Check your account email address ×

Outboard water pump (impeller)

Yesterday I changed the impeller on my fishing boat...when the impeller cover went on and I torqued to 60 inch pounds..The cover isn't flat the 4 corners are fully seated and there is a slight belly in the middle. There is an o ring to seal it...Do I need to disassemble and get another cover?...

Should I lube the cover so the impeller seats easier. 

Any advice is appreciated before I put it back on the dock.

SkisNH

5 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

As long as it sealed it's ok, lube is not needed but if you wish to lube it use Quicksilver 2-4-C.

If I put a feeler gauge what kind of gap is acceptable? How will I know if it's sealed, If it pisses strong?

Thanks for helping. 

6 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

If I put a feeler gauge what kind of gap is acceptable? How will I know if it's sealed, If it pisses strong?

Thanks for helping. 

Pretty hard to tell if it's perfectly sealed when all assembled other that like you said by watching the water coming out while running.

Don't believe there's a feeler gage tolerance.

Which engine is it?

9 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Pretty hard to tell if it's perfectly sealed when all assembled other that like you said by watching the water coming out while running.

Don't believe there's a feeler gage tolerance.

Which engine is it?

2001 mercury 25EL 2 stroke 

• Platinum Contributing Member

I just did the rebuild kit on my Yammi outboard. It had the cover, impeller, impeller cup, o-ring etc, everything, so I did it all while I had the lower unit apart. I just put a bit of Dawn dish soap on the impeller and cup area for initial start up lube. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, XCR1250 said:

You can.

Have time for the latest problem? 

The water pump works 👍 Now I have a fuel problem. When I did the pump I changed the fuel filter and the 2 hoses on the filter.  It starts and idles fine but it doesn't hold prime...underway the motor will run out of fuel if I don't squeeze ball a little. The ball seems to prime and get hard...but within 30 yards it starts to sputter and die unless I give it a squeeze. I cleaned the carb when I bought the boat and it ran fine other than a weak pisser....which is why I changed the impeller. 

Any thoughts? Air leak on the suction side of the filter? I checked for leaks (nothing) 

Thanks in advance 

SkisNH 

37 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

The water pump works 👍 Now I have a fuel problem. When I did the pump I changed the fuel filter and the 2 hoses on the filter.  It starts and idles fine but it doesn't hold prime...underway the motor will run out of fuel if I don't squeeze ball a little. The ball seems to prime and get hard...but within 30 yards it starts to sputter and die unless I give it a squeeze. I cleaned the carb when I bought the boat and it ran fine other than a weak pisser....which is why I changed the impeller. 

Any thoughts? Air leak on the suction side of the filter? I checked for leaks (nothing) 

Thanks in advance 

SkisNH 

check that you don't have a kinked fuel line or fuel tank vent on the supply side.  I've seen a pinched fuel tank vent do that (after sucking in the tank sides like that imploded sub)

2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Thanks in advance 

SkisNH 

Check the fuel filter for direction of flow some have a check valve built into them.

24 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

Check the fuel filter for direction of flow some have a check valve built into them.

It has one port 90 deg pointed down and one horizontal...no way I could screw them up. (Sober)

But thanks for trying to help...this purchase has been infuriating.  When I bought it I heard it run on muffs. Much different than in the lake. Had a bad coil...had the wrong carb base gasket..plugs wires were original and would short to the block periodically.  Timing was off 10 degrees and lastly the prop is 2 big and it won't reach proper rpms...thank God I got it at a fair deal or smoke would be coming out my ears. 

• Like 1