Check your account email address ×

UP riding report.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Went up late Thursday and put on close to 150 each Friday and Saturday.  Mixed bag with some extremely good and some EXTREMELY poor.  Some trails simply should just not be open with the amount of deep mud holes you need to jump.  North of Bergland has tons of snow.   Bruce Crossing south has enough snow but between the type of snow (light lake effect) and amount of traffic desperately need more to cover up the rocks and make the road side shoulders a bit better.  

1 and 13 north from 2 between watersmeet and marinesco are closed and it will be some time before they are open if at all from reports I heard. 

The last 3-5 miles from Wakefield to Bergland on 8 are absolute shit and almost un-passable unless you are a skilled rider.   Deep water/mud holes.   They are trying to get this section moved out to a roadside shoulder.   Its so wet there they are fearful it will not be good all year.   Most creeks and what not are all at flood stage.  8 around Bergland from Hoop to B. Bay Bar is absolute shit too with mud holes.   They are not as wicked as coming over from Wakefield.  Reality is some of these trails should NOT be open.   Gobebic also not rideable yet.  

Edited by Highmark

Yep, early season riding. Trails went from premium to shit in like 4 hours on Saturday in Cadillac. To many yahoos and no base. They tried grooming on Sunday but hard to hide the brown ribbon down the middle. :lol: 

Some spots just need a good system snow with some moisture in it.  3-5" would go a long ways.   Some spots have 3+ feet and honestly not sure if they will be rideable all year because of the water flowing.  Once Gogebic becomes rideable will help the Root Cellar and Gobebic lodge.   Until then those places are kind of fucked.  

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

There was a record amount of rain in the north woods this year. Any trail that goes through swamp areas are going to be a problem all year. 

Good point Willard Scott. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

Went up late Thursday and put on close to 150 each Friday and Saturday.  Mixed bag with some extremely good and some EXTREMELY poor.  Some trails simply should just not be open with the amount of deep mud holes you need to jump.  North of Bergland has tons of snow.   Bruce Crossing south has enough snow but between the type of snow (light lake effect) and amount of traffic desperately need more to cover up the rocks and make the road side shoulders a bit better.  

1 and 13 north from 2 between watersmeet and marinesco are closed and it will be some time before they are open if at all from reports I heard. 

The last 3-5 miles from Wakefield to Bergland on 8 are absolute shit and almost un-passable unless you are a skilled rider.   Deep water/mud holes.   They are trying to get this section moved out to a roadside shoulder.   Its so wet there they are fearful it will not be good all year.   Most creeks and what not are all at flood stage.  8 around Bergland from Hoop to B. Bay Bar is absolute shit too with mud holes.   They are not as wicked as coming over from Wakefield.  Reality is some of these trails should NOT be open.   Gobebic also not rideable yet.  

Great report!!!!!! :thumbsup:

It looks like a big system storm is coming. Lets hope all of wisconsin, The UP and the northern lower get hammered with heavy wet system snow followed by a pile of lake affect

Edited by jtssrx

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Yep, early season riding. Trails went from premium to shit in like 4 hours on Saturday in Cadillac. To many yahoos and no base. They tried grooming on Sunday but hard to hide the brown ribbon down the middle. :lol: 

The trails shouldn't be open yet. They needed another week. people suck!!!

3 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Bullshit....ride those fuckers and please don't tell me you are one of those base police types. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Bullshit....ride those fuckers and please don't tell me you are one of those base police types. :lol:

Not the police but if they Base would get established the season would be better as a hole. Why tear up the trails and your equipment riding on rocks? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Not the police but if they Base would get established the season would be better as a hole. Why tear up the trails and your equipment riding on rocks? 

Because it might not snow again for a month and it's not your equipment so why worry about it? 

Because it might not snow again for a month and it's not your equipment so why worry about it? 

I'm not worried about it. I was just making an observation. My dealer is loving idiots riding on dirt. They make a ton of money fixing shit idiots fuck up. 

There is a reason Wisconsin and Ontario open and close trails.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

I'm not worried about it. I was just making an observation. My dealer is loving idiots riding on dirt. They make a ton of money fixing shit idiots fuck up. 

At least the "idiots" are riding while your spotless sled sits in the garage and you hang out at the dealership laughing...what a putz.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

At least the "idiots" are riding while your spotless sled sits in the garage and you hang out at the dealership laughing...what a putz.

The only putz is you. Look at your self centered attitude. You're attitude prime example of whats wrong with today society. Fuck everyone else as long as I have a good time.  

12 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

The only putz is you. Look at your self centered attitude. You're attitude prime example of whats wrong with today society. Fuck everyone else as long as I have a good time.  

God god you're an idiot. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, jtssrx said:

No sir you are. 

Yeah because people riding on open snowmobile trails before you deem they are ready is a sign of societal ills....guess what I rarely  trails in the first place and second there are a lot of people here that have ridden already and are continuing to do so....are you going to lecture them as well you sanctimonious cunt? 

Yeah because people riding on open snowmobile trails before you deem they are ready is a sign of societal ills....guess what I rarely  trails in the first place and second there are a lot of people here that have ridden already and are continuing to do so....are you going to lecture them as well you sanctimonious cunt? 

Listen dumb fuck I don't care if you ride. I never said I did. I made an observation. You clearly only care about yourself so have it. 

You like to argue. I never said don't ride. I simply said the riding would be better if Michigan only and closed trails like other snowmobile hot beds do

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

22 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

3 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Listen dumb fuck I don't care if you ride. I never said I did. I made an observation. You clearly only care about yourself so have it. 

You like to argue. I never said don't ride. I simply said the riding would be better if Michigan only and closed trails like other snowmobile hot beds do

:lol:

Never sad that but you are the clown that waits for perfect conditions and blames societal ills on those that don't wait. :lol:

Pointing out other states close trails when the conditions aren't good for riding isn't the same as what you just described.