Check your account email address ×

Hey IceWoman .....looky here

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Very very nice plane for sure but you may be a little off on the value.  Those appear to be EDO 3500 Amphibs.  A perfect set of EDO 3500 Amphibs with all the 185 rigging are worth about $20-$25k.  A brand spanking new set of composite Aerocet 3400 Amphibs with 185 rigging are $79k.  There is no finer set of floats on the planet than the Aerocets.  

That is a very nice late model C185. From the picture I can tell it has the 300HP Continental motor, it has the 3525# gross weight increase, WingX extensions, Hartzell prop and decent radios.  Depending on the hours TT and SMOH/SNEW that plane is worth between $175,000 and $225,000 with the floats and wheels.  Obviously log books and Total Time could bring that price down a little but my guess is it's valued somewhere around $200k as seen in the pictures.

That is still a very nice, bad ass airplane.  Considered the F250 of the air.  Everyone with $5million in the bank should have one of those sitting in front of his lakehouse. :bc: 

I'm not going to claim to be a plane expert but what I do know is it has oversized whipline amphibious floats - one or two sizes larger than are typically on a 185.  Straight off their website they are $90,00 - $97.000 installed plus the majority of the plane was re-skinned, new paint, reupholstered,  overhauled, and all new top of the line electronics.  The only number I've heard him disclose is he has $125,000 in the floats - seems reasonable with paint included - and the plane is worth a nice upper middle class home.  

The only pic of the floats I have on land.  Last year during EAA we landed at the airport and the front starboard tire went flat.  In the meantime we are on the tarmac while they replaced it and several WWII planes were doing flyovers. 

image1.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

23 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

I'm not going to claim to be a plane expert but what I do know is it has oversized whipline amphibious floats - one or two sizes larger than are typically on a 185.  Straight off their website they are $90,00 - $97.000 installed plus the majority of the plane was re-skinned, new paint, reupholstered,  overhauled, and all new top of the line electronics.  The only number I've heard him disclose is he has $125,000 in the floats - seems reasonable with paint included - and the plane is worth a nice upper middle class home.  

The only pic of the floats I have on land.  Last year during EAA we landed at the airport and the front starboard tire went flat.  In the meantime we are on the tarmac while they replaced it and several WWII planes were doing flyovers. 

image1.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

It's a super nice plane for sure.  And you are right, brand new Wipline 3450's are over $100k installed. :bc: 

7 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I've only seen the Full Lotus floats on experimentals, not sure if they are STC'd for General Aviation aircraft.  I don't think that matters to Ben being he is wanting an EXP anyway.  

No I don't think the Full Lotus are STC'd...I was more curious if you'd seen them in operation and what your thoughts were on them.

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

No I don't think the Full Lotus are STC'd...I was more curious if you'd seen them in operation and what your thoughts were on them.

No I haven't seen them in operation.  There aren't a huge number of experimentals up here.  Cubs and C185's dominate the sky here.  Obviously the cub knock offs (predominantly Cub Crafters) are popular too.  Quite a few Beavers too.  

One of my neighbors has a Murphy Moose with the 360HP Russian Radial in it.  It's a pretty solid plane.  A 185 on Steroids is what we call them.

You can build one of these for about $200k.

9b13d6b46a39ad478e296d48dce8fef0.jpg

10 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

No I haven't seen them in operation.  There aren't a huge number of experimentals up here.  Cubs and C185's dominate the sky here.  Obviously the cub knock offs (predominantly Cub Crafters) are popular too.  Quite a few Beavers too.  

One of my neighbors has a Murphy Moose with the 360HP Russian Radial in it.  It's a pretty solid plane.  A 185 on Steroids is what we call them.

Very nice.  That's the M14-P radial correct?

There's a Murphy Moose at the local airport here but I believe it has an IO-540 in it.  Very nice plane, but it does look better with a round engine hanging on the front.

Why the Canadian Reg?

