Check your account email address ×

Chinese company pays 25% tariff to get US soybeans that the country desperately needs. Upsetting the people of China that are tariffing themselves to eat.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

“China is going to crush us in a trade war.”

”TRADE WAR!!!!!”

well they haven't even begun to hit back yet.

rough count is $300B in tariffs imposed by the US to $80B by china. 

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, frenchy said:

So China doesn’t have much less they can do then?

5 minutes ago, frenchy said:

“Hit back”.  They’ve been “hitting” is for decades.  

We’ll see.  But I think we can hurt them and anyone else needing our consumers and money more than we need theirs.  We still have long fingers that can reach out and scratch anybody they need to.  Let’s see if the world wants to bluff.  My guess, no.

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

“Hit back”.  They’ve been “hitting” is for decades.  

We’ll see.  But I think we can hurt them and anyone else needing our consumers and money more than we need theirs.  We still have long fingers that can reach out and scratch anybody they need to.  Let’s see if the world wants to bluff.  My guess, no.

China holds like $2 Trillion in US Bonds.... :lol: 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

So?  I guess you feel we don’t know that or have already anticipated their possible responses?  We aren’t Canada.

do tell.

Point is they are in a strong position. They could stop buying US treasuries or flood the market which would hurt the US economy drastically. Doubt they'd do that but if this battle keeps going they could easily devalue their currency....

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

do tell.

Point is they are in a strong position. They could stop buying US treasuries or flood the market which would hurt the US economy drastically. Doubt they'd do that but if this battle keeps going they could easily devalue their currency....

Do tell?  Wut?  My speculation against your speculation?  One thing is for sure, we are going to see aren’t we?  Most Americans are tired of us getting the shit end of the stick, and will suck up whatever needs to be done to change it.

You can bet against the US and Trumps admin if you want.  Seems it’s not working out all that well for your leadership up north though.  That’s sad to me.  But, elect stupid leaders, win stupid consequences.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Do tell?  Wut?  My speculation against your speculation?  One thing is for sure, we are going to see aren’t we?  Most Americans are tired of us getting the shit end of the stick, and will suck up whatever needs to be done to change it.

You can bet against the US and Trumps admin if you want.  Seems it’s not working out all that well for your leadership up north though.  That’s sad to me.  But, elect stupid leaders, win stupid consequences.

exactly. which is why any talk of Trump 'winning' this battle so soon is ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

And so is talking about him “losing” it.  

:dunno:

Zam don't pay any attention to anything that midget amphibious bottom feeding Frog FUCK guy posts he is a fucking imbicile :snack: and is a notorious lying sack of shit fuckstick 

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

Zam don't pay any attention to anything that midget amphibious bottom feeding Frog FUCK guy posts he is a fucking imbicile :snack: and is a notorious lying sack of shit fuckstick 

:lol:  Nice names.  Can I put them all together and nominate it?

I actually find newcomers (returners) refreshing.  This place was getting a bit stale.

26 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Momos butthurt again. Shocker. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, frenchy said:

do tell.

China and Russia actually did that years ago when Obama was pushing TPP and putting sanctions on Russia. They both dumped a shitload of US treasuries. Not surprising the fake news didnt pick that up because there is not too many entities that can pick up that kind of scratch. 

27 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Says the biggest liar on the internets! 

:true:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

do tell.

Buying US Treasuries devalues their currency as it makes our dollar stronger compared to their yuan. Not selling. Selling would increase the value of their currency making their exports even more expensive for us causing us to buy less from them which would compound the effects of our tariffs. The real point is, they are stuck with what they have. If we really wanted to hurt them we would not allow them to buy more. That would drive their prices up astronomically.  

A good article on it... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/04/05/chinas-1-point-2-trillion-weapon-that-could-be-used-in-a-us-trade-war.html

Bond selloff also bad for China

President Xi Jinping would have to be mighty angry to dump treasuries in droves, because a sell off would have a negative impact on its own financial affairs. "It's like holding a gun to your own head and saying I have a hostage," says Reinhart.

If China were to sell its bond holdings, it would likely have to sell it at least some of the treasuries it purchased at a loss. If other countries sold, too, and prices plummet then it could lose billions. "It will inflict capital losses on itself," says Reinhart.

The U.S. dollar would also fall, which would then make this trade-related provocation somewhat moot, adds Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics. A lower greenback would make U.S. exports more attractive, which would then hurt China's own export market. "It would negate some of the impact," he says. "Rates might spike, but the dollar would fall and what's the net impact of that? It doesn't feel like it's a winning strategy."

1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Buying US Treasuries devalues their currency as it makes our dollar stronger compared to their yuan. Not selling. Selling would increase the value of their currency making their exports even more expensive for us causing us to buy less from them which would compound the effects of our tariffs. The real point is, they are stuck with what they have. If we really wanted to hurt them we would not allow them to buy more. That would drive their prices up astronomically.  

A good article on it... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/04/05/chinas-1-point-2-trillion-weapon-that-could-be-used-in-a-us-trade-war.html

Bond selloff also bad for China

President Xi Jinping would have to be mighty angry to dump treasuries in droves, because a sell off would have a negative impact on its own financial affairs. "It's like holding a gun to your own head and saying I have a hostage," says Reinhart.

If China were to sell its bond holdings, it would likely have to sell it at least some of the treasuries it purchased at a loss. If other countries sold, too, and prices plummet then it could lose billions. "It will inflict capital losses on itself," says Reinhart.

The U.S. dollar would also fall, which would then make this trade-related provocation somewhat moot, adds Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics. A lower greenback would make U.S. exports more attractive, which would then hurt China's own export market. "It would negate some of the impact," he says. "Rates might spike, but the dollar would fall and what's the net impact of that? It doesn't feel like it's a winning strategy."

I know. Which is why I said I doubt they’d do that. 

It would hurt China too