Check your account email address ×

New York suing big oil for GW

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

What are you basing that on? 

The failure of climate model predictions to date.  

The fact that climate is an incredibly chaotic system that is dynamic and evolving.

The fact that nobody ever seems to point out that things like plunking 20 odd million people in Southern California or 7 million in the Arizona desert wouldn't have a massive effect on how the climate and environment interact.  

Yeah, it's all on the evil oil companies.  

• Gold Member

If new york is sure that fossil fuels produced by these 5 companies are the cause of global warming they obviously has the evidence to prove it.  So in the same context couldnt there be a class action suit against New York for knowingly and willfully using a product that effects the enviroment.  All the state activities such as snow plows, snow removal, road and infrastructure building use a massive amount of fossil fuels.  They have evidence of the harm these items cause but continue to use them is very negligent on the state of New York.  American public need to sue the state of New York.

Edited by BOHICA

27 minutes ago, sledderj said:

The failure of climate model predictions to date.  

The fact that climate is an incredibly chaotic system that is dynamic and evolving.

The fact that nobody ever seems to point out that things like plunking 20 odd million people in Southern California or 7 million in the Arizona desert wouldn't have a massive effect on how the climate and environment interact.  

Yeah, it's all on the evil oil companies.  

You're wasting your breath on the wrong person. I'm skeptical of experts on both sides of the equation. What you regard as being the facts is even lest meaningful to me. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Can you imagine who would be next if they won?   Farmers for producing methane?  Auto companies?   Airlines for contrails?

In the end we will pay for legal fees.   Another govt money grab.  

Edited by Highmark

8 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

The irony of it all is too much... Who are these fucking people and how were they given a shred of power????

It's an interesting lawsuit if you think about it, think along the lines of the tobacco industry lawsuits. NYC is already moving to divest $5B in pension funds from fossil fuel stocks, you know it's interesting that Ole Rex Tillerson and his former employer Mobil/Exxon wanted us to stay in the Paris Agreement, maybe besides knowing that greenhouse gasses are an issue they also anticipated this type of reaction to the presidents decision, thanks Trump.

Make no mistake, big oil is concerned about divestment and these types of lawsuits.

Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio (dih BLAH'-zee-oh) and Comptroller Scott Stringer are set to announce plans on Wednesday to divest the city's five pension funds of roughly $5 billion in fossil fuel investments out of its total of $189 billion.

Clara Vondrich of the DivestInvest campaign says hundreds of institutional investors managing assets of over $5.5 trillion have taken their money out of fossil fuels.

The American Petroleum Institute has previously said the divestment movement is misguided.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-01-10/the-latest-nyc-sues-oil-companies-over-climate-change

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It's an interesting lawsuit if you think about it, think along the lines of the tobacco industry lawsuits. NYC is already moving to divest $5B in pension funds from fossil fuel stocks, you know it's interesting that Ole Rex Tillerson and his former employer Mobil/Exxon wanted us to stay in the Paris Agreement, maybe besides knowing that greenhouse gasses are an issue they also anticipated this type of reaction to the presidents decision, thanks Trump.

Make no mistake, big oil is concerned about divestment and these types of lawsuits.

Even if so called big oil had their own indisputable proof that greenhouse gases caused global warming how would they be responsible?  Booze companies know it kills people in a number of ways are they responsible?

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Even if so called big oil had their own indisputable proof that greenhouse gases caused global warming how would they be responsible?  

How is big tobacco responsible for the ills caused by tobacco products? As I said this lawsuit is interesting and all I can say is stayed tuned.

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

How is big tobacco responsible for the ills caused by tobacco products? As I said this lawsuit is interesting and all I can say is stayed tuned.

Because they knew and intentionally made their product more addictive.   I really don't think they should have been as people have know for decades how addictive and bad for your health tobacco was.  Long before the lawsuits.  Should gun or alcohol companies be responsible for deaths?

Edited by Highmark

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Because they knew and intentionally made their product more addictive.   I really don't think they should have been as people have know for decades how addictive and bad for your health tobacco was.  Long before the lawsuits.  Should gun or alcohol companies be responsible for deaths?

Let's watch and see what happens, and don't forget that this could be one of those unintended consequences because of someone's decision.

Only time will tell :bc: 

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Let's watch and see what happens, and don't forget that this could be one of those unintended consequences because of someone's decision.

True.   In the end I know who will pay.   Us consumers.  

11 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You're wasting your breath on the wrong person. I'm skeptical of experts on both sides of the equation. What you regard as being the facts is even lest meaningful to me. 

Well, you asked me, I answered.  :lol:  

Your thoughts are equally meaningful to me.  Oddly enough, I think we have pretty similar positions on the subject.    

3 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I have no confidence that the judiciary will get it right.  I'm not even sure it's reasonable to expect them to.