Check your account email address ×

Interview with a Millenial

02sled

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I started with a paper route when I wasn't even twelve for the fiberal star and did caddying for cheap fuck golfers.:lol:

I (wife) worked for everything we have and will gladly help our son anyway we can.

I didn't include the paper route and delivering catalogues as part of the work history... sounds pretty typical for that time though. I can't recall how old I was when I started. I managed to save enough doing that to buy a Peugeot 10 speed bicycle.

Really looked forward to Christmas time when most of the paper customers would give you a $1 tip for delivering the paper for the year when you came by to collect.

3 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I built my own addition something you can't do :lol:  80k addition for under 10k 

There is no negotiations with builders, they tell you a price then add more at the end - pretty common knowledge.

Or give an outrageous quote, you talk them down - they laugh and say okay 

You're really clueless aren't you.

$80K addition for under $10K :lol::lol2:and you did it yourself... even funnier.

I know you could easily find the time since you only put in an hour or two of work a day.... you wouldn't be overly tired from that.

Sorry Fail... still wrong about what I can do.

Gutted down to the block walls and refinished the basement. Put in a wood burning fire place where the electrical panel used to be. To do that put in a new mast and panel 20 ft down the wall and rewired the house into the new panel. Gutted the kitchen down to the studs on interior walls and the double brick on the exterior walls and redid the kitchen. Built my parents 25 X 40 garage including the concrete work for the slab.

In the past few years have been building a bit of furniture with real wood.

You probably don't even know the difference between the types of hammers.

11 minutes ago, 02sled said:

$80K addition for under $10K :lol::lol2:and you did it yourself... even funnier.

I know you could easily find the time since you only put in an hour or two of work a day.... you wouldn't be overly tired from that.

Gutted down to the block walls and refinished the basement. Put in a wood burning fire place where the electrical panel used to be. To do that put in a new mast and panel 20 ft down the wall and rewired the house into the new panel. Gutted the kitchen down to the studs on interior walls and the double brick on the exterior walls and redid the kitchen. Built my parents 25 X 40 garage including the concrete work for the slab.

way to go little slugger I knew you could do it 

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

I didn't include the paper route and delivering catalogues as part of the work history... sounds pretty typical for that time though. I can't recall how old I was when I started. I managed to save enough doing that to buy a Peugeot 10 speed bicycle.

Really looked forward to Christmas time when most of the paper customers would give you a $1 tip for delivering the paper for the year when you came by to collect.

Just spent the last 1/2 hour with my son changing the oil on the Wrangler Rubicon.  It was his idea.:true:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

You got a thickness planer and a router?:bounce:

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Just spent the last 1/2 hour with my son changing the oil on the Wrangler Rubicon.  It was his idea.:true:

Very cool... you wanna bet it's something you'll likely both remember years from now

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Very cool... you wanna bet it's something you'll likely both remember years from now

His son is lucky to have a father that is mechanically inclined. A lot of blame for the current generation of 'kids' having no skills is placed on the parents that dont have a mechanical background.

Even rudimentary car knowledge might help them down the road. They might know when they're being 'oversold' (putting it nicely) by repair shops or dealers.

Edited by revrnd

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You got a thickness planer and a router?:bounce:

thickness planer, joiner planer, biscuit joiner, drill press, table saw, dado blades, spindle drum sander, plunge router, conventional router, router mounted on a table, compound mitre saw, table scroll saw

4 minutes ago, revrnd said:

His son is lucky to have a father that is mechanically inclined. A lot of blame for the current generation of 'kids' having no skills is placed on the parents that dont have a mechanical background.

Even rudimentary car knowledge might help them down the road. They might know when theyre being 'oversold' (putting it nicely) by repair dhops or dealers.

I'm not real mechanically talented but in my earlier less financially stable years I did my own oil changes, swapped out some basic things like a rad, starter motor and solenoid switch. My brother is the mechanic in the family. He did small engine repairs for about 40 years.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Yup, we spilt some oil on the floor before mom got home.  Priceless.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, 02sled said:

thickness planer, joiner planer, biscuit joiner, drill press, table saw, dado blades, spindle drum sander, plunge router, conventional router, router mounted on a table, compound mitre saw, table scroll saw

Did you just google "list of tools needed to make up stories on the internet"? :lol: 

good collection and it is a JOINTER 

I want a lathe

44 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yup, we spilt some oil on the floor before mom got home.  Priceless.

I don't waste my time with car oil changes, for the 20 bucks it costs extra fuck it 

But will  do a $1200 fuel pump for under $200 I did it myself 

On that note just did hub assembly last week what a fucker that was to do in the driveway, got a new oxy/map torch for the job which was a bonus 

a1auto is your friend if you have time to wait for delivery 

Edited by 1trailmaker

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Even rudimentary car knowledge might help them down the road. They might know when they're being 'oversold' (putting it nicely) by repair shops or dealers.

