Check your account email address ×

This soybean farmer gets it!!!

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

$150 for CRP is fantastic.  We (dad) got some highly rated stuff in for $113, which we thought was excellent.

Neal

Most of those contracts were set when corn was high.   Everyone wanted to plant every single foot they could.  I was pretty naive going into it for the first time.   I had no idea there was a bidding process based off certain factors including type of seed you would plant.   My max came back at $202 so that's what I bid because I knew where prices were.   It was accepted.  First 2 years big portion flooded and put 4 ft of sand in areas because of the backflow.   Had to push it off and reseed.   Decided that was enough and took it out before fixing it up the second time.   Had to pay 2 years back so I took it on the chin on that one.  

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Most of those contracts were set when corn was high.   Everyone wanted to plant every single foot they could.  I was pretty naive going into it for the first time.   I had no idea there was a bidding process based off certain factors including type of seed you would plant.   My max came back at $202 so that's what I bid because I knew where prices were.   It was accepted.  First 2 years big portion flooded and put 4 ft of sand in areas because of the backflow.   Had to push it off and reseed.   Decided that was enough and took it out before fixing it up the second time.   Had to pay 2 years back so I took it on the chin on that one.  

You should have been reimbursed for man hours and seed though.

Neal

4 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I am chill.  :bc:. Being chill doesn't mean that I must remove comment and critique...

I have no intention of doing otherwise.

Yeah, don't worry about the price of soybeans, because you know, it's not like I have some in the bin ready to sell or anything....

It isn't null and void.  That is a bald assertion on your part, and a very ignorant one at that.

Neal

Neal don't you have a day job that net's you almost 6 figures a year?

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Indeed I do.  :bc:

If our farm could financially support me at the same level I would do that only.  However it does not.

Neal

well than quit your bitching and appreciate Trump making America great again.  :snack:  

Edited by Angry ginger

5 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

You should have been reimbursed for man hours and seed though.

Neal

50%.   

19 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Indeed I do.  :bc:

If our farm could financially support me at the same level I would do that only.  However it does not.

Neal

Your dad should have told you by now the same thing all these old timers around here have been telling me for the past 20 some odd years "nothing ever changes, so get used to it".  

Doesn't mean it can't piss you off nonetheless.  

If you're waiting for farming to support you at the same level as your 6 figure job, good luck!  I used to burn the candle at both ends and put all the job money in to the farming and finally said you know what, I don't need new vehicles and new sleds every other year and all kinds of fancy shit.  We drive older cobbled together shit and upgrade equipment where we can almost always used shit.   A body gets used to squeeking by after doin it for a while.   If farmings where you want to be you gotta be able to take a lot less just to be doing what makes you happy. :bc:

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yeah, he's making it worse...  :lol:

Neal

You got any good pheasant hunting around you?  :whistle:

2 minutes ago, hayward said:

Your dad should have told you by now the same thing all these old timers around here have been telling me for the past 20 some odd years "nothing ever changes, so get used to it".  

If you're waiting for farming to support you at the same level as your 6 figure job, good luck!  I used to burn the candle at both ends and put all the job money in to the farming and finally said you know what, I don't need new vehicles and new sleds every other year and all kinds of fancy shit.  We drive older cobbled together shit and upgrade equipment where we can almost always used shit.   A body gets used to squeeking by after doin it for a while.   If farmings where you want to be you gotta be able to take a lot less just to be doing what makes you happy. :bc:

Trust me I know.  We are small potatoes, and have old equipment. 

Going to go more cattle less cash crop.

Neal

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Excellent phesant hunting.  Also smack in a major migratory flyway.  The geese here are insane right now.

:bc:

Neal

Snow's are there?    Thought this weather may have put the brakes on them a bit further south.

3-4 years ago I watched numbers of snow's that most can't imagine fly right by our spread 3 days in a row.   Damn they were tough to get down.   Snow in SD put the brakes on at the Lewis and Clark Res.   We were hunting not far south of them so they would go back and forth every day.   Most frustrating hunt I've ever been on.   Seen well over a million birds and took 1 shot.  :lol:  After 3 days of hearing those constant electronic calls I about shot myself.  

I've done quite a bit of pheasant hunting a ways north of Huron.   Use to hunt mostly private but we lost it when the old guy sold it and the guys bought out like 7-8 years of CRP contract to crop it.   Needless to say I'm doubtful that worked out for them as prices fell not long after.  I think the old man told us he was getting like $45 ave CRP then.    1200 acres of prime CRP and food plots.  $75 a gun per day.   Some days we would limit in 1/2 hour.  Almost unfair.  

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, hayward said:

I watched my Dad dump every cent he made from his contracting business into the farm to keep it afloat.  In the late 80's early 90's, when it came time to decide what I wanted to do, I said eff that.  Mind you, the 80's were the worst times in my lifetime for farming, but looking back, I have no regrets.  I do still miss harvest though.  :bc:  

3 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Well I know you know.  You know everything there is to know....:lol:

You might be on to something with the cattle.  

Moto only buys grass fed, so no sneaking in any gmo grains.  :cop:

1 hour ago, hayward said:

Well I know you know.  You know everything there is to know....:lol:

You might be on to something with the cattle.  

Moto only buys grass fed, so no sneaking in any gmo grains.  :cop:

That's idiotic.  Need the corn finish for fine marbling.

I do know it all!  I'll be damned!  :lol:

Neal

4 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Look at that , months away from any tariffs doing damage and ya already have a plan B. I'm proud of ya.