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

Very nice.  That's the M14-P radial correct?

There's a Murphy Moose at the local airport here but I believe it has an IO-540 in it.  Very nice plane, but it does look better with a round engine hanging on the front.

Why the Canadian Reg?

Yes, M14-P.  That was a file photo from Google.  I don't have a picture of my neighbors Moose.  When you google image the Murphy Moose the majority of images that show up are Canadian registered aircraft.  Obviously very popular there.  You Canadians must like to collude with Russians quite a bit.

Here is one bad ass T-Moose.  Turbine Powered.  Lighter than a 185 and 450HP, 1.5 times the HP of a stock 185.  This would be an incredible plane to fly.

tmoose.jpg

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yes, M14-P.  That was a file photo from Google.  I don't have a picture of my neighbors Moose.  When you google image the Murphy Moose the majority of images that show up are Canadian registered aircraft.  Obviously very popular there.  You Canadians must like to collude with Russians quite a bit.

Here is one bad ass T-Moose.  Turbine Powered.  Lighter than a 185 and 450HP, 1.5 times the HP of a stock 185.  This would be an incredible plane to fly.

tmoose.jpg

That's a beauty 

On 7/16/2017 at 7:59 PM, f7ben said:

Ever heard of Burt Rutan??? I've been more or less obsessed with the idea of an LSA seaplane for the last month or so. Not sure why , I've been reading and gobbling up everything I can get my eyes on. There are so many cool planes coming to market in the LSA class. The MVP Aero model 3 has my interest and is being built in Maine by a team based out of Duluth MN....

Then I stumbled on to the Skigull , Burt Rutans last plane ......it is such a fucking amazing concept. If you havent looked into it dig in..... 

I hate flying but I cant get my mind off of getting my LSA license and owning a small sea plane......I wonder if I could survive inevitable f7ben pushing the limits learning curve :lol: 

http://lookingupwayup.com/2016/02/01/skigull-first-flight/

Benny, if you're gonna get into flying, which I would suugest you dont, don't go the experimental route. Go with a Cessna and take it serious. One of my best friends, who was an oral surgeon but didn't know a wing nut from a flywheel bolt built to experimentals. He was probably the most talented, smatest guy I ever knew but his mechanical skills were suspect.  Anyway, he took flying very seriously but still managed to crash his planes 3 times. Last time in '11 he crashed his Lancair and didn't make it. He was a speed freak like most of us but something went wrong mechanically and he drilled in. If you're gonna get a plane, you got to be committed.

On 7/16/2017 at 10:53 PM, Sal Rosenberg said:

Let's face it , attempting to defy mother Earths Gravitational Pull for sustained periods is probly not something our fearless hero , Ben should be considering .  :bc:

:bc:

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Thats a stout looking machine.

27 minutes ago, s pump said:

Benny, if you're gonna get into flying, which I would suugest you dont, don't go the experimental route. Go with a Cessna and take it serious. One of my best friends, who was an oral surgeon but didn't know a wing nut from a flywheel bolt built to experimentals. He was probably the most talented, smatest guy I ever knew but his mechanical skills were suspect.  Anyway, he took flying very seriously but still managed to crash his planes 3 times. Last time in '11 he crashed his Lancair and didn't make it. He was a speed freak like most of us but something went wrong mechanically and he drilled in. If you're gonna get a plane, you got to be committed.

:bc:

Thats a stout looking machine.

A Lancair is a serious machine, but don't blame the plane or experimentals in general.  There was a reason they called V-tail Bonanzas "doctor killers" back in the day and it wasn't because there was something inherently wrong with them.  They were a fairly high performance airplane and many doctors just don't fly enough to stay current and keep their skills honed.  It's a case of having more money than ability in many cases.  The vast majority of accidents are caused by pilot error. 

