Check your account email address ×

Vermont Senate passes historic gun reform bill, Governor Scott plans on signing it into law

ckf

MONTPELIER, Vt. - The Vermont Senate passed a historic gun reform bill Friday which includes raising the gun purchasing age to 21 and expanded background checks. After nearly two hours of emotional debate on senate floor, it voted 17-13 in favor of the bill.

The house passed its version earlier this week which included restrictions on high-capacity magazines, ten rounds for longs guns and 15 rounds for handguns. It also bans bump stocks in Vermont.

Controversy surrounding the magazine cap portion of the bill continued right up until the final vote. Limiting rounds will only apply to new purchases, but opponents say a cap will not improve public or school safety and would be difficult to enforce.

"It doesn't help one bit because people who are going to shoot people are criminals, it only effects law abiding citizens,” said Sen. John Rodgers, (D) Essex-Orleans.

"Our efforts would have been much better directed at identifying threats, enhancing security in our schools, improving our mental health system and enforcing what is already on the books," added Sen. Randy Brock, (R) Franklin District.

The bill will now lands on Governor Phil Scott’s desk. The governor told reporters Friday he intends on signing it. The republican had a change of heart on gun reform after a Vermont teen was arrested and accused of plotting a shooting at Fair Haven Union High School.

"What is being passed at this point in time doesn't intrude upon the second amendment, it doesn't take away their guns and I believe that we will get accustom to the new normal which is trying to address this underlying violence that we are seeing across the nation," said Scott.

It could be several days before the governor actually signs the bill, pending a review by legislative counsel.

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Y'all still have constitutional carry up there, right? (No permit to carry concealed)

Correct.

I'm just surprised Governor Scott reversed direction from what he campaigned on :dunno:

11 minutes ago, ckf said:

MONTPELIER, Vt. - The Vermont Senate passed a historic gun reform bill Friday which includes raising the gun purchasing age to 21 and expanded background checks. After nearly two hours of emotional debate on senate floor, it voted 17-13 in favor of the bill.

The house passed its version earlier this week which included restrictions on high-capacity magazines, ten rounds for longs guns and 15 rounds for handguns. It also bans bump stocks in Vermont.

Controversy surrounding the magazine cap portion of the bill continued right up until the final vote. Limiting rounds will only apply to new purchases, but opponents say a cap will not improve public or school safety and would be difficult to enforce.

"It doesn't help one bit because people who are going to shoot people are criminals, it only effects law abiding citizens,” said Sen. John Rodgers, (D) Essex-Orleans.

"Our efforts would have been much better directed at identifying threats, enhancing security in our schools, improving our mental health system and enforcing what is already on the books," added Sen. Randy Brock, (R) Franklin District.

The bill will now lands on Governor Phil Scott’s desk. The governor told reporters Friday he intends on signing it. The republican had a change of heart on gun reform after a Vermont teen was arrested and accused of plotting a shooting at Fair Haven Union High School.

"What is being passed at this point in time doesn't intrude upon the second amendment, it doesn't take away their guns and I believe that we will get accustom to the new normal which is trying to address this underlying violence that we are seeing across the nation," said Scott.

It could be several days before the governor actually signs the bill, pending a review by legislative counsel.

• What are expanding background checks?
  • You can purchase extended magazines for both, how will they know if it was a new vs old purchase?
  • A logical thinking Democrat, I can't believe it! Good for you guys!
  • I agree!
  • Do you think he will go through with signing it?
  • Typical chipping away! Frog in boiling water theory!
  • So you're going to the local shop before this passes? 

Yes I think he will sign it. No need to go to the local gun shop, my father in law owns a small shop and has more guns than I'll ever need in his personal collection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

Correct.

I'm just surprised Governor Scott reversed direction from what he campaigned on :dunno:

Hopefully it's publicity and he's stalling for an injunction or NRA rally or ?? To change something?

Or he got paid! But the Dems are broke, so then who??? :hdchr:

Just now, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Hopefully it's publicity and he's stalling for an injunction or NRA rally or ?? To change something?

Or he got paid! But the Dems are broke, so then who??? :hdchr:

He changed his stance after a Vermont teen was arrested and accused of plotting a shooting at Fair Haven Union High School. This happened right after the Parkland shootings in Florida.

21 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:
  • What are expanding background checks?
  • You can purchase extended magazines for both, how will they know if it was a new vs old purchase?
  • A logical thinking Democrat, I can't believe it! Good for you guys!
  • I agree!
  • Do you think he will go through with signing it?
  • Typical chipping away! Frog in boiling water theory!
  • So you're going to the local shop before this passes? 

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

He changed his stance after a Vermont teen was arrested and accused of plotting a shooting at Fair Haven Union High School. This happened right after the Parkland shootings in Florida.

Just read the article. People are fucked... :bashhead:

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2018/02/27/fair-haven-principal-flagged-teen-accused-shooting-plot/372755002/

Apparently they have a staffed police officer at the school, and in a constitutional carry state. Glad they got a jump on him! This just supports the firearms aren't the problem. Society is coming unglued in our youth. :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

What’s unreasonable about the law?

My only issue is that he backed out on his promise to the residents of VT when he was campaigning.

Just now, Angry ginger said:

not unreasonable,  we require education/testing for all sorts of other things

I've owned guns since I was 10 years old. Should I really need to take a course to buy one?

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I've owned guns since I was 10 years old. Should I really need to take a course to buy one?

Me too. Although I did take a NRA course at that time too, just because. What happens to inherited firearms if say the parent passes away when their child is 20? Makes no sense. Do 16yos with hunting permits then not have the ability to hunt? The list goes on and on... :bashhead:

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

plenty of current gun owners who are unsafe so sure why not.  maybe 2 different course depending on experience.  

Where does it end Jeff? At some point we need to stand on our own and take responsibility for our actions. :dunno:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

not unreasonable,  we require education/testing for all sorts of other things

How about having to pass a test to vote? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1