Check your account email address ×

Obama signs bill to extend Bush-era tax cuts for two more years

• Platinum Contributing Member

Remember this and who was all for it?  :lol:  Look at the WaPo gloat on how great a bill it was.   Oh and look it had bi-partisan support.  :lol: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/16/AR2010121606200.html

President Obama signed into law the most significant tax bill in nearly a decade Friday, a day after overcoming liberal resistance in Congress to continue for two more years tax breaks enacted under president George W. Bush and to provide a fresh federal boost for the tepid economic recovery.

In remarks before signing the bill, Obama called it "a substantial victory for middle-class families across the country." He added: "They're the ones hardest hit by the recession we've endured. They're the ones who need relief right now."

Obama described the bill as "a package of tax relief that will protect the middle class, that will grow our economy and will create jobs for the American people."

The package, brokered by Obama and Republican leaders in the wake of the November elections, angered many Democrats, who have long argued that the Bush tax cuts were skewed to benefit the wealthy. But their last-minute campaign to scale back the bill's benefits for taxpayers at the highest income levels failed, and the House passed the measure 277 to 148 Thursday night, with 112 Democrats and 36 Republicans voting "no."

Friday's signing ceremony at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building next to the White House was attended by the Senate Republican leader, Mitch McConnell (Ky.), and the No. 2 Senate Democrat, Richard J. Durbin (Ill.). But notably absent were the top Democratic leaders of the House and Senate

The $858 billion package prevents taxes from rising on New Year's Day for virtually every American household. The measure also will guarantee unemployed workers in hard-hit states up to 99 weeks of jobless benefits through the end of next year. And it will create major new incentives for business and consumer spending in 2011, including a two-percentage-point reduction in the Social Security payroll tax that would let workers keep as much as $2,136.

At the signing ceremony, Obama said passage of the law was propelled "by the fact that tax rates for every American were poised to automatically increase on January 1st." If that had happened, "the average middle-class family would have had to pay an extra $3,000 in taxes next year," he said. "That wouldn't have just been a blow to them; it would have been a blow to our economy, just as we're climbing out of a devastating recession."

Obama declared: "I refused to let that happen. And because we acted, it's not going to. In fact, not only will middle-class Americans avoid a tax increase, but tens of millions of Americans will start the new year off right by opening their first paycheck to see that it's actually larger than the one they get right now."

He said he would not have signed the bill if it did not include "other extensions of relief that were also set to expire." Among other provisions, he cited the extensions of unemployment benefits and tuition tax credits, as well as new tax incentives for businesses.

Obama acknowledged that "there are some elements of this legislation that I don't like," and some that congressional Republicans and Democrats don't like. "That's the nature of compromise, yielding on something each of us cares about to move forward on what all of us care about," he said. "And right now, what all of us care about is growing the American economy and creating jobs for the American people."

Asserting that the package would do just that, Obama said: "It's a good deal for the American people. This is progress. And that's what they sent us here to achieve. "

Earlier, the incoming speaker of the House, Rep. John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), called the bill "a good first step" but emphasized the GOP view that major spending cuts are needed. "If we want to . . . begin creating jobs, we need to end the job-killing spending binges" by the federal government and "provide more certainty to business," he told reporters Friday on Capitol Hill.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response from the resident libs... They don't possess the intellectual honesty to admit they've done a complete 180 on this. They're a complete bunch of hacks. 

But like the last paragraph reads.. We need some MAJOR spending cuts now...

1 hour ago, JEFF said:

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response from the resident libs... They don't possess the intellectual honesty to admit they've done a complete 180 on this. They're a complete bunch of hacks. 

But like the last paragraph reads.. We need some MAJOR spending cuts now...

find some cases where there is an exact equivalent, instead of one point out of 3. and save your "we need spending cut" BS now. what a joke :lol:

Edited by Snoslinger

8 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

find some cases where there is an exact equivalent, instead of one point out of 3. and save your "we need spending cut" BS now. what a joke :lol:

Skidmark’s stupidity is mind numbing :lmao:   

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

it really is. Christ is must be damn easy running a business in iowa :lol:one thing I've learned in here, running a business does not require much knowledge of economics, taxes, or many other things. look at some of how these fools think :lmao: 

and fuck the person who asks why I don't start one. I simply have no interest.

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

it really is. Christ is must be damn easy running a business in iowa :lol:one thing I've learned in here, running a business does not require much knowledge of economics, taxes, or many other things. look at some of how these fools think :lmao: 

and fuck the person who asks why I don't start one. I simply have no interest.

Somebody else probably started it and he just has the correct last name......no way he started anything from scratch.