Sorry about your friend

6 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

A Lancair is a serious machine, but don't blame the plane or experimentals in general.  There was a reason they called V-tail Bonanzas "doctor killers" back in the day and it wasn't because there was something inherently wrong with them.  They were a fairly high performance airplane and many doctors just don't fly enough to stay current and keep their skills honed.  It's a case of having more money than ability in many cases.  The vast majority of accidents are caused by pilot error. 

Sorry about your friend

I think he has a point about self construction and maintenance though. I make mechanical mistakes all the time.....I dont want to make one with a plane. 2 of my best friends are certified A&P's and I could get my inspections and yearly's done by them I think if I bought a factory built plane.

2 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Sorry about your friend

Yah, agreed. A buddy's Dad who was a test pilot for Boeing and a fueling tanker pilot always told me when it came up, that civilian pilots really don't have the time to be good pilots in comparison to those who were trained in the service and had 100's more hours.  My Dad had a bunch of guys he rode with when he came back from Korea. One of them opened an Indian Motorcycle dealership and eventually a Cessna dealership with a small feild runway right next to it. All of the guys he rode Harleys and Indians with eventually got into flying except my Dad and his buddy that owned the dealership. Long story short, 3 of the 5 guys that got into flying ended up drilling in. I would love an aircraft, probably a Robison 44 if I had to chose but I know i am not detail oriented enough to fly safely. Besides, I can't afford the upkeep. I'll settle for a boat for now. 

2 minutes ago, s pump said:

Yah, agreed. A buddy's Dad who was a test pilot for Boeing and a fueling tanker pilot always told me when it came up, that civilian pilots really don't have the time to be good pilots in comparison to those who were trained in the service and had 100's more hours.  My Dad had a bunch of guys he rode with when he came back from Korea. One of them opened an Indian Motorcycle dealership and eventually a Cessna dealership with a small feild runway right next to it. All of the guys he rode Harleys and Indians with eventually got into flying except my Dad and his buddy that owned the dealership. Long story short, 3 of the 5 guys that got into flying ended up drilling in. I would love an aircraft, probably a Robison 44 if I had to chose but I know i am not detail oriented enough to fly safely. Besides, I can't afford the upkeep. I'll settle for a boat for now. 

and with your sense of direction you'd try to fly to jackman and end up in siberia.  Still waiting for you to post the pics when you go out one weekend in the baot and end up in jersey cause you took a wrong turn.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I think he has a point about self construction and maintenance though. I make mechanical mistakes all the time.....I dont want to make one with a plane. 2 of my best friends are certified A&P's and I could get my inspections and yearly's done by them I think if I bought a factory built plane.

This is the plane my buddy had. Awesome plane, cruised at 230 topped out almost 300. He ripped it all over the country alll the time. If you are looking for real, go with a Cessna 185 or something similar. Lots of them around and weak points and hazards are well known.  Can get them for decent money. If you do get one, I won't ride with you though. Maybe just get a Piper Cub, you can take off in the back yard and when you crash it you can stall it out around 25 mph and bail it into the puckerbush without a helmet.

http://lancair.com/320-360/

Edited by s pump

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

and with your sense of direction you'd try to fly to jackman and end up in siberia.  Still waiting for you to post the pics when you go out one weekend in the baot and end up in jersey cause you took a wrong turn.    

I might, if I miss the turn at Moosehead, I might end up in Hudson Bay.

1 minute ago, s pump said:

This is the plane my buddy had. Awesome plane, cruised at 230 topped out almost 300. He ripped it all over the country alll the time. If you are looking for real, go with a Cessna 185 or something similar. Lots of them around and weak points and hazards are well known.  Can get them for decent money. If you do get one, I won't ride with you though. Maybe just get a Piper Cub, you can take off in the back yard and when you crash it you can stall it out around 25 mph and bail it into the puckerbush without a helmet.

http://lancair.com/320-360/

That is an awesome plane there.....not what I'm after. My goals would revolve around being able to get in and out of the small lake where our family cabin is and also cost. I wont be able to afford a 185 and I dont want to try. Having 200k in a plane and then having to insure it and hanger it and maintain it isnt feasible for me.

Something like a Jabiru J-250 though is. Say 60k for a very nice example , it will do everything I am after and more. I can keep it at the lake out of the water on floats and covered. Insurance and maintenance are a fraction of a 185 etc etc. I wouldnt be looking to make long cross country flights. Just get into the air and explore the 10's of thousands of lakes within 2-300 miles of northern MN. Stall speed under 50mph and seemingly easy to fly. Also I'm not interested in Instrument Certification....just Visual conditions 

Again , I'm just pipe dreaming and spit balling here .....I appreciate your input and stories

Image result for jabiru j-250

I really like this plane , it is a 4 seater Fuselage by design and it has been made a 2 seater to meet LSA rules. It has a 3rd door and massive luggage area. Its also certifed gross at 1540 lbs as a 4 seater so flying at 1440 gross on floats would still be well under the planes design rating which is nice. It will cruise right at 138mph at 75% throttle and is very economical consuming about 5gph or around there. 

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That is an awesome plane there.....not what I'm after. My goals would revolve around being able to get in and out of the small lake where our family cabin is and also cost. I wont be able to afford a 185 and I dont want to try. Having 200k in a plane and then having to insure it and hanger it and maintain it isnt feasible for me.

Something like a Jabiru J-250 though is. Say 60k for a very nice example , it will do everything I am after and more. I can keep it at the lake out of the water on floats and covered. Insurance and maintenance are a fraction of a 185 etc etc. I wouldnt be looking to make long cross country flights. Just get into the air and explore the 10's of thousands of lakes within 2-300 miles of northern MN. Stall speed under 50mph and seemingly easy to fly. Also I'm not interested in Instrument Certification....just Visual conditions 

Again , I'm just pipe dreaming and spit balling here .....I appreciate your input and stories

Have you considered needle point or church related activities?

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Image result for jabiru j-250

I really like this plane , it is a 4 seater Fuselage by design and it has been made a 2 seater to meet LSA rules. It has a 3rd door and massive luggage area. Its also certifed gross at 1540 lbs as a 4 seater so flying at 1440 gross on floats would still be well under the planes design rating which is nice. It will cruise right at 138mph at 75% throttle and is very economical consuming about 5gph or around there. 

Do you think a 1/2 keg of Chrome Coors would fit back there?

1 minute ago, s pump said:

Have you considered needle point or church related activities?

I did , I stabbed myself with the needle the first time and had to go to hospital......that weekend my pant leg started on fire as I entered the church I was attending so I backed out on that also :lol: 

Just now, s pump said:

Do you think a 1/2 keg of Chrome Coors would fit back there?

Yes , It could fit 2 kegs although that would put me overweight depending on my passenger. Also there is nobody to pull you over in the air for DRINKING AND FLYING !!!!!!!!1111111

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I did , I stabbed myself with the needle the first time and had to go to hospital......that weekend my pant leg started on fire as I entered the church I was attending so I backed out on that also :lol: 

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes , It could fit 2 kegs although that would put me overweight depending on my passenger. Also there is nobody to pull you over in the air for DRINKING AND FLYING !!!!!!!!1111111

Zaklee

35 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Self construction is not an issue if you have your A&P buddies check your work.  Having them inspect your plane yearly isn't a bad idea with you helping them no matter which route you go. 

31 minutes ago, s pump said:

It's not even the total number of hours, it's the hours in the type you are flying and your recency- how much have you flown lately.

A bunch of high time ex military pilots are flying Nieuport replicas across Canada right now to commemorate WWI and Vimy Ridge.  I read in a newspaper article that one pilot was quoted as never having flown a biplane before, and likely had no tailwheel time either.  Long story short, these are basically ultralights and they started with 5 planes.  They've groundlooped and destroyed a couple and are now down to 2 and they aren't even out of Ontario yet.

:lol:

Edited by ICEMAN!