Check your account email address ×

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Necessity is the mother of invention. Task people with living on other planets and they will overcome obstructions and excel .........we need other places to live. Earth will not be enough in the coming years and given some type of ELE may occur we should have colonies in place ensuring the survival of the species. 

Why is it so critical that the species survive?   I'm not saying its not but at a point one has to think eventually we will die out after all we are just a blip on the scales of time.  

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Why is it so critical that the species survive?   I'm not saying its not but at a point one has to think eventually we will die out after all we are just a blip on the scales of time.  

I dont think its critical at all.....in fact I dont find humans to have many redeeming qualities. But our self preservation instinct is strong and I suspect if you were to poll a million people 99% of them would want the species to survive an ELE

10 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

So is it or is it not critical we survive?

Neal

Not critical.   Why is it?  There won't be anyone around to worry about it.  :lol:  I'm not saying I don't want the human race to survive but where the resources are put to ensure that must have a balance.  

Lots of species go extinct.  I look at it this way.   If there is a God and that's a big if, he/she/it will protect the species for a long time into the future if we are deserving.   If there isn't a God then we are not all that more significant other than to ourselves than any other species that went the way of the Dodo.  

I'm much more inclined to use resources for protecting Earth than wasting them on living on naturally unsustainable planets or moons and especially wasting them on trying to reach planets that we can only make far reaching guesses that are inhabitable and take thousands and thousands of years to reach.   

I'm all for researching perpetual energy/motion or anything else that would be needed for those types of projects as long as their was a benefit to mankind here.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not critical.   Why is it?  There won't be anyone around to worry about it.  :lol:  I'm not saying I don't want the human race to survive but where the resources are put to ensure that must have a balance.  

Lots of species go extinct.  I look at it this way.   If there is a God and that's a big if, he/she/it will protect the species for a long time into the future if we are deserving.   If there isn't a God then we are not all that more significant other than to ourselves than any other species that went the way of the Dodo.  

I'm much more inclined to use resources for protecting Earth than wasting them on living on naturally unsustainable planets or moons and especially wasting them on trying to reach planets that we can only make far reaching guesses that are inhabitable and take thousands and thousands of years to reach.   

I'm all for researching perpetual energy/motion or anything else that would be needed for those types of projects as long as their was a benefit to mankind here.

I don't think (at present) it is either.

Why would God protect us but not the Dodo?

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

I don't think (at present) it is either.

Why would God protect us but not the Dodo?

Neal

:lol:   I'm not about to get into another final drive ratio type debate with you on this.   If you are religious at all you already know.   If you're not do the research yourself.  I think you just look for arguments.    

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol:   I'm not about to get into another final drive ratio type debate with you on this.   If you are religious at all you already know.   If you're not do the research yourself.  I think you just look for arguments.    

I look for discussion and what others believe, not specifically arguments.

Neal

9 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I look for discussion and what others believe, not specifically arguments.

Neal

If and again that's a big if there is a god I feel we would be a chosen species because of our consciousness.  

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

Other animals have consciousness depending on how exacting in the definition one goes.

Neal

:lol:  Here we go.   Thanks for playing.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...