Check your account email address ×

The AMA strikes again

The American Medical Association lobbied Congress and successfully shut down attempts to implement CDC guidelines to limit opioid prescribing. The drugging of America continues. Yippee!! 

Edited by spin_dry

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The American Medical Association lobbied Congress and successfully shut down attempts to implement CDC guidelines to limit opioid prescribing. The drugging of America continues. Yippee!! 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ahhh yes....our wonderful corrupt payoff driven system at work....awesome.

Somehow I suspect there is even more to this story than this informative in depth discussion.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Somehow I suspect there is even more to this story than this informative in depth discussion.

CDC guidelines had recommended that doctors and ANP’s can only prescribe 3 days of opiate or opioid painkillers per refill. These practice guidelines are inline with research surrounding the habit forming nature of these drugs. It’s really too bad what’s happened to medicine in this country. 

Edited by spin_dry

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ahhh yes....our wonderful corrupt payoff driven system at work....awesome.

Actually doctors can’t receive kick backs from big pharmaco. What they can receive is “reimbursement” from drug companies for “research”. However, Obamacare included the sunshine law. That means you can find what money your or any doctor receives from a drug company. It’s public information. There’s sting penalties if drug companies or doctors fail to report income or reimbursement. 

20 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Actually doctors can’t receive kick backs from big pharmaco. What they can receive is “reimbursement” from drug companies for “research”. However, Obamacare included the sunshine law. That means you can find what money your or any doctor receives from a drug company. It’s public information. There’s sting penalties if drug companies or doctors fail to report income or reimbursement. 

Doctors can benefit from prescribing drugs in other ways.  

Edited by AKIQPilot

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

CDC guidelines had recommended that doctors and ANP’s can only prescribe 3 days of opiate or opioid painkillers per refill. These practice guidelines are inline with research surrounding the habit forming nature of these drugs. It’s really too bad what’s happened to medicine in this country. 

Would these guidelines apply across the board or would there be exceptions for doctors treating chronic pain? 

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Did I say kickbacks? 

The discussion was referring to pharmaceutical companies paying doctors to prescribe. I guess I have no idea where you were going with this. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

It sounds like the "research" can be reporting results of the med back to the company by the doctor that prescribed it. Just another way of "kicking back" money to the doctor from the pharma company.

I learned about this 1st hand when I asked my primary about a med my lung doctor prescribed when I had my PE blood clots last year. I've got great insurance and the med was $135.00 out of pocket when another med that did the same thing would have been $12.00 out of pocket.

Needless to say I don't trust doctors to have my best interest in mind. I'm very weary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

It sounds like the "research" can be reporting results of the med back to the company by the doctor that prescribed it. Just another way of "kicking back" money to the doctor from the pharma company.

I learned about this 1st hand when I asked my primary about a med my lung doctor prescribed when I had my PE blood clots last year. I've got great insurance and the med was $135.00 out of pocket when another med that did the same thing would have been $12.00 out of pocket.

Needless to say I don't trust doctors to have my best interest in mind. I'm very weary.

If you want to check out your doc here’s a link. 

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Would these guidelines apply across the board or would there be exceptions for doctors treating chronic pain? 

They would most absolutely apply to pain clinics. That is the main target. Opiates or opioids are not effective in the treatment of chronic pain because of hyperalgesia. The drugs not only stop working, they over sensitize pain receptors in the brain. Meaning that they make pain worse. Pain clinics is the perfect cottage industry.  

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

What would force doctors to follow guidelines? If they are going to line thier pockets a guideline won't stop them.

Doctors would face possible loss of their license and pharmacies couldn’t fill the script. 

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

They would most absolutely apply to pain clinics. That is the main target. Opiates or opioids are not effective in the treatment of chronic pain because of hyperalgesia. The drugs not only stop working, they over sensitize pain receptors in the brain. Meaning that they make pain worse. Pain clinics is the perfect cottage industry.  

I kind of figured that but wasn't sure...my interest is personal as my wife goes to a pain mangement doctor for RSD/CRPS and we were just discussing this. She is prescribed Norco (among other things) but only takes them when she is having a bad flare.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

14 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The discussion was referring to pharmaceutical companies paying doctors to prescribe. I guess I have no idea where you were going with this 

You have reading comprehension issues. 

17 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

That's because they don't have your best interest in mind, They have theirs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The discussion was referring to pharmaceutical companies paying doctors to prescribe. I guess I have no idea where you were going with this. 

Possibly trips to the carribean from drug distributers to doctors.