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

Remember this and who was all for it?  :lol:  Look at the WaPo gloat on how great a bill it was.   Oh and look it had bi-partisan support.  :lol: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/16/AR2010121606200.html

President Obama signed into law the most significant tax bill in nearly a decade Friday, a day after overcoming liberal resistance in Congress to continue for two more years tax breaks enacted under president George W. Bush and to provide a fresh federal boost for the tepid economic recovery.

In remarks before signing the bill, Obama called it "a substantial victory for middle-class families across the country." He added: "They're the ones hardest hit by the recession we've endured. They're the ones who need relief right now."

Obama described the bill as "a package of tax relief that will protect the middle class, that will grow our economy and will create jobs for the American people."

The package, brokered by Obama and Republican leaders in the wake of the November elections, angered many Democrats, who have long argued that the Bush tax cuts were skewed to benefit the wealthy. But their last-minute campaign to scale back the bill's benefits for taxpayers at the highest income levels failed, and the House passed the measure 277 to 148 Thursday night, with 112 Democrats and 36 Republicans voting "no."

Friday's signing ceremony at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building next to the White House was attended by the Senate Republican leader, Mitch McConnell (Ky.), and the No. 2 Senate Democrat, Richard J. Durbin (Ill.). But notably absent were the top Democratic leaders of the House and Senate

The $858 billion package prevents taxes from rising on New Year's Day for virtually every American household. The measure also will guarantee unemployed workers in hard-hit states up to 99 weeks of jobless benefits through the end of next year. And it will create major new incentives for business and consumer spending in 2011, including a two-percentage-point reduction in the Social Security payroll tax that would let workers keep as much as $2,136.

At the signing ceremony, Obama said passage of the law was propelled "by the fact that tax rates for every American were poised to automatically increase on January 1st." If that had happened, "the average middle-class family would have had to pay an extra $3,000 in taxes next year," he said. "That wouldn't have just been a blow to them; it would have been a blow to our economy, just as we're climbing out of a devastating recession."

Obama declared: "I refused to let that happen. And because we acted, it's not going to. In fact, not only will middle-class Americans avoid a tax increase, but tens of millions of Americans will start the new year off right by opening their first paycheck to see that it's actually larger than the one they get right now."

He said he would not have signed the bill if it did not include "other extensions of relief that were also set to expire." Among other provisions, he cited the extensions of unemployment benefits and tuition tax credits, as well as new tax incentives for businesses.

Obama acknowledged that "there are some elements of this legislation that I don't like," and some that congressional Republicans and Democrats don't like. "That's the nature of compromise, yielding on something each of us cares about to move forward on what all of us care about," he said. "And right now, what all of us care about is growing the American economy and creating jobs for the American people."

Asserting that the package would do just that, Obama said: "It's a good deal for the American people. This is progress. And that's what they sent us here to achieve. "

Earlier, the incoming speaker of the House, Rep. John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), called the bill "a good first step" but emphasized the GOP view that major spending cuts are needed. "If we want to . . . begin creating jobs, we need to end the job-killing spending binges" by the federal government and "provide more certainty to business," he told reporters Friday on Capitol Hill.

That's the one I was talking about. Weren't the Republicans threatening to close down everything if that wasn't approved?

It was one of many times the Republican held the government to ransom.  

Just now, revkevsdi said:

That's the one I was talking about. Weren't the Republicans threatening to close down everything if that wasn't approved?

It was one of many times the Republican held the government to ransom.  

Huh?   201 Democraps voted for it.  Pretty bipartisan bill.  

But Bush tax cuts were for the wealthy.  :lol:  Same damn thing is going to happen with these tax cuts.  

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

so what were all the similarities between that bill, the economic landscape, of that bill then and now?

I'm tired of learning you today.   I need to go finish up some snowmobile trails.   Until tomorrow skippy. 

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm tired of learning you today.   I need to go finish up some snowmobile trails.   Until tomorrow skippy. 

the only thing you "learned" me today is that you're dumber than previously thought, which was pretty dumb. you can drop a few more rungs though, so keep trying. :bc:

3 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

the only thing you "learned" me today is that you're dumber than previously thought, which was pretty dumb. you can drop a few more rungs though, so keep trying. :bc:

when it comes to dumb, you and blown light bulb boy take the fucking cake:asshole:

5 hours ago, Mainecat said:

So Obama good or bad?

this line says it all..

The package, brokered by Obama and Republican leaders

There is is.! The perfect example  of why Kennedy cheerleaders should shut the fuck up !

Edited by Sleepr2

5 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

I’d say you’re the joke.  Unlike you and your hyper menstruating liberal twat posse I don’t have to walk lockstep with republicans on everything. Spending absolutely has to be cut.

5 hours ago, SnowRider said:

That’s pretty rich coming from the dumbest mouth breathing mother fucker to ever post on this site. You’re in a class by yourself! 

Wire to wire! :pan: