Check your account email address ×

The state of Canada

• Platinum Contributing Member

The unemployment rate at 6.1%, which is up from the previous month and I believe will continue to rise. I think it was 5.7 last summer.

But 6.1 is nothing alarming here. I don't believe its ever been below 5.5 in my lifetime. I remember in a high school class, in the early 80's, talking about the unemployment rate and how it will never be under 5% because 5% of the population is unemployable.

I'm trying to hire a labourer right now and unless I want one that struggles to speak english, I will likely have to hire a student then hope to replace him at the end of August. I was hoping there would be more regular people looking for jobs this year...lol

Resume count is way up over previous years  but that just means more crap to sift through.

Posted (edited)

Quick google search.

https://financialpost.com/news/economy/canadas-unemployment-rate-declines-to-lowest-in-four-decades

Canada’s unemployment rate plunged to the lowest in more than 40 years, suddenly raising the odds of a Bank of Canada rate hike this month.

The jobless rate fell to 5.7 per cent in December, Statistics Canada said Friday in Ottawa, the lowest in the current data series that begins in 1976. The number of jobs rose by 78,600, beating expectations and bringing the full-year employment gain to 422,500. That’s the best annual increase since 2002.

That was late 2017. Of course in 2020 unemployment rose to 9.7% because people jumped on the Covid train and got paid to stay home. High rates of unemployed and none of them looking for work.

Advertisement 2

Story continues below

Edited by Blackstar

50 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Unemployment only counts people who are collecting UI, not those who are actually looking for work.

True.

So why is the Canadian Unemployment rate always higher than the U.S.?

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

True.

So why is the Canadian Unemployment rate always higher than the U.S.?

Cause the US is doing better.

Maybe this has something to do with it since about 2015.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Cause the US is doing better.

Maybe this has something to do with it since about 2015.

Ok, what ever.

If you look at the unemployment rate for Canada and America over the last 50-60 years, Canada has always been higher.

I'm sure in your head that's Trudeau's fault.

I did a quick google search and the answer I get is that America has more jobs in manufacturing than Canada. Those jobs can be filled by anybody. Wages in Canada grew faster through the 70's, 80's, and 90's (partial due to an increase in unions). Canada lost manufacturing to low labour rate countries and those who stayed brought in automation faster to lower their need for labour.

This leads back to what I was told years ago. 5% of the population in Canada is unemployable because we have a higher standard of skills required even for entry level work.

Edited by Blackstar

51 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Ok, what ever.

If you look at the unemployment rate for Canada and America over the last 50-60 years, Canada has always been higher.

I'm sure in your head that's Trudeau's fault.

I did a quick google search and the answer I get is that America has more jobs in manufacturing than Canada. Those jobs can be filled by anybody. Wages in Canada grew faster through the 70's, 80's, and 90's (partial due to an increase in unions). Canada lost manufacturing to low labour rate countries and those who stayed brought in automation faster to lower their need for labour.

This leads back to what I was told years ago. 5% of the population in Canada is unemployable because we have a higher standard of skills required even for entry level work.

If you were the ceo of a global manufacturing company, name one reason to come to Canada?

Since 2015 Trudeau has increased the federal government size by over 50% and that doesn't include all the other dedicated public sector contractors.  Trudeau didn't create the problem, but he certainly is making it far worse.

As for Canada's higher skill set, what skill does one need exactly to be a public sector employee?

11 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

You and those like you are a big reason not to.

Looks like the separation is complete with these kinds of statements