Check your account email address ×

US Federal Budget Deficit Widened in First 8 Months of Fiscal 2018

Source: Wall Street Journal

Updated June 12, 2018 5:43 p.m. ET 

WASHINGTON--The U.S. government's budget deficit widened in the first eight months of the fiscal year, reflecting lower revenue from corporate taxes combined with ramped-up government spending. 

The deficit, or the difference between the amount of money the federal government spent and what it took in, totaled $532.24 billion in October through May, the Treasury Department said Tuesday. That was 23% more than the deficit of $432.85 billion during the same period a year earlier. 
Tuesday's report showed the federal budget deficit was $146.80 billion in May, 66% wider than the same month a year earlier. Government revenue fell 10% last month compared with a year earlier, while spending grew 11%. 

Corporate income taxes from October through May were about 25% lower than the first eight months of fiscal 2017, pulling down revenue. 

Over the same period, individual income-tax collection rose. Much of this period reflected the months before a tax cut passed in late December took effect. Individual income taxes fell to $92.5 billion in May from $104 billion a year earlier. 

Read more: https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-federal-budget-deficit-widened-in-first-eight-months-of-fiscal-2018-1528826767 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Sweet.   More money in the peoples hands.   Time for govt to learn to spend less.

Don't you worry MC.   Trump is gonna stand his ground on spending the next time around and you will be crying about that too.  

Edited by Highmark

21 minutes ago, oleroule said:

so tax collection rose but there's still a deficit.

i wonder what the problem is?

Go ahead and try to cut spending on anything, the lib heads go flying off.

8 hours ago, Highmark said:

Sweet.   More money in the peoples hands.   Time for govt to learn to spend less.

Don't you worry MC.   Trump is gonna stand his ground on spending the next time around and you will be crying about that too.  

too bad the orange idiot cranked up the spending while cutting taxes

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

he didn't have to give the MIC more

I agree. Cuts across the board. Congress has some blame here as well. Nobody in Washington wants to face the music.

41 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I agree. Cuts across the board. Congress has some blame here as well. Nobody in Washington wants to face the music.

I know, they never want to do the unpopular things that are necessary.  I’m kidding - it was a Democrat that raised taxes and balanced the budget.  A Clinton no less :)  Can’t have any more of that said the deplorables.  

9 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Source: Wall Street Journal

Updated June 12, 2018 5:43 p.m. ET 

WASHINGTON--The U.S. government's budget deficit widened in the first eight months of the fiscal year, reflecting lower revenue from corporate taxes combined with ramped-up government spending. 

The deficit, or the difference between the amount of money the federal government spent and what it took in, totaled $532.24 billion in October through May, the Treasury Department said Tuesday. That was 23% more than the deficit of $432.85 billion during the same period a year earlier. 
Tuesday's report showed the federal budget deficit was $146.80 billion in May, 66% wider than the same month a year earlier. Government revenue fell 10% last month compared with a year earlier, while spending grew 11%. 

Corporate income taxes from October through May were about 25% lower than the first eight months of fiscal 2017, pulling down revenue. 

Over the same period, individual income-tax collection rose. Much of this period reflected the months before a tax cut passed in late December took effect. Individual income taxes fell to $92.5 billion in May from $104 billion a year earlier. 

Read more: https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-federal-budget-deficit-widened-in-first-eight-months-of-fiscal-2018-1528826767 

Am I reading that correctly? Trump is increasing the deficit at a rate 23% higher than when Obama was in power?

He's doing that without fighting two wars and when the economy is booming?

TDS will make Trumpsters think its a good thing

36 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Am I reading that correctly? Trump is increasing the deficit at a rate 23% higher than when Obama was in power?

He's doing that without fighting two wars and when the economy is booming?

TDS will make Trumpsters think its a good thing

No you're not reading it correctly. You are a moron. And you run a business? :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, XC.Morrison said:

I know, they never want to do the unpopular things that are necessary.  I’m kidding - it was a Democrat that raised taxes and balanced the budget.  A Clinton no less :)  Can’t have any more of that said the deplorables.  

Why raise taxes. He should have cut spending and balanced the budget. 

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Why raise taxes. He should have cut spending and balanced the budget. 

You can’t cut taxes. We need that money to study the horned toad and Africa dick washing and a thousand other pork projects. Important stuff you know!!!!!