I think you are either inclined or not 

In-law great dad but can't do shit, a screw seems to be an issue but 1 kid is a do all guy fixes everything - 

I know people they just pay for everything and don't care, large wallet

6 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I think you are either inclined or not 

In-law great dad but can't do shit, a screw seems to be an issue but 1 kid is a do all guy fixes everything - 

I know people they just pay for everything and don't care, large wallet

Cottage country is full of those types, money is no object & the contractors love them.

I'm sure those people would think our cottage on Kushog (owned now by my ex-aunt) would be quaint.

4 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I built my own addition something you can't do :lol:  80k addition for under 10k 

There is no negotiations with builders, they tell you a price then add more at the end - pretty common knowledge.

Or give an outrageous quote, you talk them down - they laugh and say okay 

Ok sure you did.

Post up the plans!  How big is the addition?   What type of walls?  Basement?

So what your telling us is the builder way going to charge you $70,000 in labour?

Or he walked up to house, smelt the dope and said this is that clueless fucker Failmaker on internet we can soak him big time!

Talk about a Failmaker made up bullshit story!  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Ok sure you did.

Post up the plans!  How big is the addition?   What type of walls?  Basement?

So what your telling us is the builder way going to charge you $70,000 in labour?

Or he walked up to house, smelt the dope and said this is that clueless fucker Failmaker on internet we can soak him big time!

Talk about a Failmaker made up bullshit story!  

would you believe me any way :dunno:  how much are additions in your area? 

54 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Cottage country is full of those types, money is no object & the contractors love them.

I'm sure those people would think our cottage on Kushog (owned now by my ex-aunt) would be quaint.

mine would be small as fuck rustic :lol:  small is all I need - although I like the big places sure are nice to visit lol

AC's place is bigger than my house/cottage put together

28 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

mine would be small as fuck rustic :lol:  small is all I need - although I like the big places sure are nice to visit lol

X2

3 bedrooms w/ 2 piece bathroom, no garage heaven forbid. Built in '65

Bloody places on Chandos bigger than our house

7 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

would you believe me any way :dunno:  how much are additions in your area? 

Post up details.

pictures

plans

Lets see what you built for $10,000 that the contractor wanted $80,000!

And as he was such a rip off artist post up his quote.

9 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I don't waste my time with car oil changes, for the 20 bucks it costs extra fuck it 

But will  do a $1200 fuel pump for under $200 I did it myself 

On that note just did hub assembly last week what a fucker that was to do in the driveway, got a new oxy/map torch for the job which was a bonus 

a1auto is your friend if you have time to wait for delivery 

With 4 cars and 10 powersports I don't waste my time with most things these days.  Growing up there was little we didn't do to cars, even body work.  This was more about teaching a kid who shows interest, can't really say no.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

That would be described as "cozy" by the realtors.  Cottage is small, 24x24 not worth an addition, so rebuild as we plan to spend a lot more time up north going forward.  House is 4000-4500 sqft too big, likely downsize in a few years.

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That would be described as "cozy" by the realtors.  Cottage is small, 24x24 not worth an addition, so rebuild as we plan to spend a lot more time up north going forward.  House is 4000-4500 sqft too big, likely downsize in a few years.

Most of those become teardowns around here. It would be terrible if your friends & family knew your cottage was smaller than your house.

On Jack's Lake there is a cottage w/ a pool. They were asking 1.3M for it a few years ago.

5 hours ago, Sksman said:

Post up details.

pictures

plans

Lets see what you built for $10,000 that the contractor wanted $80,000!

And as he was such a rip off artist post up his quote.

how much are additions in your area - I ask again 

first save of money was on Plans - I drafted them and got them stamped

second save of money was engineered beams - amazing what you can find doing your own leg work

third save was the trusses 

How much would it be just to drywall and mud 3 bedrooms and walk in hallway closet? 

How much would it be per receptacle/switch/octagon :dunno: 

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My old guy neighbour sold his place, new owners is nice (hot wife) MPAC showed up to do some evaluation - did you do this extension? no I bought it " as it" - next thing you know the city planning department is there.  No permits were drawn, you need to bring this up to code standards - quoted 100k

He bought a pre-fab 2000sqft for 160k - nice place and entire space is open - trusses were fucking huge lol

Just not worth repairing old shit 

17 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Did you just google "list of tools needed to make up stories on the internet"? :lol: 

good collection and it is a JOINTER 

I want a lathe

Wrong as usual Fail... all part of my collection of tools. Bet you had to look that up.

Edited by 02sled