Check your account email address ×

All 4 Living Former Presidents Contradict Trump's Claim That They Support Border Wall

All 4 Living Former Presidents Contradict Trump's Claim That They Support Border Wall

Source: Huff Post

01/07/2019 04:07 pm ET 

Trump falsely boasted that “some of them have told me that we should have done it.” 

All four living former presidents deny telling Donald Trump that they support his long-promised border wall, contradicting the president’s false claim that his predecessors “told me that we should have” built the wall. 

“This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me, and they all know it,” Trump said during a news conference on Friday. “Some of them have told me that we should have done it.” 

On Monday, former President Jimmy Carter joined the three other living former presidents in confirming that Trump lied about the claim. 

“I have not discussed the border wall with President Trump, and do not support him on the issue,” Carter said in a statement through his presidential center. 

Spokesmen for former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush told Politico Friday that neither of them had discussed the border wall with Trump. Former President Barack Obama’s spokesman declined to comment. 

Read more: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/former-presidents-contradict-trump-border-wall-lie_us_5c33b093e4b05d4e96bb06c9 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Secure Fence Act of 2006

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
"H.R. 6061" redirects here. For the star (HD 146254), see List of stars in Scorpius.
Secure Fence Act of 2006
Great Seal of the United States
Long title An Act To establish operational control over the international land and maritime borders of the United States.
Enacted by the 109th United States Congress
Citations
Public law Pub.L. 109–367
Statutes at Large 120 Stat. 2638–2640
Codification
Acts amended Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996
U.S.C. sections amended 8 U.S.C. § 1103, 14 U.S.C. § 637
Legislative history
220px-20061026_-_President_George_W._Bus

President George W. Bush signing the Secure Fence Act of 2006.
220px-US-Mexico_border_fence.jpg

The US-Mexico border fence near El Paso, Texas. The Secure Fence Act of 2006 authorizes the construction of 700 additional miles (1,100 km) of the double chain link and barbed wire fences with light and infrared camera poles.

On October 26, 2006, U.S. President George W. Bush signed the Secure Fence Act of 2006 (Pub.L. 109–367) into law stating, "This bill will help protect the American people. This bill will make our borders more secure. It is an important step toward immigration reform."[1]

The bill was introduced on September 13, 2006, by Congressman Peter T. King, Republican of New York. In the House of Representatives, the Fence Act passed 283–138 on September 14, 2006.[2] On September 29, 2006, the Fence Act passed in the Senate 80–19.

In 2006, Senator Obama Said “Better Fences And Better Security Along Our Borders” Would “Help Stem Some Of The Tide Of Illegal Immigration In This Country.” “ ‘The bill before us will certainly do some good,’ Obama said on the Senate floor in October 2006. He praised the legislation, saying it would provide ‘better fences and better security along our borders’ and would ‘help stem some of the tide of illegal immigration in this country.’” (Annie Linksey, “In 2006, Democrats Were Saying ‘Build That Fence!’” Boston Globe , 1/27/17)

In 2013, All 54 Democrats Voted To Pass The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, And Immigration Modernization Act. (S. 744, Roll Call Vote #168 : Passed 68-32: R 14-32; D 52-0; I 1-0, 6/27/13)

• The Bill Required The Completion “700 Miles Of Pedestrian Fencing Along The Border.” “ Completing 700 miles of pedestrian fencing along the border, which would require approximately 350 new miles of fencing.” (“Immigration Bill Summary,” The Associated Press , 6/28/13)
  • The Bill Allocated Approximately $46 Billion On Border Security Improvements. “Border security spending in the bill totals around $46 billion.” (“Immigration Bill Summary,” The Associated Press , 6/28/13)
  • The Bill Calls For “Doubling The Number Of Border Patrol Agents Stationed Along The U.S.-Mexico Border.” “ Roughly doubling the number of Border Patrol agents stationed along the U.S.-Mexico border, to at least 38,405.” (“Immigration Bill Summary,” The Associated Press , 6/28/13)
  •  

For his part, Clinton is still a little broody. In his autobiography "My Life," published in 2004, he bitterly reflected on another of his brushes with immigration policy. In 1980, when Clinton was governor of Arkansas, the Carter administration told him that some of the Cuba refugees from Mariel would be moved to a detention center in his state. Clinton said he didn't want criminals and mentally ill people housed in Arkansas. Sorry, said the White House, there's no place else to put them.

“We still have a base at Guantánamo, don’t we?" retorted Clinton. "And there must be a gate in the fence that divides it from Cuba. Take them to Guantánamo, open the door, and march them back into Cuba.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article214031789.html

Edited by Highmark

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It says fence Highmark 

:lol:   Is there really that much difference?   The objective is the same.  

I've been to baseball fields all over the country.   Some have a wall, some have a fence.   They serve the same purpose. 

Edited by Highmark

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol:   Is there really that much difference?   The objective is the same.  

I've been to baseball fields all over the country.   Some have a wall, some have a fence.   They serve the same purpose. 

There is a fence.

