Check your account email address ×

Is It Time For Drug Sniffing Dogs To Retire???

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

heard it from somewhere awhile ago  that average cost to train a drugs sniffing dog is around 100 grand each dog, thats insane. 

It's gvmt, what do you expect. Private sector can prolly do it for $10k

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Weird.  Last trip, wife and I both noticed the complete absence of dogs at the airports.  Not sure why. 

Maybe wasting time grabbing those carrying a bit of pot/coke/whatever is just stupid.  I think we've all seen about enough of this court and jail clogging program.  It's an idiotic government shakedown for cash and property.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Maybe wasting time grabbing those carrying a bit of pot/coke/whatever is just stupid.  I think we've all seen about enough of this court and jail clogging program.  It's an idiotic government shakedown for cash and property.

Right.  I don’t think it is much of an issue like it used to be.  So many people leaving Michigan with the smell of weed on them it was probably driving the dogs crazy. :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

heard it from somewhere awhile ago  that average cost to train a drugs sniffing dog is around 100 grand each dog, thats insane. 

Not sure how it is done now . But my mom's boyfriend was a st Paul k9 cop for 20 yrs . The cops trained there own dogs . So I guess if you add all the hours it is prob ez over  100k over the life of the dog .he has been retired for 15 or more yrs so don't know what they do now 

4 hours ago, Cold War said:

Weird.  Last trip, wife and I both noticed the complete absence of dogs at the airports.  Not sure why. 

I got stoped at lax like 3 yrs ago at gate security and they just took the 2 cartridges I had on me and tossed in the bucket that they prob divide up as shift change . Not even a stern warning just a you can't fly with that sir .