Check your account email address ×

Wages drop despite economic boom

Source: The Hill

Wages in the U.S. fell over the past year despite an ongoing economic boom, according to data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday. 

In the last 12 months through July, real average hourly earnings dropped 0.4 percent. That figure takes into account seasonal differences, as well as the effects of rising prices. 

An increase in the length of the average workweek was not enough to compensate for the fall, leaving average weekly earnings down 0.1 percent in the same period. Over the past month alone, real hourly wages were flat, while real weekly earnings dropped 0.2 percent. 

The sluggish advance in wages comes amid an economy that, by other measures, is booming. The economy grew at an annualized rate of 4.2 percent in the second quarter, and unemployment dipped below 4 percent in July. The dynamic could prove troublesome for Republicans hoping that a thriving economy will boost them in November's midterm elections. 

Read more: http://thehill.com/policy/finance/401341-wages-drop-despite-economic-boom

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Source: The Hill

Wages in the U.S. fell over the past year despite an ongoing economic boom, according to data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday. 

In the last 12 months through July, real average hourly earnings dropped 0.4 percent. That figure takes into account seasonal differences, as well as the effects of rising prices. 

An increase in the length of the average workweek was not enough to compensate for the fall, leaving average weekly earnings down 0.1 percent in the same period. Over the past month alone, real hourly wages were flat, while real weekly earnings dropped 0.2 percent. 

The sluggish advance in wages comes amid an economy that, by other measures, is booming. The economy grew at an annualized rate of 4.2 percent in the second quarter, and unemployment dipped below 4 percent in July. The dynamic could prove troublesome for Republicans hoping that a thriving economy will boost them in November's midterm elections. 

Read more: http://thehill.com/policy/finance/401341-wages-drop-despite-economic-boom

I've never heard of "the Hill" clicked your link and then checked out their home page...Explains a lot... SMH

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I've never heard of "the Hill" clicked your link and then checked out their home page...Explains a lot... SMH

This is the problem with many here. In the story from the hill there is a link to official government reports on the economy.

Now you won’t see this on any Trump state news sites.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

Edited by Mainecat

Just now, Mainecat said:

This is the problem with many here. In the story from the hill there is a link to official government reports on the economy.

Now you won’t see this on any Trump state news sites.

Oh, I was talking about their home page, not your link, I could care less about that link...

Now, The home page was a site to behold!! Ho Lee Chit, 24/7 Trump hit pieces...Have to laugh if that a place you frequent and get your information from

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Oh, I was talking about their home page, not your link, I could care less about that link...

Now, The home page was a site to behold!! Ho Lee Chit, 24/7 Trump hit pieces...Have to laugh if that a place you frequent and get your information from

Nobody is buying that garbage except the sheep. It validates their trump hate and TDS. The biased media has zero power over most who can actually use their brain. SBYL

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

:lol:

who care if the info is accurate or not says rigid. 

No, I don't care about the info in general, accuracy has nothing to do with it, get your shit straight

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

Nobody is buying that garbage except the sheep. It validates their trump hate and TDS. The biased media has zero power over most who can actually use their brain. SBYL

And the facts.....yeah.....you’re a typical Dumper dumbfuck :lmao: 

Just now, Snoslinger said:

Yeah we know. You only care about pro trump and anti hillary stuff. Duh

But they get their news from top secret sources..... :lmao: 

Just now, Snoslinger said:

Yeah we know. You only care about pro trump and anti hillary stuff. Duh

Not really, well I do not like Hillary one bit..Trump does some dump shit too, but still better than old irrelevant Hillary Clinton

4 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

And the facts.....yeah.....you’re a typical Dumper dumbfuck :lmao: 

The economy is rocking, and everyone is busy af and making money. Your facts are biased and bogus loser. Suck on that.

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

So I took a look at the home page of the hill. Saw a mixture of political stories. Mostly facts, not opinions. So what gives, rigid?

:pc:

Screenshot_20180811-082610.png

Screenshot_20180811-082643.png

Screenshot_20180811-082738.png

Screenshot_20180811-082744.png

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

The economy is rocking, and everyone is busy af and making money. Your facts are biased and bogus loser. Suck on that.

Inflation is outpacing wages......plus you’re short-sided like most Dumper Repugs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/week-trumponomics-enjoy-lasts-170027412.html

This week in Trumponomics: Enjoy it while it lasts

August 10, 2018

The Trump economy continues to earn a B on the Yahoo Finance Trumponomics Report Card, the same grade it has held since March. We updated our numbers following the strong second-quarter GDP report and the jobs numbers for July, and while our grade didn’t change, some forecasters have slightly upgraded their outlook for the rest of the year. The Trump economy, for now, is going strong.

Nonetheless, President Donald Trump continues to threaten his own economic legacy with escalating tariffs that are likely to do more harm than good. This week, the Trump administration finalized tariffs on another $16 billion worth of Chinese imports, bringing the total amount of Chinese merchandise subject to new taxes to around $52 billion. China has imposed tariffs on a like amount of American exports to China. (Here’s our up-to-date scorecard of all the Trump tariffs, plus retaliatory tariffs imposed by trading partners.)

In addition to the expanded China tariffs, Trump piled on Turkey as the country endured a sharp currency selloff that threatened to sink the Turkish economy, and rattled global markets. Trump doubled the steel and aluminum tariffs on imports from Turkey from the 25% and 10% levels he imposed on most such imports earlier this year, to 50% and 20% on Turkish metals. Turkey is the world’s sixth biggest steel producer, sending about $1 billion worth of steel to the United States last year. So Trump’s doubling of tariffs will hurt Turkey, and sharply boost prices of select steel products in the United States.

America’s relationship with Turkey is complicated, and there’s a lot more to Trump’s jab at Turkey than trade policy. Still, tariffs are generally anti-competitive, and they put the government in the position of choosing economic winners and losers, instead of letting the market decide. For that reason, this week’s Trump-o-meter reading is one notch lower than it would be if we were just measuring the status of the underlying economy:

spaceball.gif

Stocks have been buoyant for the past few weeks, with the S&P 500 stock index up around 5.5% since the beginning of July. Strong earnings have largely driven the gains. But earnings season is now over, which means markets will be paying more attention to Trump’s trade wars and geopolitical concerns such as Turkey’s downward spiral.

Economic outlook is promising

Still, the economy is looking good for the rest of the year. Moody’s Analytics recently raised its forecast for annualized GDP growth in the second half of 2018 from 3.3% to 3.6%. Consumer spending and private investment have turned out to be slightly better than expected this year, which should carry the economy into 2019. And recent changes to government methodologies reveal that Americans have been saving more than believed, which means they’re a bit sounder financially than economists thought.

The most immediate risk is Trump and his trade wars. Markets seem comfortable with the current level of new tariffs, but if Trump makes good on his threat to slap tariffs on four to eight times the amount of Chinese imports that he has already, it could be a meaningful hit to growth and a new source of inflation. And economists continue to warn that in 2019 and beyond, clouds could darken as the fiscal stimulus from tax cuts and increased government spending wear off. The message from the Trump-o-meter: Enjoy it while it lasts.

Confidential tip line: rickjnewman@yahoo.comClick here to get Rick’s stories by email

Edited by SnowRider

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

Inflation is outpacing wages......plus you’re short-sided like most Dumper Repugs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/week-trumponomics-enjoy-lasts-170027412.html

Did they do a weekly Obamaonomics hit piece too?? I'd really like to compare them, the language used, the numbers, all that good stuff..I looked and couldn't find it,,, surprising isn't it...

:lol:

so rigid selectively picks some stuff off the page, stuff that is fact btw, and thinks the hill is all anti trump. 

I’ve seen the hill go both ways on politics. The truth of the matter is 1) trump and the gop run DC, so of course they’re going to make headlines 2) you’re paranoid and 3) you don’t like facts 

Just now, Rigid1 said:

Did they do a weekly Obamaonomics hit piece too?? I'd really like to compare them, the language used, the numbers, all that good stuff..I looked and couldn't find it,,, surprising isn't it...

Go for it.  I’d like to see you think and pull your head out of your ass.👍