Check your account email address ×

2023 Polaris Snow check options ?

Doug

It will be interesting what the snow check options are and what we'll see for price increases for 2023.  One item I've noticed already is Polaris posting a 3 year warranty -vs- the normal 4 year warranty.  Ski-doo went to a 3 year warranty I think 2 years ago.  For the hell of it emailed Polaris customer service asking the question and they gave me the bla-bla non-answer and to wait and see when the 2023 snow check program is announced February 28th

I went with the 4 year warranty even though I don't keep my sleds for more than 2 years it gave me better value when I sold/traded the sled.  Normally put on 3000-4000 miles per year.   

Eliminating a year of warranty is putting more money into their shareholders' pockets ... that's how I see it.  Granted, the warranty coverage after the first year is farmed out anyway, but it's still gotta cost Polaris $$$ to offer it even if it's not a factory warranty.  For as aggressive as they had been, with wanting to try and catch SkiDoo (and trust me, they really felt like it was within their grasp a few years ago), it looks like the folks from Roseau (or Medina, really) are conceding it's never going to happen & turning Snow Check into something less enticing.

Edited by Bontz

I know some loyal Polaris riders myself included that will have a lot more questions this year on the direction they are going to go on the next purchase.  Yes Covid played a roll with all manufacturers.  Not all the issues were Covid related and other manufacturers did a better job supporting their customers.

I didn't get my XCR until February.  When my wife went along she rode our VR1 and between friends and a dealer I do some work for was able to spend more time on other brand sleds than I normally do.  Seeing that the warranty appears to be changing this puts another brand on more of an even playing field for what I'm looking for.

Have they announced a 2023 showing and/or demo schedule yet?  I know it’s a logistical nightmare, but I don’t understand how any potential buyer can make an informed decision without a test ride.

Any warranty comes out of the consumer’s pocket.  However, in this case they’re reducing the warranty period, thus reducing the cost.  Did they do that to minimize the inevitable 23 price increase, or to pad the bottom line?  I have no idea.  As a stock holder, as well as a consumer, I feel ambivalent about that.

Couple guys I ride with snow checked new Ski-Doo which is they currently ride.  MSRP was about 2K above last year(2022) $400.00 freight/setup charge and 2 year warranty. Monday will be interesting with what Polaris comes with.

I’m guessing at least a 10% bump in pricing. I think the new engine was already on its way (obviously) and probably uses a lot of the same components as the current 850 does so it’s not that big of a deal to release this year. 

From what I saw, SD had just as big of an issue getting snow checks out. Hell, where’s Cat with their 600cc orders? I work in the automotive field so I saw this whole deal coming a year ago. There will probably be less spring orders for next year and that’s about it. Prices being what they already are just solidify that my 2009 RMK may forever be the last brand new sled I’ve ever bought. I’ve been looking at getting rid of my 2015 RMK all year but the smart move still is to just keep it and update it if necessary. Everything I look at to replace it with is either beat or obscenely priced still. 

21 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I’m guessing at least a 10% bump in pricing. I think the new engine was already on its way (obviously) and probably uses a lot of the same components as the current 850 does so it’s not that big of a deal to release this year. 

From what I saw, SD had just as big of an issue getting snow checks out. Hell, where’s Cat with their 600cc orders? I work in the automotive field so I saw this whole deal coming a year ago. There will probably be less spring orders for next year and that’s about it. Prices being what they already are just solidify that my 2009 RMK may forever be the last brand new sled I’ve ever bought. I’ve been looking at getting rid of my 2015 RMK all year but the smart move still is to just keep it and update it if necessary. Everything I look at to replace it with is either beat or obscenely priced still. 

If Polaris is smart, they'll actually learn from the 2022 Snow Check debacle and put a limit on orders.  And yes, I know they DID ultimately scale back towards the end of the program last Spring (on XCR's anyway) ... but they would be better suited to put a hard number out there on Day #1.  Anyone who doesn't get their order in?  Sorry, ya snooze ya lose and have nobody to blame but yourself.  As far as pricing goes, it'll be interesting to see how the 1 less year of warranty that's being rumored will fit into the price model but I agree with @SayatodaU.P.eh? and suspect the MSRP will be at least 10% more across the board.  I initially was thinking 15% but envisioning a MSRP of $15.8K go to $18.1K seems ridiculous, even for Polaris.

11 hours ago, Bontz said:

If Polaris is smart, they'll actually learn from the 2022 Snow Check debacle and put a limit on orders.  And yes, I know they DID ultimately scale back towards the end of the program last Spring (on XCR's anyway) ... but they would be better suited to put a hard number out there on Day #1.  Anyone who doesn't get their order in?  Sorry, ya snooze ya lose and have nobody to blame but yourself.  As far as pricing goes, it'll be interesting to see how the 1 less year of warranty that's being rumored will fit into the price model but I agree with @SayatodaU.P.eh? and suspect the MSRP will be at least 10% more across the board.  I initially was thinking 15% but envisioning a MSRP of $15.8K go to $18.1K seems ridiculous, even for Polaris.

Boost sleds were limited. Then people bought multiples and sold them for inflated prices. I would assume that they will have some build limits again too. 

14 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Boost sleds were limited. Then people bought multiples and sold them for inflated prices. I would assume that they will have some build limits again too. 

Limited builds are not what they use to be.  They use to introduce a mid year sled as a limited build that was then collectable.  Normally they were a little above what the following year full production was was.  Times have changed along with the current supply chain situation.  In stead of a limited performance/production number sled it's supply chain parts available.