Check your account email address ×

Another Drone Hyper-lapse....

What rules are there for flying them?  My son works at a survey place where they use drones a lot, and he said the FAA owns the air space 3' above the ground...

3 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

What rules are there for flying them?  My son works at a survey place where they use drones a lot, and he said the FAA owns the air space 3' above the ground...

Yes, the FAA controls the airspace and not the landowner. Landowners can prohibite taking off and landing from their property, but can't stop you from flying over their property. There are certain areas around airports and certain spots venues and such that flight is either restricted, require that you notify the tower or require a wavier from the FAA.  The nice thing with DJI drones is those areas are clearly marked and you can't fly in those areas unless you unlock them.

34 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes, the FAA controls the airspace and not the landowner. Landowners can prohibite taking off and landing from their property, but can't stop you from flying over their property. There are certain areas around airports and certain spots venues and such that flight is either restricted, require that you notify the tower or require a wavier from the FAA.  The nice thing with DJI drones is those areas are clearly marked and you can't fly in those areas unless you unlock them.

So do you have to apply to fly one?  What is a DJI drone?  I guess a better question is what are you using?

17 hours ago, ckf said:

I was hoping for a little more color. One of these times I will get what I have been waiting for, lol

How far above the water can you fly before you start getting rotor wash/spray from the water??

3 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

So do you have to apply to fly one?  What is a DJI drone?  I guess a better question is what are you using?

For recreational use it depends on the drone. Anything under 250 grams doesn't require anything. That's like the DJI (brand)  Mini series. The rest of the DJI lineup only needs to be registered. I think it's like $10.

I currently have the DJI Mavic 3 classic. I upgraded from the DJI Air2S. I think that the Mini 2se is a good starting point.  The only thing with the smaller drones is that they don't handle the wind as well as the ones that are a little bigger.  The more that you spend, the more features. The 2se doesn't have any obstacle avoidance. My Air2S has forwarded, down and backwards obstacle avoidance. My new Mavic 3 has up, down, forward and side to side obstacle avoidance. In theory it shouldn't run into anything while going in any direction. However small tree branches without leaves, power lines and other small objects aren't picked up. 

Drones have become very user friendly.

https://amzn.to/3Mkgf8j

1 hour ago, 1jkw said:

So who regulates the ones under water?

Sink one Drone and still hearing about it :lol:

1 hour ago, Jerry 976 said:

How far above the water can you fly before you start getting rotor wash/spray from the water??

All I can tell you is that they sink fast if you impact the water :ashamed:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ckf said:

For recreational use it depends on the drone. Anything under 250 grams doesn't require anything. That's like the DJI (brand)  Mini series. The rest of the DJI lineup only needs to be registered. I think it's like $10.

I currently have the DJI Mavic 3 classic. I upgraded from the DJI Air2S. I think that the Mini 2se is a good starting point.  The only thing with the smaller drones is that they don't handle the wind as well as the ones that are a little bigger.  The more that you spend, the more features. The 2se doesn't have any obstacle avoidance. My Air2S has forwarded, down and backwards obstacle avoidance. My new Mavic 3 has up, down, forward and side to side obstacle avoidance. In theory it shouldn't run into anything while going in any direction. However small tree branches without leaves, power lines and other small objects aren't picked up. 

Drones have become very user friendly.

https://amzn.to/3Mkgf8j

Sink one Drone and still hearing about it :lol:

All I can tell you is that they sink fast if you impact the water :ashamed:

I think the same goes for sinking a sled or dropping a boat on the road.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

So let's hear that story 

It was my 1st drone and wasn't all that experienced at the time. I was flying over a pond and slowly lowering the altitude. A guy can up to me and started asking all kinds of questions. I lost track of the drone and it went down, lol.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

It was my 1st drone and wasn't all that experienced at the time. I was flying over a pond and slowly lowering the altitude. A guy can up to me and started asking all kinds of questions. I lost track of the drone and it went down, lol.

LOL.  I'd buy a fleet cheap sacrificial drones to start.

Guy I use to with work quite to work for subcontractor flying drones.  They worked with public service to check out the high voltage powerlines

43 minutes ago, Doug said:

LOL.  I'd buy a fleet cheap sacrificial drones to start.

Guy I use to with work quite to work for subcontractor flying drones.  They worked with public service to check out the high voltage powerlines

They have gotten a lot better since my 1st drone. They almost fly themselves, lol