Check your account email address ×

NYC councilmembers tout new law against unlicensed cannabis as ‘game changer’

• Platinum Contributing Member

New York City councilmembers are calling a new law that fines landlords leasing space to illegal weed shops a “game changer.” It’s in response to what members called an “explosion” of unlicensed smoke shops opening up across the city.

“We have an obligation to protect a healthy, legal cannabis market and to ensure that the industry meets its equity goals,” said Councilmember Carlina Rivera, who represents Lower Manhattan, while speaking outside Union Square Travel Agency Cannabis, a legal dispensary on East 13th Street.

The city is home to an estimated 2,000 illegal cannabis shops. Councilmembers say they hope this law will make it easier to shut them down than previously under the 2017 “nuisance abatement” law which was used to remove adult retail stores from Times Square.

“They prevent licensed sellers like this one here from opening legitimate business,” said Councilmember Lynn Schulman who sponsored the new law. “They rob the city of much-needed tax revenue to pay for essential programs and services.”

Licensed dispensaries up here are highway robbery. 1 gram of hash is $20+ from a legal place, I can get much better quality from an unlicensed place for $5-7 per gram and zero tax, free shipping. No brainer.

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

Licensed dispensaries up here are highway robbery. 1 gram of hash is $20+ from a legal place, I can get much better quality from an unlicensed place for $5-7 per gram and zero tax, free shipping. No brainer.

shops in mass have been at it for a while. prices have come down dramatically. tax still high but on lesser amounts. i have seen 8ths for 18.00 with a tiered discount system. you buy 8 of those 8ths and it gets cheaper

2 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

shops in mass have been at it for a while. prices have come down dramatically. tax still high but on lesser amounts. i have seen 8ths for 18.00 with a tiered discount system. you buy 8 of those 8ths and it gets cheaper

We haven't gotten to a tiered system yet for pricing. Shittiest drug dealers I've encountered :lol:

2 hours ago, HSR said:

Dang near every other place on the reserve near me has a weed shop.

These are not hidden black market places. They have huge advertising at the road with some pretty good marketing.

High Supply, The Pot Stop etc.

$40 an oz, vs the government crap at $100 minimum.

There were a bunch of politicians and their friends, that were stupid enough to think they'd get rich on weed and invested heavy.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/the-ex-cops-politicians-and-friends-of-bill-blair-cashing-in-on-legal-weed/

The Liberal government is trying to find a way to fleece the taxpayer and make their buddies whole,  without making it obvious.

Cunts

1 minute ago, Voodoo said:

Dang near every other place on the reserve near me has a weed shop.

The Rez about 90 miles from me has one. My buddy told me they are the funniest dealers he ever met and he's in his 60's. Says he leaves there just crying from laughter. Makes me want to go buy something just to see what he's talking about:lol: