Check your account email address ×

Lyme Disease in Dogs

11 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I was religious with the heartworm meds until I started reading into the condition. Not only is the condition rare, the preventive meds are only marginally effective. I stopped giving both of dogs the med. I’m finding a great deal of misinformation given by some vets. 

Same here. I've found that most vets push pills and unneeded vacations on people. Lot's of them try to upsell everything they can. My parents fall for this all the time. Their dogs always seem to have human ailments.  anxiety, allergies, pay to have teeth cleaned etc.

21 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Same here. I've found that most vets push pills and unneeded vacations on people. Lot's of them try to upsell everything they can. My parents fall for this all the time. Their dogs always seem to have human ailments.  anxiety, allergies, pay to have teeth cleaned etc.

Yeah, I don’t like being pressured or shamed into spending needles money on my dog .  I found a new vet after my longtime vet almost let my puppy die.  They were patronizing to me , when I knew something was wrong with the dog.  They were making out like I was some kind of a nervous nelly. 
New vet got her healthy and saved her from dying, but he still likes to push things like this ridiculous expensive dog food he said she had to have for life. 

I just found a tick on Izzy for the 1st time in the 8 years that we've lived here. Now we have to decide if we want to poison our dog to keep the ticks at bay

46 minutes ago, ckf said:

I just found a tick on Izzy for the 1st time in the 8 years that we've lived here. Now we have to decide if we want to poison our dog to keep the ticks at bay

this new dog we have picked 4-5 off of so far.  using a collar bu they keep attaching it will something different.  

• Like 1

Mu 8lb’r has had a Colesto all of his 12yrs. Few few if any ticks.

3 weeks or so  my wife heard about the Colesto issues and took it off him.

12 or so ticks in a few days end of last week ! Holy shit ! Collar back on Saturday and no ticks yet.

As a note: we live in the woods and when even walking down our dirt roads he walks off the side if them, and pees/poops in the woods, lololol.

So his collar really works ! I’m open for safer methods if anyone has one.

Edit in: person from another forum who lives kinda near you Snacks, wife works for a vet and uses for her dogs and suggests Credelio. 

Edited by CFM
  • Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, CFM said:

Mu 8lb’r has had a Colesto all of his 12yrs. Few few if any ticks.

3 weeks or so  my wife heard about the Colesto issues and took it off him.

12 or so ticks in a few days end of last week ! Holy shit ! Collar back on Saturday and no ticks yet.

As a note: we live in the woods and when even walking down our dirt roads he walks off the side if them, and pees/poops in the woods, lololol.

So his collar really works ! I’m open for safer methods if anyone has one.

Edit in: person from another forum who lives kinda near you Snacks, wife works for a vet and uses for her dogs and suggests Credelio. 

Good info and thanks. We live in town so not much risk there  and I’m going to avoid the woods until Winter...we’ll just go to the dunes and Lake Michigan. Our vet gave us Vectra liquid for fleas and ticks so we’ll how it goes.👍🏼

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Good info and thanks. We live in town so not much risk there  and I’m going to avoid the woods until Winter...we’ll just go to the dunes and Lake Michigan. Our vet gave us Vectra liquid for fleas and ticks so we’ll how it goes.👍🏼

I used vectra for probably 8-9 yrs on my lab. It worked awesome. No ticks ever.

We started using it after he got a tick borne disease, anaplasmosis. We camp in the northwoods and I had used another preventative that was useless, picked 36 ticks off a black pup in one day.

IDK if the stuff was bad long term or not, but he got some form of blood cancer and we had to put him down recently. Absolutely no clue if the stuff helped him get cancer or not, but cancer is common in labs, well many dogs actually. He did live to almost 12 and was very healthy until right at the end. 

Take it for what its worth.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Legend said:

I used vectra for probably 8-9 yrs on my lab. It worked awesome. No ticks ever.

We started using it after he got a tick borne disease, anaplasmosis. We camp in the northwoods and I had used another preventative that was useless, picked 36 ticks off a black pup in one day.

IDK if the stuff was bad long term or not, but he got some form of blood cancer and we had to put him down recently. Absolutely no clue if the stuff helped him get cancer or not, but cancer is common in labs, well many dogs actually. He did live to almost 12 and was very healthy until right at the end. 

Take it for what its worth.....

44 minutes ago, Legend said:

btw I only used vectra in spring summer and fall when ticks are active. 

Thanks for the info and hard to tell about the Vectra causing your Labs problems. We had 3 Labs at the same time and they all had to be put down before 12 years of age...bone cancer, diabetes and heart failure so who knows.🤷🏻
BTW they weren’t on Vectra but they were related...Dewey was the dad to Remy and Lewis. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Thanks for the info and hard to tell about the Vectra causing your Labs problems. We had 3 Labs at the same time and they all had to be put down before 12 years of age...bone cancer, diabetes and heart failure so who knows.🤷🏻
BTW they weren’t on Vectra but they were related...Dewey was the dad to Remy and Lewis. 

Rare time I want to click a Happy and Sad face. 

:):(

17 minutes ago, CFM said:

Rare time I want to click a Happy and Sad face. 

:):(

I hear ya...they were great dogs and just as nice as could be but for some reason they just had some issues which was sad but before that they had a great life...could not keep them out of the water.🐶🐶🐶🌞😎

43C593A8-94C8-4FD7-9EFF-BD966804B2B3.thumb.jpeg.5f5d2b2ad55fd4ed9b2f6ec616767931.jpeg

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1