Check your account email address ×

Veterans Day - All gave Some and Some Gave All

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Very sad.

His son became a military pilot, and is now retired from the airlines.

His dad was a very precise, very disciplined man. Every aspect of his home was dress right dress. The lawn, the shrubbery, the paint... everything had to be perfect. Even his obit used the words 'pristine home and farm'.

One of my cousins came back from Nam in a bad way... was never right afterwards. He died a short time ago, but to everyone's surprise he actually spent the last few years of his life married and living a fairly normal life in Florida.

Guess you just never can tell how different people end up.

So yeah, I play up my military service.... it is a family legacy of sorts, and I am proud as hell of it.

• Like 2

My two best friends were both Vietnam vets. I met both during a pretty dark period in my life. One was a crew chief on Huey. He started to lose his hearing and developed tinnitus because of the effect that the tail rotor gear drive had on him. The other was in demolitions. He suffered severe headaches, blackouts, short term memory loss. Both eventually took their lives. One of their deaths was classified as a motorcycle accident and the other a self inflicted gunshot. I knew better on the motor cycle accident. I lived with one of them for about 6 months. I came home one night and there was blood all over the kitchen. Ceiling, walls, stove, fridge. I didn't know what had happened. I found out later that night that he had killed his new puppy. The puppy pissed on the carpet and he lost his shit with the pup. Basically he went into a rage blackout. It was all pretty fucking dark. He was the one that eventually shot himself. He was just too far down the tunnel. Either he was going to take out himself or he'd be the guy on the clock tower. I really miss both of them. 

• Gold Member

i always have watched alot of ww2 docs but never really watched much on the first world war.

pretty dam crazy.

65 million soldiers, 50 billion bullets, 3 million dead from diesease not even battle injuries from fighting, average lifespan for pilots was 11 days, enough barb wire was used that it could go around the world 120 times, etc etc etc .

staggering numbers and scale..hard to even wrap your head around really and absorb just how big and brutal that was.

least we forget.

Edited by ZR800efi