as The Braves Knothole club (I still have 2 of the membership cards here) way back in the 1950's, I was able to get into the Locker room area of the Braves Stadium from time to time as my dads youngest brother ran the concessions at the Stadium for many years..that's how I got some players to sign the cards.

Edited by XCR1250
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

i inherited a bunch, pretty sure they are pretty worthless.  i'd someday like to find out but don;t know any local coin guy

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

My Nephew has them now in the Milwaukee area..I belonged to a Braves club known then as The Braves Knothole club (I still have 2 of the membership cards here) way back in the 1950's, I was able to get into the Locker room area of the Braves Stadium from time to time as my dads youngest brother ran the concessions at the Stadium for many years..that's how I got some players to sign the cards.

Nice!! That would have been a great time/experience as a kid! I have been chasing a 1952 Topps Eddie Mathews card for some time now but I am not having much luck. Is there anyway you can post up those membership cards? I'd love to see them as I love old baseball memorabilia and the stories behind them.