Even Pence is covering up for Trumps wall statement

Pence: Trump has 'impression' that previous presidents wanted to build wall

Source: The Hill

Vice President Pence on Tuesday said President Trump has been given the "impression" that previous presidents wanted to build a U.S.-Mexico border wall, following claims from Trump that former presidents had told him that they wanted to build a wall. 

Spokespeople for multiple former presidents, including former President Carter, Clinton and George W. Bush, in recent days have publicly denied that they had discussed the prospect of a border wall with Trump. 

Pence did not say that the former presidents made the comments directly, but said that Trump has said that he had gotten the "impression" from former presidents that they wanted the barrier built and said that he has seen video clips of previous presidents "talking about" border security's importance. 

"I know the president has said that that was his impression from previous administrations, previous presidents," Pence said during an interview on NBC's "Today Show" that aired on Tuesday. 

Read more: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/424275-pence-trump-has-impression-previous-presidents-wanted-to-build-wall

13 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

you really will stop at nothing  in your tds . fence wall what the fuck is the diff ? 

Fences are generally easier to breach.  My dog has escaped fenced yards before but has yet to go through a wall.  

If we do build additional fence it should be known as the Pence Fence cause it rhymes.  

Again, remember all those Trump supporters, chanting " build that fence, build that fence, build that fence"!!!!!

And who is going to pay for the fence, " America, America, America,!!!!

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

There is a fence.

Even Pence is covering up for Trumps wall statement

Pence: Trump has 'impression' that previous presidents wanted to build wall

Source: The Hill

Vice President Pence on Tuesday said President Trump has been given the "impression" that previous presidents wanted to build a U.S.-Mexico border wall, following claims from Trump that former presidents had told him that they wanted to build a wall. 

Spokespeople for multiple former presidents, including former President Carter, Clinton and George W. Bush, in recent days have publicly denied that they had discussed the prospect of a border wall with Trump. 

Pence did not say that the former presidents made the comments directly, but said that Trump has said that he had gotten the "impression" from former presidents that they wanted the barrier built and said that he has seen video clips of previous presidents "talking about" border security's importance. 

"I know the president has said that that was his impression from previous administrations, previous presidents," Pence said during an interview on NBC's "Today Show" that aired on Tuesday. 

Read more: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/424275-pence-trump-has-impression-previous-presidents-wanted-to-build-wall

Sure there is a fence in a few places and its worked wonders.   Lets expand it dramatically like the BP wants.  

37 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Fences are generally easier to breach.  My dog has escaped fenced yards before but has yet to go through a wall.  

If we do build additional fence it should be known as the Pence Fence cause it rhymes.  

That's funny , because slinger supports a fence but not a wall. 

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Sure there is a fence in a few places and its worked wonders.   Lets expand it dramatically like the BP wants.  

Ya mean not 1/2 way and then be shocked when people walk around the end of it?

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Ya mean not 1/2 way and then be shocked when people walk around the end of it?

I'm not sure a fence is needed in some of the most rugged area's of the border but I fully support some barrier across the whole thing if needed.  

1 hour ago, 1jkw said:

Again, remember all those Trump supporters, chanting " build that fence, build that fence, build that fence"!!!!!

And who is going to pay for the fence, " America, America, America,!!!!

again just how many illegal border crossers are you ok with ? 

do you think the current system is working ? 

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

again just how many illegal border crossers are you ok with ? 

do you think the current system is working ? 

The point is the {TDS Trump Defense Syndrome} the lying fuck said Mexico would pay for the WALL, he lies about everything involved with the border problem, along with just about everything else he talks about.

With the wall we will still have them, the question is, what is the best way to stop it?  For me, illegals have little to no effect on my life and many of the people who bitch most about feel no ill effects either. There should be no illegal entries.

No, the current system isn't working and the wall will in no way will end the problem.  We need to have the people who are here already illegally, be registered and made legal, that takes care of 2/3's of the problem. More guards on the border, more points of entry staffed to provide legal documents for people entering our country.

1 minute ago, 1jkw said:

The point is the {TDS Trump Defense Syndrome} the lying fuck said Mexico would pay for the WALL, he lies about everything involved with the border problem, along with just about everything else he talks about.

With the wall we will still have them, the question is, what is the best way to stop it?  For me, illegals have little to no effect on my life and many of the people who bitch most about feel no ill effects either. There should be no illegal entries.

No, the current system isn't working and the wall will in no way will end the problem.  We need to have the people who are here already illegally, be registered and made legal, that takes care of 2/3's of the problem. More guards on the border, more points of entry staffed to provide legal documents for people entering our country.

we have made the illegals citizens 2 times in my life . both times with a,promise to fix the prob . guess what making them all legal has,done nothing but make it more appealing for others to follow in there well used path .

further more more guards ok did you know a border agent gets full pension in 20 yrs . and they won't even take you in to training if you are over 30 ? start adding those costs up over the rest of your life .

and you are assuming adminastations in coming years will even fund more staff.  if anything you need more physical structure to get by with less man power .