Check your account email address ×

Look for opinions on swapping IQ's

Tomas.

I currently have a 2008 dragon switchback 700. It has an aftermarket front bumper so it isn't the garbage factory plastic one and a 144"X2" track on it.

I came across what looks to be a really nice shape 2010 800 dragon switchback for a really good price. 

With moving to the 2010, I would get the narrow front end and seating position but also the more "potentially" unreliable 800.

I was thinking about buying the 2010, swapping my track onto it and selling my 2008 700 for more money than I would be into the 2010 for. 

Is it worth the hassle or just stay away from the 800?

4 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I currently have a 2008 dragon switchback 700. It has an aftermarket front bumper so it isn't the garbage factory plastic one and a 144"X2" track on it.

I came across what looks to be a really nice shape 2010 800 dragon switchback for a really good price. 

With moving to the 2010, I would get the narrow front end and seating position but also the more "potentially" unreliable 800.

I was thinking about buying the 2010, swapping my track onto it and selling my 2008 700 for more money than I would be into the 2010 for. 

Is it worth the hassle or just stay away from the 800?

Unless you are willing to replace pistons as maintenance around 2,000 miles, no. The 09 and 2010 800 are the worst of the worst. Its just a bad engine. 

Im not a Polaris hater, I own 3 Polaris 800's. And Im replacing pistons on my Axys right now, with 2,000 miles on it. The engine was not in immediate danger, but the piston to cylinder wall clearance was getting pretty excessive. Even so, one cylinder only had 2% leak down, the other at 4%. And this is a 2018, probably the best 800 they've built. Polaris has done a good job at making bandaids on the newer 800's, but its a bad design and 09-10 didnt have any bandaids. 

Piston would suck but it would take me a couple of years to get anywhere near 2000 miles. 

I used to have a 2010 600 dragon switchback and it was way nicer to drive because of the updated ergos. This 08 sucks in comparison.

I will get more information on it hopefully tomorrow. If it has really low kms, I might make the 2 hour drive to look at it.

With our current market in Alberta, my 08 would sell for $1000+ more than they are asking for the 2010.