Check your account email address ×

Poll: Biden approval falls to all-time low as Americans turn against his handling of Afghanistan withdrawal

3 hours ago, Phenom said:

I’m going to get personal here, your mileage may vary. I just did not trust Trump. I felt he was too cozy with big business and I took it that the rich would get richer and the working class as far as wages would stagnate. I am a middle class earner. His tax plan caused my taxes to go up by more than just a couple percent when I filed. His tax plan cut the legs out from under my itemized deductions. But like I sad, I’m only speaking for myself. 

A MarketWatch analysis of IRS statistics — which shows tax-filing figures through late November 2019 — revealed:

• Americans had $1.552 trillion in tax liabilities last year, compared with $1.619 trillion in total tax liabilities at the same point a year prior. That’s a drop of 4% on a year-over-year basis.

• The double-digit percentage decreases in average tax liability started with a 12.5% drop for people making $15,000 to $20,000 a year. Double-digit percentage reductions in liability continued for people making $25,000 to $30,000 (down 11.2%) through $100,000 to $200,000 (down 10.96%).

• Taxpayers making between $40,000 and $50,000 a year had the largest fall in average tax liability, a 14.5% drop, while high-end households making between $250,000 and $500,000 had the second largest decrease, with a 14.4% liability reduction.

• Taxpayers making at least $1 million had a 4.3% decrease in average tax liability.

Across income groups, most Americans got a tax cut under the 2017 law, according to the independent Tax Policy Center.

N

3 hours ago, Phenom said:

I’m going to get personal here, your mileage may vary. I just did not trust Trump. I felt he was too cozy with big business and I took it that the rich would get richer and the working class as far as wages would stagnate. I am a middle class earner. His tax plan caused my taxes to go up by more than just a couple percent when I filed. His tax plan cut the legs out from under my itemized deductions. But like I sad, I’m only speaking for myself. 

you would be a small minority then of those who paid more.    SUper high tax property tax states with big mortgages was about the only place that was happening.  

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

you would be a small minority then of those who paid more.    SUper high tax property tax states with big mortgages was about the only place that was happening.  

Those two items, mortgage interest and property taxes are both in my category. I structured my debt to take advantage of those write offs since I’m older and have no dependents. 

There are other sir circumstances affecting my next major decision, but in a nutshell I’m selling my larger than now needed house in the higher rent district (high property taxes) for a smaller home in an area with lower property tax rates. This is not a boo hoo cry me a river situation, I’m actually really excited about the change. The only drawback is I will be farther from family, especially grandkids. 

5 hours ago, Phenom said:

Biden was 'cozy' with corrupt countries.... but that is nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phenom said:

Those two items, mortgage interest and property taxes are both in my category. I structured my debt to take advantage of those write offs since I’m older and have no dependents. 

There are other sir circumstances affecting my next major decision, but in a nutshell I’m selling my larger than now needed house in the higher rent district (high property taxes) for a smaller home in an area with lower property tax rates. This is not a boo hoo cry me a river situation, I’m actually really excited about the change. The only drawback is I will be farther from family, especially grandkids. 

i pay 10k in property taxes and still was better off with the standard deduction as I don't have a big mortgage.   but i have dependents so the 24k worked fine.  for me the one spot that cost me money was unreimbursed business expenses.  we pay about half for our sales guys but they need to spend money to make money and can't write that off anymore.  

33 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i pay 10k in property taxes and still was better off with the standard deduction as I don't have a big mortgage.   but i have dependents so the 24k worked fine.  for me the one spot that cost me money was unreimbursed business expenses.  we pay about half for our sales guys but they need to spend money to make money and can't write that off anymore.  

Like I said, I was citing my personal circumstances. Others may be in different and I don’t begrudge them from voting what is in their best interest. 

But I do stand by that Afghanistan will be a minuscule issue for the vast majority of voters come election time. Voters vote for what they believe is in the best interest of their pocketbook or wallet.