Check your account email address ×

South Carolina steel plant reopened by UK industrialist, avoiding tariffs

• Platinum Contributing Member

Oops.   Winning.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/south-carolina-steel-plant-reopened-by-uk-industrialist-avoiding-tariffs

British industrialist Sanjeev Gupta’s GFG Industrials on Monday reopened a shuttered South Carolina steel plant in a move that will allow his U.K.-based firm to circumvent the Trump administration’s 25% tariffs on steel imports.

Liberty Steel, a London-based company owned by Gupta’s group, held a relaunch ceremony at Georgetown Steel Mill on Monday. The mill originally closed in 2015 and was acquired by Liberty House in 2017, the Myrtle Beach Sun Newsreported.

Liberty Steel said the facility would employ about 125 workers at launch and more than 300 workers in the “medium term,” according to a press release. GFG Alliance has vowed to invest more than $5 billion in the U.S. within the next few years.

“This is a historic moment in the story of Liberty Steel and GFG,” Gupta said at the ceremony, according to a press release. “It marks our first step into the American market and is as much a milestone for us in the USA as the restart of Liberty Steel Newport after a similar shutdown period was in the UK. That triggered a cascade of major acquisitions, investments and turnaround successes for GFG in the UK. I very much hope and expect that a similar journey has started today for our family in the USA.”

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

Acquired in 2017

This was planned before the tariffs!!!!

Oops

Ya....  trump has been talking about leveling the trade playing field since he won the presidency back in 2016.   The company said this restart is due to the tariffs....  it’s in the first paragraph

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Ya....  trump has been talking about leveling the trade playing field since he won the presidency back in 2016.   The company said this restart is due to the tariffs....  it’s in the first paragraph

And Harley said their move is due to the tariffs

Oops

4 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Acquired in 2017

Oops

Who was POTUS then?   Who was talking getting tough on trade all thru the campaign?   

Oops.  

Yet HD made the decision to move in a few weeks.  :lol:  

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Who was POTUS then?   Who was talking getting tough on trade all thru the campaign?   

Oops.  

Yet HD made the decision to move in a few weeks.  :lol:  

It's smart business on their part. As soon as they saw the tide coming in, they prepared.  As anyone can see, this is a contingency based on Trump's narrative. 

Just now, SmeeAgain said:

It's smart business on their part. As soon as they saw the tide coming in, they prepared.  As anyone can see, this is a contingency based on Trump's narrative. 

Harley was going to move production of European models there with or without the tariffs.  This just gives them a scapegoat.

2 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Or maybe just a reaction by a steel company to a strong economy.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

And a nail company is laying off a couple people cause of the tariff...

oops

Likely true, just like the soybean farmers are taking it in the ass as are cranberry farmers and lobster fishermen and pork producers

28 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Or maybe just a reaction by a steel company to a strong economy.

Possible, but far more likely they can make more money by putting a plant here to avoid the tariffs. 

Likely true, just like the soybean farmers are taking it in the ass as are cranberry farmers and lobster fishermen and pork producers

I spoke to a friend who has a big operation (for here).  They farm about 8000 acres I believe.  I asked him about the Soys.  He said it hasn't impacted them in the slightest as they're still dealing with contracts already written.  New contracts haven't changes according to him. He's not concerned in the slightest.  As a matter of fact: they just tilled up 500 acres of wheat this spring and put in soys because of the higher return even considering the costs of the wheat to begin with.  This was two weeks ago.  I doubt much ahs changed since then.

Edited by SmeeAgain
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Acquired in 2017

Oops

Exactly.  I love how the Trumpsters have inadvertently shot their own argument in the foot as of late and in thread after thread.  They keep reciting the line that it’s a such a marginal increase in material cost and been in effect for too short a duration to effect any negative results.   But look how quickly and bigly it is eliciting positive change. It’s fuckin hilarious.  

3 hours ago, SmeeAgain said:

Possible, but far more likely they can make more money by putting a plant here to avoid the tariffs. 

I spoke to a friend who has a big operation (for here).  They farm about 8000 acres I believe.  I asked him about the Soys.  He said it hasn't impacted them in the slightest as they're still dealing with contracts already written.  New contracts haven't changes according to him. He's not concerned in the slightest.  As a matter of fact: they just tilled up 500 acres of wheat this spring and put in soys because of the higher return even considering the costs of the wheat to begin with.  This was two weeks ago.  I doubt much ahs changed since then.

Not only that but many purchase price protection insurance which definitely covers them on the fall as the prices were set before the tariff talks got going.  

21 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Will this plant provide at least 60 jobs to offset the 60- $10/hr jobs lost from the nail factory?

Only need about 10 steel jobs to offset those :lol: 

51 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Will this plant provide at least 60 jobs to offset the 60- $10/hr jobs lost from the nail factory?

•  

Liberty Steel said the facility would employ about 125 workers at launch and more than 300 workers in the “medium term,” according to a press release.

Edited by Highmark

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/mississippi/articles/2018-06-26/steel-firm-to-invest-more-than-230m-in-mississippi-mill

We have about 2 billion cash on hand and we are going to put the majority of it into US investment this year and next. I was holding out hope they might come up with a board approved way to use our assets in MN but its just not going to happen. 

Edited by f7ben

16 minutes ago, f7ben said:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/mississippi/articles/2018-06-26/steel-firm-to-invest-more-than-230m-in-mississippi-mill

We have about 2 billion cash on hand and we are going to put the majority of it into US investment this year and next. I was holding out hope they might come up with a board approved way to use our assets in MN but its just not going to happen. 

Indiana is where it's at!

2 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Indiana is where it's at!

We spent 400 million purchasing a cold mill in Terra Haute last month and I am sure we will put quite a bit more money into upgrades there. That place is going to be a money maker and we were already selling them a lot of hot band

Edited by f7ben

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

We spent 400 million purchasing a cold mill in Terra Haute last month and I am sure we will put quite a bit more money into upgrades there. That place is going to be a money maker and we were already selling them a lot of hot band

That's awesome man, I can tell by your posts you are pumped..Good for you and your future co-workers making good coin..:bc:

Just now, Rigid1 said:

That's awesome man, I can tell by your posts you are pumped..Good for you and your future co-workers making good coin..:bc:

I love my company ......but I will be moving on from them in the next 6-8 months. I am pretty heartbroken about it. I intended to retire working for them but its not going to happen. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I love my company ......but I will be moving on from them in the next 6-8 months. I am pretty heartbroken about it. I intended to retire working for them but its not going to happen. 

Dang.  That doesn't sound good.  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Dang.  That doesn't sound good.  

On the contrary .......I'm moving home. Wife and kid are moving back permanently end of August and I am going to finish out this year and maybe work a little into next year. Its going to suck driving back and forth for 5-6 months and then finding a new job but I cant live down here anymore.

Just now, BOHICA said:

can't see minnesota being much better then Indiana but there are weird people in this world.

Well its roughly 1000x better in MN and my friends and family are there. Sledding in the winter and the lake in the summer. MN is the best